PDA

View Full Version : Encore Hydro Walk Mowers

lawnman
01-07-2000, 09:19 AM
I am looking to buy a new 52&quot; mower in the Spring and I would like to know about the reliability, do they stripe nice and how well do they bag. I can get one for about $1000 less than a Scag Mower and the dealer is very accomodating to the needs of a small business as I am. Any suggestions or comments?????<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

jsteveharris
01-07-2000, 02:41 PM
I used a 60&quot; Encore WB and it scalped terribly, I was trying it out and decided it did not do a good looking job. I just bought a Scag ultimate 48 hydro and it does much better than the encore. I would spend the extra and get the scag. Email me if you have any questions about the scag.<p>----------<br>Steve Harris<br>From The Ground Up Landscaping

Lazer
01-08-2000, 05:54 AM
Spend the extra dough on a Scag. You'll get part of the extra money back when you sell it and the rest of the money back in fewer repairs. <p>There's a reason why the Encore is 1000.00 less. Are you comparing same engine, deck size, (floating deck?) and drive type.<p>I believe having a top dealer to work with is worth a lot. I also have found cutting corners on new equipment purchases is a poor way to boost the long-term bottom line.

lawnman
01-08-2000, 06:55 AM
Lazer, I'm comparing it with the same set up and I do beleive the dealer is giving me a good price as he gave me on my Ferris. the Ferris was $6oo cheaper then the other Ferris dealers. I have had problems with the Scag dealer. I have a Turf Tiger and the clutch went on it and it took two weeks to fix it. I myself have always felt Scags were a better quality mower, however, a couple years ago I ran into a lemon the &quot;Turf Runner&quot;. This piece of junk was in the shop more than on the turf.... My wife finally raised such a fuss with the manufacturer that they swapped it for the Tiger which I am pretty satisfied with. This is why I need some input before I shell out any money, I don't want to go through that again and cannot afford to have down time with repairs. Again this dealer is really accomodating and bends over backwards to put me ahead realizing I don't have 15 trucks to pick up the slack. The Ferris is a great machine with excellent stripes, however, the bagging needs critiquing. It doesn't fill the bags no matter what we try.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

Lazer
01-08-2000, 07:06 AM
I hope your dealer gave you a demo to use while yours was in the shop for 2 weeks!<p>I think I'd buy a Ferris before I bought a Encore. Why not try the new Ferris ZTR with the suspension? A lot of guys are buying those. <p>A far as the bagging, why not use a Trac-Vac, too clumsy on a walk-behind? I would fabricate my own hookup for a bagger if needed, before switching mower brands.<p>It sounds like you've got a great dealer and I would buy from him regardless of what brand you'll be using.

Retro67
01-08-2000, 08:48 AM
I agree with Lazer. I have a Dual Drive Hydro walk behind by Ferris. You wouldn't be disappointed in the quality. Also been on the IS Ferris. Nice machine.<p>John

lawnman
01-08-2000, 10:24 AM
I do have a Trac-vac and it does a nice job but not on hill's.The Ferris I own is also very hard on hands as with the Encore it's like squeezing butter and look's like a good machine as well. the dealer say's it's good mower but I have not talk to any owners of them to back it up. Im also looking at Lesco's. Lazer the dealer would not give me a loaner. They were all out. <p>----------<br>spreble<br>

Lazer
01-08-2000, 10:34 AM
Lesco is a reactionary design. They have always been. They offer lawn mowers so they can be full service. I'll buy their Fert/Control Products all day long, but wouldn't touch their mowers. Their machines aren't bad, but they are always 5 years behind everbody else.<p>I'm probably really offending some guys here, but when ExMark, Ferris, Scag, etc. are busting their fanny coming out with new products and innovative designs, why would you buy a machine from somebody's who not cutting edge?<p>Plus many Lesco mowers (i.e. Viper) are built by MTD. (no further comment needed)

lawnman
01-08-2000, 03:14 PM
Lazer, I thought Lesco is making the mowers for MTD, and MTD just came out with there mowers this past season??????... There is a lawncare company out our way that has switched to all Lescos mowers and has had good luck with them. Boy if it isn't going to snow this winter, I am tempted to go out and mow mud!!!!!!! Give me something to do! What walk behind mowers do you use?

Eric ELM
01-08-2000, 03:46 PM
If what I heard is true, your both wrong. I heard MTD started making the Lesco Viper and then Lesco built a factory next to MTD and have their own guys assemble them using MTD parts, so Lesco can say they build them. I don't know how true this is. The only difference I can see is Viper has a Kawasaki engine and MTD has a Kohler engine and of course the paint. I did test drive one that a guy I know bought and I won't be switching over to them I know.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

Lazer
01-08-2000, 06:57 PM
lawnman,<p>We use all Exmark mowers-walkbehind and ZTR. We've got the dealer for them and that's 1/2 the decision. ExMark's innovation is also part. I like some other brands as well, but the dealer makes the whole thing go for me.

geogunn
01-08-2000, 09:00 PM
hello gang! I think it's time I weighed in on the lesco issue. I use an older 48 in. belt that has done an awsome job. I've used (abused as necessary while I was trying to build my buisness) for three years and the machine had lived a full life with a pro-contractor before I bought it. it's probably at least eight years old and still striping! the darned thing is tough as nails, built like a rock, hasn't been to the shop since I've owned it! I've maintained the thing loyally and have had so few problems that I actually don't mind performing preventive maintainance for what it costs. I'm looking to pick up a newer (almost new) hydro unit and I'm looking at all models including lesco. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, BUT, I wouldn't sell the farm to pay more for a lesco! there are lots of great machines to choose from out there including lesco.<p>lawnman--I've never used an encore but I've looked at them. I think I'd prefer to go with a little higher end mower. I use the front caster arms as one of the indicators to look at. tube steel for casters doesn't seem to be the way to go for me. I like the rigidity of cast iron, like on my machine. good luck! <p>if I were going to buy a new machine, I'd have to consider the dealer service after the sale. I'm not too convinced that my lesco dealer would rate very high in service after the sale, including quick turn around and a loaner machine. they only got one repairman and he's usually not there when I am. sorry guys if you are online. Iduno, lesco service is something that I hear alot of complaints about.<p>eric, did you get my e-mail about the toro? price is good but I think I need to go hydro.<p>the days are getting longer, lets all get ready to go get 'em!<p>GEO

jeffclc
01-09-2000, 05:10 AM
From what I have heard, and READ in a trade magzine(can't remember which one, will look for article later)<br>In October 1996, LESCO announced a joint venture with MTD<br> Products Inc. The joint venture, Commercial Turf Products, Ltd.<br> (CTP), elevates LESCO to the front ranks of equipment producers<br> with world-class manufacturing capability and the expertise to<br> innovate. Full production began in early 1998 in a newly-acquired<br> plant in Streetsboro, Ohio.<br>This is copied directly from the Lesco website.<p>I have looked briefly at the Lesco and MTD lines of commercial equipment, and they are not the same as the MTD that most are thinking of, the home center mowers. They are heavy duty commercial units with features comprable to other similar mowers.<p>I don't own a Lesco mower, but do won a couple of small pieces of their equipment. As far as the service level there, it is second to none. I have spent maybe $1000 at Lesco over the years, and I get treated better there than at a dealer that I spent $10,000 at.

moonarrow
01-09-2000, 08:18 AM
concerning the lesco equip. Iwould'nt have one on my truck I operated them for a company in Dallas doing stictly apartment complexes did not stripe good worked my but off, and continous problems. I now own a wright stander for my own business , stripes well very manuverable, easily operable, and has presented no problems, in my opion a great machine i'm 50 yrs. old and the ease and speed of operation is easy on me love it good luck<p>----------<br>Dale Robins owner<br>Southern lawn and Landscape

geogunn
01-09-2000, 09:30 AM
moonarrow--I'll agree with you that there are machines out there that are easier to operate than my lesco belt drive 48. but if you own a piece of equipment that lays down a prettier stripe than my lesco I'd like to see it! post us a couple of pics if you got 'em. have a great day!<p>GEO

Eric ELM
01-09-2000, 01:13 PM
Geo, this is just the opposite of what was posted on the old forum. A friend of mine has a Lesco and says it stripes great and there was a Thread on the old forum wondering why his stander sucked at striping. If I remember right, several had the same problem. I only know of one company around us using them and their lawns look horrible. Maybe they don't have them set up right or something. Anyway, John we believe you, but like Geo said, if you could post some pictures, we would like to see them. If you don't have a site, email me a picture and I'll post it on my site for you and link it to your profiles if you want. We aren't getting any snow up here, so I have plenty of time. I'll even coach you through making your own web pages. I'm no expert, but I have a site, thanks to Chuck Smith. Feel free to check out Dixie Chopper stripes. :)<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

Lazer
01-09-2000, 06:34 PM
The old rigid deck, deep formed steel deck Lesco's striped really nice. (ie. Bobcat, exMark, etc.) The new floating, shallow stamped deck (MTD &quot;innovation&quot;) doesn't put down much of a stripe. (ie. Toro)

MRPLOW
01-11-2000, 07:44 AM
It's the Great Dane Stander that I have heard and personally seen have problems with striping. Moonarrow has the Wright Stander which is a different machine. I have never heard anything good or bad about thw Wright machine, maybe moonarrow could give us a review because it appears to be a better machine.

Black Water
11-27-2003, 09:37 PM
Does any one here use Encore equipment? It looks liked the consensus in 2000 was that they scalped badly. How about now? They do cost less than most others, and i know the old saying," Ya get what ya pay for". But are they that horrible? If so then why are they still in business?

I was doing some research on 42-48" fixed deck gear drive walks with at least a 15hp. Kaw. Some prices that i revived from local dealers are as follows,

Toro 44" Pistol Grip 15 Kaw. $3600.
Scag 48" 15 Kaw. $2800. I thought this was a damn good price!
Exmark 48" Metro ECS 15 Kaw.$3699.
John Deere 48" 14 Kaw.:( $2725.
Encore 48" Premier 15 Kaw. $2489.

Now, i certainly can think of several other things i could spend that left over money on, but do you guys think going the Encore route, i would be spending that left over money on repair bills for this more economical mower? Is it, " Pay me now, or pay me later" scenario?

Somebody's gotta be buying em.