PDA

View Full Version : grey mold on bermuda???

Care Free LC
08-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I have noticed recently on two of my accounts that have bermuda grass, a grey powdery substance in apple sized patches on the lawn. Does any one know what this is??? it has the color and consistancy of graphite powder. It is on the entire plant and does not only get on bermuda. I have seen on surrounding areas and crabgrass too. it has sort of a greasy feel to it and leaves a blackish grey residue on your hands when touched. It grows it aple sied spots in a small area of the lawn. I thought it might be slime mold, but i just found pictures of that and it is not the same. One of the lawms is watered every morning at 2am for 15 minutes and the lawn stays wet down about 3/4 inch all the time. The other lawn she waters by hand and not very often. We just got a lot of rain here, but hers it sloped so it should run off and not hold water well. I thought it was a fungus of some sort, but cant find any pics online of it. You guys seen this? should i worry or will it go away when we dry up some?

Any help...
Robert

ted putnam
08-24-2008, 12:34 AM
It is called Grey Snow Mold. Not to worry. It will cause no damage to the lawn. Other than being a little unsightly, it's nothing to worry about. It should go away when things dry up a little. Have your customers water a little closer to dawn. That way the lawn gets all the water it needs and any excess dries. Water sitting on the grass in the dark for 4-5 hrs breeds fungus. On certain grass types, that type of watering practice would reek havoc at certain times of the year. good luck.

ted putnam
08-24-2008, 12:48 AM
:hammerhead:Sorry...It's called Gray Slime Mold or just "Slime Mold". Like I said before, it does not feed on or cause damage to the turf.

RigglePLC
08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Snow mold, Ted? OK, I agree, slime mold--not really harmful.