PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailer functionality?

Shady Brook
08-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I am kicking around the idea of a dump trailer, and there appear to be many fine units out there. There also seems to be a wide range in design, which makes picking the right one quite a challenge. I would like to hear from fellas that have them, and how they work for them.

Some questions I have are.
Do you have to dump all your material on the ground, or shovel it out as needed? I like the coal chute on my dump truck as I can just funnel material into a wheel barrow, or loader bucket. I would hate to always dump stone on the ground. I see no other option with the deck height of the dump trailer.

Do you find that the dump trailer can be a pain sometimes as getting it to a dump location does not always work out due to its size and unweildy character?

Can you scoop material out of the dump trailer using a mini skid, or bobcat to keep from dumping the material on the ground, or are the dumps not strong enough for this?

If you really get down to it, do you save money by having the dump? I mean with the added fuel to tow it over a conventional trailer, and inconvenience of loading machinery into it due to its high deck height, the added wear and tear pulling a big load, over just paying a delivery charge thoughout the year to get material to your site?

I go back and forth, but it always seems if you need something like a dump trailer, you might be better off with a medium duty truck with a 14 foot contractor bed...

I would love to hear thoughts, or experiences from those who have owned these units. Are there uses I am not considering that make them a great aid.

Thanks
SB

GravelyNut
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
If you were in the "Hurricane Belt", that is about all you see after a storm. For every semi being loaded there are about 6 of the Big Tex gooseneck dumps. One storm pays for the trailer.

After the storms, people use them for hauling mulch and other materials. I've seen quite a few hauling a skidsteer so it can't be too bad.

iowa
08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I love mine wouldnt trade it for anything. I have a load trail 14' gooseneck

BrandonV
08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
if you are mainly a construction based company get the med duty truck. If you're only going for occasionally use the dump trailer would be the ticket.

mybowtie
08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
A Low Profile dump trailer realy isnt that high. Some have ramps for loading equipment. Can even get fold down sides for loading pallets of product.

I like the deckovers..little higher, but I can fit in tighter places with it....:usflag:

PerfectEarth
08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
As said, get a low-profile dump trailer. I don't really like the deck-overs.... The LPs are so easy to work out of. You don't have to dump the mulch or soil if you don't want- you can scoops out of the back. I ramp up into it with a wheelbarrow to dump debris. I have a Toro Dingo also and it dumps over the side of it just fine.

It can be tight in places but I have had no problems so far- just take it easy.... Get a 10,000# or above cause the weight of the trailer alone is heavy and you want to be able to load it up to the GVWR, minus the tare weight.... Make sure you have truck big enough to haul it WITH trailer brakes. My Bri-Mar has ramps underneath that are awesome!

Charge deliver for easy mulch dump jobs and such... I pull mine with a f-550 dump, but be sure if you have a larger truck (say a F-450 and above with a 12,000# plus trailer) you won;t need a CDL. I had to get mine just because of a measly 2,000#s.

howierd3866
08-24-2008, 08:34 PM
perfectearth is on target..I use a small 6yd when needed but have been looking at gooseneck rolloff type with dual axles that way can get some extra boxes if needed..a trailer doesn't cost you if it seat at the shop for six month like a dump truck will. You can still haul equipment on them load and unload from side and can have a chute built on one.

wellbuilt
08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
I love mine I have 12' 12000 lb low deck .I was Jading my 8000lb EX in the box. It low to load wheel barrows off the back but we would drive up on ramps so we could dump load. I can dump into my skidsteer bucket. I can scoop dirt out with my EX . Ive pulled 5 yards of stone with it 'around 19000lb The guy at the stone yard used the 5 yard bucket not the 3 yard bucket. JP makes a 14' dump that sits very low. My dump is 28" off the ground with 7' ramps I have a 16' flat bed now for the skid and the EX.I have a ford LCF L45 16000lb .I have 10000 lb plates on the trailers to stay under 26000lbs (No CDL) I dont no why i never had a dump trailer before. I have 2 12' 12000lbs and 1 10' 7000 lbs . I get mine used I have my eye on a 12' for sale if it gos cheep i will grab it up. The trailer is a pain to pull every day .I love my dump truck two.

Shady Brook
08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok, you guys are pretty persuasive. I would have to go with a tag, and I would want a 14-16k unit, ideally with a 16 foot bed, 14 as a min. I looked at one brand today locally, and it was a Nomanco. I was not impressed. To me it seemed very light duty as far as the bottom and sides. It did not look reinforced for heavy work.

What units are proven winners in this class?
From what I have read the Baker Built is a beast, but I am not sure they are in business anymore.
The Moritz looks tough, as well as Brimar, PJ, Liberty, Felling, Suretrac. Is there any other brands I should consider?

I think having a heavy duty floor would be a big plus, I just do see 10 gauge lasting long. Any thoughts on what to look for reinforcement wise, low deck height and things of this nature would be wonderful.

Thanks again fellas!
SB

scagtiger
08-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a bri-mar tag along and a load trail gooseneck and wouldnt trade either one... we can easily scoop material out with a bobcat.. i definately would avoid a deck over i know a few people that have em and they hate them

BrandonV
08-26-2008, 04:20 PM
why no love for the deckovers?

Shady Brook
08-26-2008, 09:35 PM
The deckovers look very interesting, especially with the fold down sides. It seems they are not all that much taller then some of the non deckover dumps. Are they poor as far as weight distribution when cornering? Any other thoughts on quality brands?

scagtiger
08-26-2008, 09:40 PM
The deckovers look very interesting, especially with the fold down sides. It seems they are not all that much taller then some of the non deckover dumps. Are they poor as far as weight distribution when cornering? Any other thoughts on quality brands?

they dont seem pull as smooth as the non deckovers... i would look into bri-mar and load trails... i looked at every trailer out there and these by far seem to be the best built trailers out there

cddva
08-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I'll give a thumbs up on the Bri-Mar dump. I have a tag type 7'x14' 12K# with dual cylinders, barn door and dump style gate, 6 d-rings and ramps. Great trailer, I use it to haul a mini-ex as well as the usual materials/debris. Well built trailer!

pjtrailerguy
08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
The PJ or Load Trail dump trailers from my experience seem to be the best built trailer for the money. The PJ is the widest lo-pro dump on the market with a full 83" wide inside the bed. They are also standard with amenities such as LED lights, tarp roller bracket, battery, loading ramps, d-rings, stake pockets, 10 guage metal. Another thing that PJ does that very few do is fabricated sides where the side meets the floor is not welded, it is bent at a 90 degree and welded down the center of the trailer. Every time you dump it cleans out the corner and won't rot out the trailer in time. The PJ is much superior to a Brimar. I've seen Brimars in our shop here in PA. They're built an hour away from here. Light duty. Thin steel. Battery extra cost. High priced. Nowhere near the quality of a PJ. PJ's 14' 14000 dump weighs app 4500 lbs empty which is one of the heaviest duty dumps on the market. Available at almost any PJ dealer for $7000 tops. You would never regret buying a PJ. PS one more thing to make sure you specify is POWER DOWN. Gravity down dump trailers take a LONG time to bring down in the winter when the oil is cold. If you are looking at a PJ it is a standard feature.

Merlin300
09-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Everything PJtrailerguy says is true. I have the 14' 14,000 lb gooseneck dump and love it. The only problem I have had is with the China made wheel bearings. I have replaced them with better bearings. I still have a problem with one wheel getting hotter then the others, and it is not the brakes. I have had a mechanic look at it and he is stumped.

Other than the wheel heating up problem, I think they are the best going. The only thing I can add to the above post, is the powder coat paint is the cats ass.

Axl
09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
You need to check out the HILLSBORO TUFF LOADER dump trailers

http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Products/DumpTrailers.aspx

Shady Brook
09-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the input fellas! The Hillsborro looks like a very nice and well thought out unit. I did talk to a fella today who strongly advocated the PJ, as many on here also do. He claimed you can get a wheel barrow under the dump and dump into the barrow.....I really doubt it. Any truth to his comment. I claimed the deck was 30"....which is tall, but not likely good enough for a barrow. He also claimed there is no problem loading a tractor, or bobcat....which I believe, but with an implement on the back of a tractor.... I would think you are in for a good time. The fella also said the biggest problem with the dump trailers is the battery. He says they trickle charge, and often do not charge enough to dump, leaving you stranded with a shovel, or in need of some type of jump device.... any thoughts?

Any other opinions would be wonderful!
SB

Merlin300
09-04-2008, 07:13 AM
My P.J. came with a deep cycle marine battery that is charged by my truck. I have NEVER had a problem with a dead battery, even with several cycles during a day. As for dumping in a wheel barrow, it is to low to dump into one. I can shovel into one though while it is down, the wheel barrow fits perfectly up to the bottom of the trailer.

Loading a tractor in it works fine with a loader on the front. With a implement on the back and no loader, it is a challenge to keep the front end down. It also helps to raise the trailer a tad, to reduce the incline. Just be careful if the floor is wet.

pjtrailerguy
09-04-2008, 07:18 PM
We also have very few problems with batteries going dead because they do trickle charge off the truck but if you wanted a standby charger PJ offers a 120 volt charger that simply plugs into a wall outlet and wires up to your battery with 2 wires. It only costs app $75 and you would be able to charge it when it is unhooked from your truck. At least 99% of the time when a dump trailer battery runs dead it is because the trucks charging wire fuse is blown and the owner is unaware of it. With a good deep cycle battery (PJ uses an Interstate deep cycle) you should have no problems keeping it charged up.

Shady Brook
09-04-2008, 08:22 PM
It is interesting that the dealer has so much trouble charging up the batteries. He told me that you could drain the battery, drive a thousand miles, and the battery would still not be charged enough with the trickle to dump a load..... Sounded odd to me. I can not imagine anyone buying these things if they were that much of a problem to dump.

Is the PJ really at about 30" deck height? That sounds almost as tall as a deck over. My equipment hauler is about 25". With a 2 foot dove tail and 5 foot ramps, it can still be a belly drag if I have to load a Super Z, or have my backhoe hanging off the tractor. I can not imagine 30" with no dove tail and a six foot ramp.

Off the subject a bit, but what do you guys do with all your hand tools, or bed egers/compactors and stuff when you haul your dump trailers? Do you guys fabricate some racks that do not rise with the dump.

Any other thoughts or experiences.
SB

scagtiger
09-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Off the subject a bit, but what do you guys do with all your hand tools, or bed egers/compactors and stuff when you haul your dump trailers? Do you guys fabricate some racks that do not rise with the dump.

Any other thoughts or experiences.
SB

i made wood sides for my dump and made hand tool racks and i strap down bed egders and other tools using the d-rings in the trailer

Merlin300
09-04-2008, 11:49 PM
I just ran out and measured my P.J. From the ground to the floor is almost 30". My ramps are 6'. Like I said before, you can tilt the trailer up to reduce the height and incline.

As far as tools, I put them between the beams of the goose neck and strap them in.

Shady Brook
09-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I checked into the 14 ft Hilsborro dump trailer...very nice looking trailer. Best price I found was $8600 plus tax..... Wow!

Thanks for your input on your equipment holding ideas, I really appreciate it.

I will try to go see some units when time permits.

Thanks
SB

mattfromNY
09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Another vote for PJ.
Wheelbarrow will fit under when dump is down, material can be shoveled into wheelbarrow.
ramps are very heavy duty, we haul mini-X, bobcat, or compact tractors when necessary, never had any problems loading or unloading.
Battery stays charged off of trucks, dealer must have a dead cell in his battery. If battery starts to sound weak, 90% of the time just driving to and from gravel pit, mulch pile, etc. will charge the battery enough for the next dump
Power down definately- especially if you are not dumping the whole load- dump comes down REAL fast with a half load of stone left in trailer.
The only real bad point I have found with mine- dual axles will tear turf if you need to turn short on a customers property, sometimes I wish I had a dump truck for those situations where we have to back in tight to a house then turn the corner as we get to the back lawn. We always end up repairing a little turf.
For what its worth-
Matt.

Great White Services
04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I love my PJ Trailer. Very good quality and ZERO troubles. It's a 2007 that I bought new and still has the battery that can with the trailer and I use this trailer year around - so from -20 C. to +30 C . Paint is getting a little worn due to use but a little metal brush and some trem-clad and shes good for the next seasons use. No problems with bearings and such as I maintain them with a little grease now and again. The power up and power down works great.
This is the single best piece of equipment I have every bought for my company !! Once you have a dumpper, you wonder why you didn't buy one sooner. It's only a 5x10 tt trailer but I put 2 ft. sides on it and it works super slick !!! Just the right size for getting into tight areas and still carries a good size loads.

mybowtie
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
I love my PJ Trailer. Very good quality and ZERO troubles. It's a 2007 that I bought new and still has the battery that can with the trailer and I use this trailer year around - so from -20 C. to +30 C . Paint is getting a little worn due to use but a little metal brush and some trem-clad and shes good for the next seasons use. No problems with bearings and such as I maintain them with a little grease now and again. The power up and power down works great.
This is the single best piece of equipment I have every bought for my company !! Once you have a dumpper, you wonder why you didn't buy one sooner. It's only a 5x10 tt trailer but I put 2 ft. sides on it and it works super slick !!! Just the right size for getting into tight areas and still carries a good size loads.

U relize this thread is 2 1/2 yrs old????

Great White Services
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Is that a problem ??? :confused:

gammon landscaping
04-22-2011, 12:23 AM
well i was going to add to this post but i guess no one cares after 2-1/2 years

Great White Services
04-22-2011, 01:05 AM

I Care !!!!!!!!! :)

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM

One thing about this site is when you make a post in a "OLD" thread
The thread jumps to the top of the page and More people see it.
It Creates A new Discussion! Who cares if the guy who made this thread already made up his mind!

I have a Nice Cab over dump truck that holds about 10 dry yards of mulch and a Dump trailer for small jobs that holds 7-8 Yrds With sides.... I love it Because i do 7 Jobs that requires about 30yrds!

In this day and age im doing anything i can to save on gas so i put them together and make less trips to the yard for mulch! So thats about 20yards in one trip! NICE!!!!!

topsites
04-22-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned but you will also just about need a full ton pickup to pull it.

I checked into the 14 ft Hilsborro dump trailer...very nice looking trailer. Best price I found was $8600 plus tax.....

Yeah, they're not cheap.

cuttin-to-the-Max
04-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Really depends on what size u want that determines what truck can pull it.

ive seen 150's pulling 14 footers