PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys get used to...

Junior M
08-24-2008, 12:41 PM
ok so how do you guys get used to using feet to move a trackhoe? I tried to do it on that job we worked on yesterday and it was just so uncomfortable and i would always put one more pressure on the left control than the other so i would start running to the right.

oooo I did a umm what do you call it when you turn by putting the boom down and turn the house one way and the tracks the other way? well i have no clue but i did it because of all the wet sand was sticking in the rollers and it would just sit there... haha

Dirt Digger2
08-24-2008, 12:54 PM
the only time i use the levers is when my feet get tired if i am tracking over a long distance...its a feel thing like any other, allows you to move and work the boom all at the same time

AWJ Services
08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
When I rented alot I usually just used my hands.
Now that I own my machine I forced myself too become proficient at it.
It gets even more fun when you are digging with the cab opposite of the blade.
I am no pro but I am improving .

RockSet N' Grade
08-24-2008, 01:19 PM
adjust the seat so your feet sit comfortably on the foot controls and you are not sitting too far back in the seat. practice in your mind using the foot controls....practice with seat time using the foot controls forcing yourself not to use your hands on the levers........then start to "feel" the machine with your feet. once you get past thinking and have the feel, it is just a natural occurance.........seat time, seat time, seat time........

Junior M
08-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I will try that... i still have the 335 sitting here costing me money and i dont have anywhere to go get some seat time screwing around learning some new ways to do stuff.. and it is really aggravating me so i am on here full filling my equipment need... but i think my biggest problem are the pedals that are on the sticks they are really in a wierd place but i will try that next time i am on it.. and i should have some place to go screw around to try and learn....

mag360
08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Try doing it when you're inverted:)

Junior M
08-24-2008, 03:17 PM
ok i am goin to ask a question that KSSS is just goin to love!! what do you mean inverted? backwards?

Scag48
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Just practice. Once you have that down, you should be able to do jump turns without stopping. In high travel speed, I can drop the bucket on the ground, lift up a little, swing the carriage over and keep going all in one motion.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I can do jump turns now with out stopping but i have to all cross armed and am sitting kinda funny because i use my left hand on the sticks and my right arm is goin across to the joystick. (remember scag i run those controls that you think are useless to learn)

Scag48
08-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Ah junior. What's hilarious is that the swing and bucket functions are the same between Deere and Cat controls, you'd be doing the same thing if you were running REAL excavator controls. Not sure why you wouldn't be using your right hand on the sticks so your left hand could run the house. Better yet, just force yourself to use your feet from here on out.

bobcat_ron
08-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Anyone can jump turn, regardless of Dinosaur or Nintendo control pattern.

RockSet N' Grade
08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
BoobCatRon: there is another one I am going to have to remember: Dinosaur and Nintendo! I love it! The other one that I have recently implanted in my gray matter: Just put it it a balloon and let it go. Keep em coming. Guess what is sitting in my yard this weekend? A BoobCat Tool Cat....

Junior M
08-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Ah junior. What's hilarious is that the swing and bucket functions are the same between Deere and Cat controls, you'd be doing the same thing if you were running REAL excavator controls. Not sure why you wouldn't be using your right hand on the sticks so your left hand could run the house. Better yet, just force yourself to use your feet from here on out.
are they? i didnt know.. I have never actually tried to run them.. gosh..and i use my left because I run the blade with my right. but whatever..

Junior M
08-24-2008, 03:43 PM
BoobCatRon: there is another one I am going to have to remember: Dinosaur and Nintendo! I love it! The other one that I have recently implanted in my gray matter: Just put it it a balloon and let it go. Keep em coming. Guess what is sitting in my yard this weekend? A BoobCat Tool Cat....
you with bobcat equipment? ok so what happened? were you allured by the shiny white and orange? i know i sure am! haha so whats the story behind this one...

so ksss where are the smarta$$ comments?

ksss
08-24-2008, 03:43 PM
It is more uncomfortable to use your feet in a mini at least for me. It is more cramped up and for me more comforable to use the sticks, unless jump turning. Large excavator is different story.

Scag48
08-24-2008, 03:47 PM
It is more uncomfortable to use your feet in a mini at least for me. It is more cramped up and for me more comforable to use the sticks, unless jump turning. Large excavator is different story.

I agree, but I still end up using my feet most of the time in an excavator. It is much more cramped up and more difficult to use the pedals, there is no doubt there. Full size excavator I NEVER use the sticks.

RockSet N' Grade
08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I like the idea of the tool cat.......great concept. They just brought it over for me to demo. The thing is comfortable, fast, can lift about 2k, has a very small turning radius, good airconditioning system.....quite nice with the dump bed. I can see alot of uses for it, but not for me for $40k. One improvement they need already is a pto option off the rear for horse owners with pto driven manure spreaders and such....

Junior M
08-24-2008, 03:55 PM
40k? holy crap! that is alot of money for basically a john deere gator! wow... I would really like to run one..

ksss
08-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I like the idea of the tool cat.......great concept. They just brought it over for me to demo. The thing is comfortable, fast, can lift about 2k, has a very small turning radius, good airconditioning system.....quite nice with the dump bed. I can see alot of uses for it, but not for me for $40k. One improvement they need already is a pto option off the rear for horse owners with pto driven manure spreaders and such....

I assume that is newest model. D series or whatever they are on? 40K? That is a lot of cabbage. I sure would like one though.

Gravel Rat
08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I use my feet in a mini even if there is no foot pedals on the stick I use use the toes of my boot to push on the bottom of the sticks. Moved a old Atlas excavator it has 1 foot pedal for forward and reverse and a center stick on the floor for steering. I was jump steering the machine using the foot pedal the steering lever and swining the house.

I can't run a machine pushing on the travel sticks with my hands especaially when your on a slope and your trying to push yourself back up using the bucket and trying to travel at the same time.

You have to beable to multitask in a excavator using both hands both feet and fart at the same time :laugh:

When your in a sticky situation with a hoe you need to beable to push or pull with the boom and crawl at the same time.

RockSet N' Grade
08-24-2008, 05:06 PM
GR.......does that sticky situation that you are referring to have anything to do with that "f_rt" you were referring to turning into a "surprise"? I just got done watching Larry the Cable Guy, so I am a little more tweeked than usual......

bobcat_ron
08-24-2008, 05:39 PM
GR.......does that sticky situation that you are referring to have anything to do with that "f_rt" you were referring to turning into a "surprise"? I just got done watching Larry the Cable Guy, so I am a little more tweeked than usual......

I just got finished looking through the Lawnsite Calendar Girls thread, I have yet to grab the mop and bucket, you're not the only one who's "tweaked"!

Dirtman2007
08-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I use the feet petal 90% of the time beacause most of our work is in wet, muddy, slick areas that require you to pull the machine around. Takes time to get used to but once you've mastered it you'll see just how smooth the machine can be moved.

Check it out in my video. Watch the entire video, I do a bunch of tracking using the boom and swing to help.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2zhfaRcFz-Y

jefftb
08-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Funny... here's your quote back to me from your thread titled "Need help trying to find some work",.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftb View Post
Adding additional services that can be done with the machines you have is the best way to go and I for one applaud your decision making progress. Its a longer road to more money but that probably fits with your situation in relation to weekend or "off hours" type work. Until you can deliver on bigger jobs that require bigger or different machine work in the typical M-F 7am-5pm work category you might just do more harm to your business than good. More businesses fail due to trying to grow more quickly than anything else-it might be due to a variety of factors but the core decision drove the failure.

Moving up in work/project description will most likely mean delivering the finished job on someone else's accelerated schedule. You also cannot afford to miss what window you have now to finish a project, i.e. you cannot afford weather delays on a weekend or not working due to illness if the project was big or the owner had expectations beyond yours.

There is more flexibility to deal with these issues (weather, illness, machine downtime, etc) when you perform this type of work on a weekly 50-60 hour work schedule.

Grow at a pace you can manage. Say "no" to things you might want to do but think you cannot deliver on. People and other contractors respect the word "no" more than someone that says "yes" and then do not or clearly cannot deliver on. It shows you either know your limits or cannot meet their expectations and respect the relationship-that can have a powerful effect because they begin to trust you and your word. Keep going back to these people as you grow. You obviously cannot say no forever though.

There's more to the moral of this story but I think you may know where its headed.
thank you......

Looks like I was on your side then and am probably still now.

Understand that for most in the "Heavy Equipment Section" we have more experience, more money invested, and waaay more at stake than you.

I hope you succeed b/c you are obviously interested and motivated in the business but the old adage still applies, "don't piss off your elders", we've made more mistakes than you and they surely have cost us more than you could ever understand at your age. You can learn a lot from us-I'm sure you will be able to tell us a thing or two as time moves on.

*trucewhiteflag*

Junior M
08-24-2008, 09:00 PM
what are you saying? i am trying to learn.. that is why i posted this thread.. and i was just joking around.. i still dont get what you are saying...

Scag48
08-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Tim you are the man, I'm surprised you got that one. :drinkup:

Kaiser only wishes he has a 9060. Then maybe with that size machine he can keep up with a 20 ton machine from any other brand.

CAT powered
08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
JLM it means you havent messed things up real good yet and they have so they know how to get out of tight spots better and they have more experience doing that sort of thing and you could learn a lot from them.

A lot of these real old timers that ran the pre-hydraulic units could teach you a LOT if you respected them and listened to them or they could not help you at all. If you were a smart-@$$ they wouldn't help you at all.

Scag48
08-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I would have to agree, just about everyone here has a fairly good amount of experience in the field. I consider myself a rookie, I'm only pushing 5 years in the biz, but I've gone a long way in a short amount of time.

What I've learned is to keep my mouth shut when the older guys are explaining what's going on, even in the mornings when we're all just standing around the iron shooting the breeze. If I opened my mouth and even so much as popped one back at the older guys I work with, they'd make my life a living hell. I've learned to hold my tongue and take their crap. Most of my crew is pretty good, there is one other apprentice in his 3rd year in the program running hoe, he guides me along a little to the ins and outs of surviving on our crew. We're a run and gun outfit, we don't mess around, get a lot of production done every day because the stuff we're doing is huge money. If there's one guy in our 6 man team that sucks, it hurts everyone, so there's a lot of ribbing going on if you screw something up.

Junior M
08-25-2008, 07:17 AM
I do respect them I am learning that was why i posted this to see how they got used to it. and to see if there were any tricks to doing it.. and KSSS started joking around with me so I joked right back what is wrong with that? what you are saying is i should just take the joking and set back and get picked on about this sh!t?

Our pool digger has been an operator for over 40 years and he has taught me alot.. he has showed up and when we were there before to see if anything was wrong with it and i will be on the trackhoe and he will stop me and say hey do it this way or take your bucket and do it this way. I have learned alot from him and I really respect him. so dont say I am a smarta$$ that doesnt pay attention..

Dirt Digger2
08-25-2008, 10:39 AM
If I opened my mouth and even so much as popped one back at the older guys I work with, they'd make my life a living hell. I've learned to hold my tongue and take their crap..

but when you get to the point where you can joke around with these guys about anything it makes work that much more fun...i have held my tounge at my company for the last 4 years, since i became a full time operator though and proved myself to my boss and co-workers i earned their respect and now throw jokes at them just as much a they throw them at me....not just joking around about their "operating" but when you get to the point where you can comfortably play practical jokes on your co-workers it really makes the job a blast....that is what must kind of suck about the union thing i guess, is you might work with different guys every week

Scag48
08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
You're right, but I'm the new guy, I'm going on my 3rd week with this crew. It takes a while to get to the point of tossing crap at the rest of the crew.

A bit of a misconception with the union as well. We're not any different than working for a non-union contractor. If you're not a piece of crap and there's enough work, you'll stay with the same company, just like a non-union company. Only difference is that when I'm out of work, I call the hall and get back on the out of work list. I have somewhat of a resource to help me get back to work if everyone that I know can't put me back to work. I hate having to rely on someone to find me a job, but until I get to 1,200 hours, I can't find my own work. That's the only bad news part, but it'll be over soon enough.

Gravel Rat
08-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Once your a union slave your name is always in the hall which can be a good thing. A company might be looking for a operator the hall will fill phone you to see if your available. You union dues have to pay for something :laugh:

Junior M
08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
me and ksss joke around on just about every thread and sometimes other people throw one in there so i throw one back what is wrong with that? I am really young and this is the internet it is hard to show how good or bad i am.. so what am i suppose to do? sounds like some people cant take a joke once in a while...

RockSet N' Grade
08-25-2008, 05:49 PM
throw a smiley face or ??? Until you've branded yourself with enough responses no one knows who you are........

wanabe
08-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Well the best way to figure out how to operate the pedals is to do what I did and remove them stupid hand sticks that are attached to them. I was always looking arround the sticks before, and I don't know how many times I smacked my knee on them. After that, the skill will come to you. I could never go back to using my hands to move a machine again. It is soo much better being able to operate the machine when moving back and forth.

Junior M
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
throw a smiley face or ??? Until you've branded yourself with enough responses no one knows who you are........
i dont usually use smile faces i just put "hahaha" or "lol" and people that are on here alot like qps, ksss, and bobcat ron know who i am.

bobcat_ron
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
i dont usually use smile faces i just put "hahaha" or "lol" and people that are on here alot like qps, ksss, and bobcat ron know who i am.

Ooooh, don't bring me into that response, I'm still trying to figure you out.

Junior M
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Well the best way to figure out how to operate the pedals is to do what I did and remove them stupid hand sticks that are attached to them. I was always looking arround the sticks before, and I don't know how many times I smacked my knee on them. After that, the skill will come to you. I could never go back to using my hands to move a machine again. It is soo much better being able to operate the machine when moving back and forth.
I will have to try that once we get our own machine but right now i am goin to learn with the sticks on and when my nieghbor decides to let me dig his french drain i am goin to learn how to use cat controls.. (i think it might be deere controls. well whatever controls that are plumbed on fullsize trackhoes.)

Junior M
08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Ooooh, don't bring me into that response, I'm still trying to figure you out.
oh.. well whatever.. i was just saying you are on here alot it was just an example..

CAT powered
08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't rib back. I was trying to explain what the other person meant and then I went on rambling like an old man.

AWJ Services
08-25-2008, 07:47 PM
It's not working.

First you post

what have i said to say i was a know-it-all? or what comments have i made to make it sound like that?

awj just starts this crap out of nowhere..

Then you say

for one we were joking around.. what dont you get? if you read the whole thing it was a joke just having some fun.. what is the big deal? are you against having a good laugh every now and then? your over reacting over nothing.. and you kept goin around my question and ignoring me..

The you post

Guess I am not in your Buddy club?

Junior M
08-25-2008, 07:52 PM
First one i was asking you a question.. and then you were giving me crap for joking around with the expierenced guys.. and then the last one somebody asked why i didnt put those little smiley faces that people put on there smarta$$ comments.. what is so hard to get? i really dont get what your are trying to prove here.. and what do you mean its not working?

RockSet N' Grade
08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
jlm........here is what I know about the dirt business. It is the only business where the adults eat their young. In order to survive in the dirt business, you had better develop a fairly thick skin.....dish it out and take it, but let it all just wash off your back. It is alot of fun, but also one of the most ruthless businesses I have ever been involved in. It is expensive to get into the game....you spend tens of thousands which you have to make up in hundreds, and if you make a boo-boo it can be severe. Hang in there and don't take it too personal........just envision QPS wearing potato earrings and wearing a Case hat and you will be ok.......

wanabe
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I will have to try that once we get our own machine but right now i am goin to learn with the sticks on and when my nieghbor decides to let me dig his french drain i am goin to learn how to use cat controls.. (i think it might be deere controls. well whatever controls that are plumbed on fullsize trackhoes.)

If you are new to a hoe, then start and stay with the cat pattern. The right side stick is boom up/down and bucket. The left is swing, and boom in/out. It makes it real easy to jump turn this way.

Junior M
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
I have been running a hoe since i was six so it is goin to be hard for me to change but i am goin to force myself to because of employment oppurtunities and i really like being on big excavators now i want to run them. But the control pattern i run right now i think is deere i am not sure tho.. I cant ever remember the names..

and about what awj is saying i am not sure but i am just goin to start ignoring him and yeah that vision really helped! hahahah thanks hahahahaha

on a serious note all the guys that have helped me thank you for it.. next time we get a machine i am goin to force myself to use the pedals and if we get done early enough and i can talk my nieghbor into letting me play on his four acres cleaning up the trees from the tornado i am goin to learn the cat controls. so thank you everyone...

RockSet N' Grade
08-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't take it so far as to ignore anyone.......everyone one has something to offer.

RockSet N' Grade
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
If you are gonna pick someone to ignore, ignore me........I ignore me most of the time and it seems to work out just fine....

Junior M
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
yeah i didnt mean just ignore what he writes totally but all the comments and quotes about me and "teenagers"

hahahahahahah:laugh::laugh::laugh: that was a good one!! hahaha:clapping::clapping:

CAT powered
08-25-2008, 09:44 PM
The controls where boom up/down is on your right hand control is standard on most all real machines. You would call them CAT controls but I would call them normal controls.

The funny controls you run are Deere controls. Deere controls have boom up/down on your left hand control. On most minis you have a valve under a flap that is below the seat to the left. To the right close to the edge of the platform as you stand on the ground. That valve can be flipped to turn it from Deere controls to standard controls. They have them labeled backhoe controls and excavator controls or something like that. You would be running it on backhoe controls, but whenever I have to rent a mini I switch it to normal controls.

bobcat_ron
08-25-2008, 09:46 PM
People that run dinosaur controls make better lovers.

kreft
08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Jlm, your kinda like me when I first joined lawnsite,.......... You will learn soon enough. LOL.

AWJ Services
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Just say what you mean and mean what you say.
Message boards leave a trail of proof.

and about what awj is saying i am not sure but i am just goin to start ignoring him

I feel decimated.

bobcat_ron
08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
"Ernie Mankins & Sons Construction"

Dear God, there's more than just you Jr.?!?!:laugh:

stuvecorp
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
People that run dinosaur controls make better lovers.

I feel much better now, thanks BC Ron.

NateV
08-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I run the dinosaur controls too.....ROn check your PM's

wanabe
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I almost forgot, but find a machine that has real sized pedals to try to pick on it. I ran a 121-3 Kubota a little, and the stupid size 3 pedals did not work with my size 10 boot. I guess they thought that someone with size 3 feet would run the machine?

AWJ Services
08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
The small Kubota pedals stink.
I wear a size 13 so I understand.
Wearing flip flops help.:)

RockSet N' Grade
08-25-2008, 11:12 PM
They don't make shoes to fit my hairy hobbit feet.....I just tie a bow in the hair and call it good.... Lordy, lordy......I must be on BoobCatRon's med's the last couple days......or there must be something in the dirt we have been grading....

minimax
08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
bobcat_ron People that run dinosaur controls make better lovers.
Today 06:44 PM

So this must mean Ron runs cat controls.:laugh::rolleyes:

minimax

Gravel Rat
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Kubota is designed for Oriental people with size 6 shoes and smaller people :laugh:

Yes Kubota has bad foot pedals I had troubles with them I wear size 15 shoes I have to have boots custom made :dizzy:

I don't wear size 15 but I do wear size 11 shoes. I have more problems with getting sore knees running minis. There is just isn't enough room to stretch your legs. When I was running fullsize machines I used to have the front window open and put my feet on the edge of the bottom window.

The newer mini exs with the rounded cab are bad they are like sitting in a coffin.

Junior M
08-26-2008, 06:52 AM
"Ernie Mankins & Sons Construction"

Dear God, there's more than just you Jr.?!?!:laugh:
yep ron I have two twins... but i am the most skilled and good looking one so i leave them out of the picture! :clapping::laugh::laugh:

Actually, I have an older brother who works at home depot but he only helps us when he "wants" to help us and he always has an excuse to leave the job early.. the worst part he is only in it for the money, he doesnt actually like doing it.. but I have cousin which lived with my mom and dad for years and he left right before i was born and my brother and sister and me consider him a brother and my parents consider him a son so if he ever moves down here from ohio he will be included in this whole deal and we thought the name would be pretty funny if it was Ernie Mankins & son & nephew construction.... so we just made it sons...

and hey!!!!! whats wrong with being more than one of me?!?!?!:confused:

AWJ Services
08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
yep ron I have two twins..

Phewww for a second there I thought you had 3 twins?
I can see the education is paying off?

Mental Note: remind myself too not allow my kids into elgin schools.:confused:

RockSet N' Grade
08-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Mental question to AWJ and my self that never listens: Are these guys from Utah?

Junior M
08-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Phewww for a second there I thought you had 3 twins?
I can see the education is paying off?

Mental Note: remind myself too not allow my kids into elgin schools.:confused:
:hammerhead::laugh:
My high school is in another town called Lugoff, I only went to school in elgin for three years for middle school so its all good i didnt get much of there good learning! :laugh::laugh:

I did that just for ron!! :laugh:

Scag48
08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
i didnt get much of there good learning! :laugh::laugh:
:laugh:

Are you sure? Last time I checked, when used to describe ownership, it's their.

Junior M
08-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I didnt go to english class today give me a break!! gosh!!

and when did we start editing other peoples posts?

:laugh:

AWJ Services
08-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Mental question to AWJ and my self that never listens: Are these guys from Utah?

:)

Good Learning thats what I need.

kreft
08-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Give the kid a break guys.

AWJ Services
08-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Give the kid a break guys

So I guess he has earned it?:confused:

As the Rock would say
"Know your Role"
:)

Junior M
08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
nah its good I am used to getting ragged about where i go!! haha my buddies and I got in trouble the other day by the principal when he heard us saying that LEHS stood for lower education high school!! he didnt like that to much!! hahahaha

ksss
08-28-2008, 08:44 PM
nah its good I am used to getting ragged about where i go!! haha my buddies and I got in trouble the other day by the principal when he heard us saying that LEHS stood for lower education high school!! he didnt like that to much!! hahahaha

See Jr. you and your bros realize the educational quandary you have found yourself in.

crab
08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
submit now before its to late!take you're learn-in and talk it over with you're brothers.you my young friend are apparently very good at digging holes for your self.:laugh:

Junior M
08-28-2008, 09:16 PM
See Jr. you and your bros realize the educational quandary you have found yourself in.
my school maybe a little on the slow side but we can hunt and play some football!!

hahahahahahah I love this place!! always gives me a good laugh!!