PDA

View Full Version : Making the sale (getting the account)

Big Lebowski
08-23-2008, 11:14 PM
So today I am doing some hedges for a woman that was a walk up from another hedge I was doing. I hate hedges so I always overbid them. Other guys I know like them. Me? I hate the ladders and stretching and all those little green bits that won't come off because I am so damn sweaty. It ended up being $85 an hour.

Anywho, I talk to her about a few other things like edging her flower beds, seeding the bare spots - explaining that fall is the best time of year to seed, planting shrubs, trees and so on. But what I really wanted was the weekly maintenance so I could stay close and sell all those other items above. She wasn't exactly sold on me mowing since she just bought a new mower and her live-in daughter did it etc.

So what I wanted to share with you was some of the things I said to get the account (all very casual - never high pressure). I explained to her that very few of the accounts I have were well-to-do but rather everyday folks that just simply didn't have time to do it themselves or didn't want to spend their time off mowing their lawns when they could be doing other things like enjoying family time etc. - She understood this completely. I also told her that her lawn gets taken care of, on-time and on-schedule no matter what she might have going on in her life. She never needs to think or worry about it. I said it was like the difference of going and getting a newspaper everyday or having it delivered (this one I came up with off-the-cuff and thought it was brilliant!).

I got the mow account and scheduled the seeding for next week. The rest will happen before the month is up.

So it was a victory I wanted to share.

TCS Landscaping
08-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Good job. That newspaper thing makes it feel relevant to your customer. Way to think on your feet!

ALC-GregH
08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
"I said it was like the difference of going and getting a newspaper everyday or having it delivered"

I gotta remember that line. Very good salemanship if ya ask me.

I always felt using yourself as a example to the customer that we have the same problems as them is a way to relate to them, or them to you. I've sold big auto repair jobs by letting the customer know that I've had the same bad luck as them and it cost me to repair it as well. It makes them feel that their not the only one with a problem and really breaks the ice so to speak.