PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying grassy weed

msm10301
08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm a homeowner that is new to this forum, and I could use some help identifying a grassy weed that is taking over my back yard. I've attached some pics to try and help. Basically this stuff is spreading along the ground and you can pull it up in clumps. It turns brown in areas and only the tip remain green. Any ideas for identification and control would be appreciated. I live in Michigan

tamadrummer
08-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Looks like common bermuda grass.

I have not seen any effective way to get rid of the stuff. I am close friends with one of the biggest Fert/Squirt companies in the area and they have been testing all kinds of products to reduce the infestations here and nothing is providing positive results.

msm10301
08-23-2008, 11:08 PM
OK, so what do I do to get rid of it? Roundup the infested areas? It there a type of grass that I can overseed with that will be more dominant than the the Bermuda grass in Michigan?

Sweet Tater
08-24-2008, 03:19 PM
around here Burmuda grass is like herpes, once ou've got it, you've got it for good. you can round up it but it will be a forever fight.

msm10301
08-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks Sweet Tater, I see your in the deep south, I'm wondering if I can overseed this fall with a more competitive desirable grass that will choke out the Burmuda.

huskres
08-25-2008, 12:07 AM
only thing that chokes out bermuda is crabgrass...not a good option

mngrassguy
08-26-2008, 01:31 AM
Bermuda in Michigan? I don't think so. I think the frost would kill it, but I've been wrong before. Round-up should take care of it.

nmurph
08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
i don't know what kind of grass you have the bermuda in, but Sethoxydim (aka Poast or Grass Getter and others, i'm sure) will kill it and bahia, as well. i have killed both in my centipede yard. the grass needs to be actively growing. do not cut the grass for a week or so bf or after application and heed the warnings regarding application in high temps. you will likely have to continue the battle with some type of pre-emergent, as any seeds that have previously dropped will sprout. it may take 2-3 years to totally eradicate it.

44DCNF
08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Look up nimblewill and see if that doesn't resemble what you have there.

44DCNF
08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
As for bermuda in Michigan, I don't go there much, but I do believe it is there. I am constantly fending off bermuda from a neighbors lawn here in the Chicago area. They told me it came from pines transplanted from their michigan home. It's roots can go quite deep and that must be why it survives the winters. I have pulled roots out from 24 inches down.

martman100
09-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I have the same thing in spots in Louisville, KY nimblewill I believe is your pain. Common bermuda has much larger stalks with larger foliage. The nimblewill is just as much pain but does not grow near as deep. I use round up but I hate having to do that each year. I notice that if I pull or kill off and use a pre-emergent (lesco is the best) this stuff usually does not win.

Something I discovered this year. It has been very hot and dry here so I took ortho crabgrass killer and sprayed the view shoots of crabcrass in the front yard. I also sprayed the nimblewill. With the temps and sun the nimblewill bit the dust. This only worked in areas that have a lot of sun and direct heat.

The worst part about nimblewill is it will grow as tall as needed to sustain sunlight. The only way to beat it is with a very thick lawn and not cutting too short in the heated months. Good watering habits in the summer to keep your cool season grass happy so it can compete against the bad guys.