PDA

View Full Version : "please put down grub killer"

bobbyge
08-23-2008, 12:33 PM
customer called and asked for grub killer to be applied. now, her primary grass type is a nutsedge and crabgrass mix. i explained that i didn't think she should be concerned about grubs. she insisted regardless that i apply. would you? and what

LawnTamer
08-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Time to break out the kitty litter Bobby.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I would. If they're adamant and you've plead your case, then you may as well make some money. You can't fix stupid.

Hissing Cobra
08-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't apply it at all - unless you find grubs. Aren't we supposed to follow the label, which is the law?

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't apply it at all - unless you find grubs. Aren't we supposed to follow the label, which is the law?

Yeah. Which would mean a significant # of applications/treatments would prove ineffective. Aren't you always supposed to comply with speed limits? Aren't you supposed to record all cash payments? Aren't you supposed to itemize the minutes of all business lunches?

I know there are those who will disagree, but there are some things that look good on paper and serve as a guard to keep us in check...

And THEN there are real world practices. I don't know about you, but I'm in this to make money. If a service calls for something extra, then do it. I'd bet 90% of us know this to be a business reality - whether folks will admit to it or not.

JDUtah
08-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Doctors prescribe unnecessary medicines for things like common colds..

If they tell the 'stupid patient' (as appears in this case) that it isn't needed and they wont do it.. the patient will simply find another doctor that complies...

Bobby already tried to educate the customer who still wants it.

rcreech
08-23-2008, 03:53 PM

#1- If you educate the customer...this should't even be an issue.

Hissing,

I see what you are saying....but how do you put down a PREVENTATIVE grub treatment if that is the case? If you wait to see grubs or damage then you are too late?

I mean that is like saying we shouldn't put down PRE EMREGERNT CRAB in early April because there isn't any crabgrass (but it hasn't germed yet). Lets wait and see if it comes up and then put it on!

Does that make sense?

That is just my take...although I do think IPM is important!

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-23-2008, 04:25 PM

I wish... If my customers actually took the advice they solicited from me I'd be ecstatic. Proper watering, alone, would make me the happiest guy in the industry...

rcreech
08-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I wish... If my customers actually took the advice they solicited from me I'd be ecstatic. Proper watering, alone, would make me the happiest guy in the industry...

I think watering is more laziness then anything. We can train and educate the customer all day and they may even undestand...but they don't want to take the time to do it! I don't blame them though....I don't water my lawn!

I see this as being a little different when getting to applications. Training and education is needed so they understand the "why's".

You guys would kill me if you seen how many grub apps I "turn down".

I do a lot of mole control, and the first thing people want me to do is get rid of their grubs (even with the mole control).

I explain to them about the moles eating habits and even then some still question me! I tell them...if I am trying to talk you out of my service then is has to benefit you!

Then they believe me and I also think this is a great way to build trust with them!

I love being honest and educating my customers! It is the best feeling I get out of my job!

bobbyge
08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
done. $75 for 2 lbs of starter fertilizer. now now, some of you may say, "starter fertilizer doesn't kill grubs." i beg to differ.......i'm certain by tommorow at this time, you will not find any grubs in that lawn

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
I think watering is more laziness then anything. We can train and educate the customer all day and they may even undestand...but they don't want to take the time to do it! I don't blame them though....I don't water my lawn!

Not the issue out here. 85% of the folks here have automatic sprinkler systems. It's just that so many of these fools are at one extreme or the other:

--Water every day for 15 minutes. (Doesn't even get the dirt wet).
--Water every weekend for 2 hours a station (and somehow think that water is still there and being useful to the grass for a full week).

People are just funny about it out here. It's the desert and watering screw ups can toast a lawn in a matter of a couple days. Yet when these folks are educated, they disregard my experience and expertise and do what THEY think makes sense.

We're actually considering making it mandatory that WE run all our customers' automatic systems next season...

JDUtah
08-23-2008, 05:11 PM
HAHA! :laugh: I bet you're right.. no grubs tomorrow.

JDUtah
08-23-2008, 05:15 PM
Not the issue out here. 85% of the folks here have automatic sprinkler systems. It's just that so many of these fools are at one extreme or the other:

--Water every day for 15 minutes. (Doesn't even get the dirt wet).
--Water every weekend for 2 hours a station (and somehow think that water is still there and being useful to the grass for a full week).

People are just funny about it out here. It's the desert and watering screw ups can toast a lawn in a matter of a couple days. Yet when these folks are educated, they disregard my experience and expertise and do what THEY think makes sense.

We're actually considering making it mandatory that WE run all our customers' automatic systems next season...

Yup, the best part of it is that there is some state water conservation program now. Every night on the news they say... "well, if you watered today, you don't need to water for at least 5 more days." The public eats it up because it's a "state" program. Uphill battle when ignorance is broadcast every night on the news.

If I stay in Utah my business model is full service ONLY... and yup, complete control over irrigation is included in that. :hammerhead:

LawnTamer
08-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Yup, the best part of it is that there is some state water conservation program now. Every night on the news they say... "well, if you watered today, you don't need to water for at least 5 more days." The public eats it up because it's a "state" program. Uphill battle when ignorance is broadcast every night on the news.

I really appreciate it when we get .05" of rain and they tell everybody to turn off their sprinklers. Very helpful.

mikesturf
08-24-2008, 11:15 AM
done. $75 for 2 lbs of starter fertilizer. now now, some of you may say, "starter fertilizer doesn't kill grubs." i beg to differ.......i'm certain by tommorow at this time, you will not find any grubs in that lawn

This above quote is from the same genius who recommends to save money on fertilizer we should shoplift it from Home Depot.

Hissing Cobra
08-24-2008, 12:15 PM

Hissing,

I see what you are saying....but how do you put down a PREVENTATIVE grub treatment if that is the case? If you wait to see grubs or damage then you are too late?

I mean that is like saying we shouldn't put down PRE EMREGERNT CRAB in early April because there isn't any crabgrass (but it hasn't germed yet). Lets wait and see if it comes up and then put it on!

Does that make sense?

That is just my take...although I do think IPM is important!

I agree with what you're saying and with Crabgrass preemergent controls and Grub controls, applying at the right times is crucial. If this customer's lawn is a mixture of Crabgrass and Nutsedge, chances are, it hasn't been maintained properly and the customer HAS NOT been educated at all. Why else would they want a grub curative applied? It is up to us to educate our customers and to apply the proper products at the right times. In the past, I would get calls from my customers to "apply a product to kill grubs". I would set up a time and visit the customer during my day (making sure I had plenty of billable applications in the same area). I would then scan the lawn for grub activity. If I found them, I would apply Dylox, if not, I would educate my customer as much as possible before moving on to the next billable application.

Of course we're all in this to make money but doing the wrong thing (such as applying starter fertilizer to cure grub problems) IS NOT the way to do things.

DLCS
08-24-2008, 12:28 PM
hey Booby,

When did you move to France. Joisy boy living in France.:laugh::laugh:

rcreech
08-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Of course we're all in this to make money but doing the wrong thing (such as applying starter fertilizer to cure grub problems) IS NOT the way to do things.

Totally agree! That is where morals and ethics come in!

That is just plum lying and stealing if you ask me!

I am WAY TOO HONEST to be a good salesman!

I ONLY apply what is needed, when needed!

I can see where most make a lot of money by taking advantage of the homeowner!

But I guess this is America...so screw em'....and live big! :laugh:

Victor
08-24-2008, 02:24 PM
hey Booby,

When did you move to France. Joisy boy living in France.:laugh::laugh:

You're spot-on Mike!!!!! That's got to be Bobby Gedd. Only he would make the kind of comments this guy is making. I'd bet my house on it! Welcome back Bobby! :laugh:

jbturf
08-24-2008, 09:49 PM
now what if the turf(all be it weeds) is being rototilled by critters
like skunks and crows looking for grubs?
would that not warrant a currative app

not sure what the circumstances really are with bobby, heck maybe hes
talking bout his own lawn over in france

iluvscag
08-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Look what the cat drug in. My best troll.

americanlawn
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
We had a customer last week call in. Said she had brown areas with grubs and needed grub control a.s.a.p. (She also said her neighbor across the street treated for grubs). So we went out and applied Dylox. We left her a note saying we did not find any obvious grub damage occurring, but the treatment would take care of any grubworms once the treatment was thoroughly watered in.

3 or 4 days later, she sent a full page e-mail "scolding" us for making the grubworm application. She wanted a reply "asking for our thoughts" :confused: as to why we came out & treated for grubworms.

Needless to say, we have yet to respond (probably even won't). If I hear from her again, I'll ask her if she demands a pizza "a.s.a.p.", why should we deliver it? :laugh:

LawnTamer
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
now what if the turf(all be it weeds) is being rototilled by critters
like skunks and crows looking for grubs?
would that not warrant a currative app

not sure what the circumstances really are with bobby, heck maybe hes
talking bout his own lawn over in france

Despite the image of Pepé la Pugh, there are no skunks in France.

bobbyge
08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
We had a customer last week call in. Said she had brown areas with grubs and needed grub control a.s.a.p. (She also said her neighbor across the street treated for grubs). So we went out and applied Dylox. We left her a note saying we did not find any obvious grub damage occurring, but the treatment would take care of any grubworms once the treatment was thoroughly watered in.

3 or 4 days later, she sent a full page e-mail "scolding" us for making the grubworm application. She wanted a reply "asking for our thoughts" :confused: as to why we came out & treated for grubworms.

Needless to say, we have yet to respond (probably even won't). If I hear from her again, I'll ask her if she demands a pizza "a.s.a.p.", why should we deliver it? :laugh:

you applied a curative grub treatment, when u knew there were no grubs?

tlg
08-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Totally agree! That is where morals and ethics come in!

That is just plum lying and stealing if you ask me!

I am WAY TOO HONEST to be a good salesman!

I ONLY apply what is needed, when needed!

I can see where most make a lot of money by taking advantage of the homeowner!

But I guess this is America...so screw em'....and live big! :laugh:

Don't sell yourself short here. The best salesman out there are the honest ones. Sooner or later everything comes full circle and the dishonest get what they got coming. It's a lot harder to perpetuate lies and be deceitful then to be truthful. It's harder to remember lies. In sales the truth should always be number one. They day I sell something to a customer they don't need I will close the doors for good. We don't need the money that bad. It sounds to me like you are a GOOD salesman.