PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a Multi-terrain loader and a CTL

Bleed Green
08-24-2008, 12:18 PM
This might be a dumb question to most of you guys but I have been wondering what exactly is the difference between a multi-terrain loader and a CTL? There must be something pretty significant since Cat has both out on the market now. Do you guys think that other companies will put MTL's out in the future as well?

Scag48
08-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Multi terrain loader is used only to describe Cat's suspended undercarriage machines. CTL's are the industry term for a track loader. So, MTL is Cat specific and applies only to Cat's suspended carriage line of machines. I doubt any other MFG. will attempt to produce an undercarriage of this design.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 01:21 PM
scag dont forget ASV builds MTL's to....

Scag48
08-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I suppose, but I figured you could piece together the fact that they use the same undercarriage and come to the conclusion that they would be classified the same.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 01:32 PM
oh... yeah i never thought of that.. I just said something because people seem to forget about ASV alot...

Scag48
08-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Good lookin out, we don't want anyone confused.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
yeah like KSSS! hahaha smarta$$! haha

jmf
08-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Cat also has a new CTL line which has a metal undercarriage. Both are compacts. Cat, as far as I know, is the only one that makes this distinction.

jmf

Digdeep
08-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Multi terrain loader is used only to describe Cat's suspended undercarriage machines. CTL's are the industry term for a track loader. So, MTL is Cat specific and applies only to Cat's suspended carriage line of machines. I doubt any other MFG. will attempt to produce an undercarriage of this design.

Well said. CTL= Compact Track Loader. I guess they could be labled as suspended or rigid.

ksss
08-24-2008, 07:52 PM

No I think the rest of industry is content to leave the suspended undercarriage to ASV. At least in the manner in which the ASV system is designed. That is not to say someone wont come up with a better way of accomplishing the same thing. Note that BC's roller suspension is not what I am refering to. I suspect that once CAT establishes their CTL they will let ASV's contractual agreement expire. I doubt they move enough machines to carry both an MTL and CTL indefinetly. Once the CTL becomes an option the sales guys who are (at least around here) tired to be beat up by MTL issues will push the CTL. The MTL will be reduced to very specialized applications (which is IMHO what it was designed for in the first place.). The CTL will carry the tracked flag for CAT. It should be at least as dependable as the other similiar machines with acceptable costs of upkeep in line with everyone elses tracked machines. This is of course my opinion, although I did predict CAT releasing a CTL. Maybe I am psychic.

hansondirtman
08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
ASV's are a CTL, it just happens to be the best :) From ASV's web site:

ASV compact track loaders have always out performed the conventional skid steer and continue to work to be the number one compact track loader in the world. We are committed to continuing our long history of rubber track innovation and hope our customers recognize our dedication to pioneering advanced rubber track technology. ASV owes our past and present customers a world of gratitude and we look forward to working for our customers in the future