PDA

View Full Version : What do you think this would cost?

ChadTheNomad
08-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I know this is probably asking a lot, but would you be so kind as to give a general idea of what you think the job in the attached picture would have cost?

12 tons of boulders
15x20 flagstone patio with pieces as large as 6x6
3 tons or so of stones for a dry creek
Excavation of a 15x20 sloped area with a height of about 7 feet

Just a ball park. I know you all don't like to talk numbers, and I understand. Are we looking at $10k, $20k here?

PatriotLandscape
08-22-2008, 09:09 PM
17 to 25k for a quick top level ballpark. depends on other costs and site conditions.

ChadTheNomad
08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
17 to 25k for a quick top level ballpark. depends on other costs and site conditions.

Thanks!. That gives me a good idea of what to expect.

PatriotLandscape
08-24-2008, 08:15 PM
is that your house?

bigviclbi
08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
It seems like you have two threads going here, one is for the patio and one is for pricing. Did you get a price befoe you started? Did you add alot to the original quote?

PaperCutter
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
If you're trying to beat your contractor up on price after the job's done, that's messed up.

ChadTheNomad
08-25-2008, 11:06 PM
If you're trying to beat your contractor up on price after the job's done, that's messed up.

Don't be so presumptuous. We agreed on a price and I paid it. He did a good job, and I'll be giving him some repeat business.

If you must know, I asked the question because I had a comment from someone else suggesting I should have paid a lot less. Even if that were true, there's nothing I can do about it now.

ChadTheNomad
08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
It seems like you have two threads going here, one is for the patio and one is for pricing. Did you get a price befoe you started? Did you add alot to the original quote?

You are correct. Yes, we had a signed contract for everything before they started.

Nothing underhanded is happening here. I'm merely trying to get a broader reflection from the folks on this forum as to the scale of what was accomplished.

punt66
08-25-2008, 11:11 PM
You are correct. Yes, we had a signed contract for everything before they started.

Nothing underhanded is happening here. I'm merely trying to get a broader reflection from the folks on this forum as to the scale of what was accomplished.

Job is done, your happy, move on.

PerfiCut L&L
08-26-2008, 07:04 AM
I agree, soemwhere in the $17k-$20k range. Depending on site conditions, access, and previous topography. Would have taken us about 5 to 6 days, again depending on accessability of equipment and such.

If you are happy with the final product and the price, then there shouldnt be any concerns. I'm sure you could have found someone to do the job for half the price, if you shopped around long enough. Question is, would it have been done right? probably not if they're willing to do it for that much less.

I suspect you probably recieved a quality installation that will last a lifetime. Enjoy it.

PaperCutter
08-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Don't be so presumptuous. We agreed on a price and I paid it. He did a good job, and I'll be giving him some repeat business.

If you must know, I asked the question because I had a comment from someone else suggesting I should have paid a lot less. Even if that were true, there's nothing I can do about it now.

I don't think it's all that presumptuous. You've been sounding as though you're teetering on the brink of buyer's remorse on both of these threads, so it's a fair concern.

There are so many variables that go into pricing a job, especially one like yours where there's cutting into a slope, removing spoils, and routing water that I don't see how asking here would give you an accurate gauge of appropriate cost. Even on a company by company basis there are differences in overhead, talent and experience, and specialization.

You seem to have a handle on the process, and it sounds like you did your homework up front by getting multiple estimates and actually interviewing candidates and getting a sense of their strengths. There's always someone who'll do a job cheaper, so ignore your friend unless he's the owner of the best landscape company in your area. You'll make yourself nuts if you start refiguring costs after it's all done. Trust me, we bought our house at the top of the market- it still kills me to look at what my neighbors are now paying. It's better to just say "I got what I wanted, it's the right thing for me, and that's what's important."

AztlanLC
08-26-2008, 09:40 PM
If somebody told you that is expensive and you are happy with it and already pay for it I'd feel proud of myself.
Just look at the job and see how beautiful it is, I'm sure someone would've done cheaper but maybe your treat now would be reading "what could've being done to prevent this mess"

PaperCutter
08-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey, what's up, Jorge? How's business in NY state?

AztlanLC
08-26-2008, 10:54 PM
hit and miss one week we are pretty busy next week we get slow, how about you.

PaperCutter
08-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Busy, but working for it- I'm drawing for a bunch of contractors and builders in VA, so I'm spending a lot of time on the road. I'm just hoping for a big September and October push.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-27-2008, 07:10 PM

Chad, theyre beating you up about it because frequently, customers research all over the internet to find out if they could have had work done cheaper, of course you'll find a person or company that would do it cheaper. Most clients come on sites like this, if they ever find them, and ask because they get to the end of a job and for whatever number of reasons, dont want to pay the final bill.

I had a very long time satisfied client with a patio we did this past spring, he was fine until it was almost completed, then the list of problems started coming to us over email. Unhappy about this and that, fixed all issues and he still now doesn't want to pay, why? Because someone told him they could do the job 6k cheaper than we did it, and another told him they could do a better job, maybe they could. Another told him theyve done patios that are 10x the size for LESS. Liars, either way, we are going to loose a good customer and still have not been paid in the end because he thinks negatively about our company.