PDA

View Full Version : Tie down thread

NateV
08-24-2008, 05:19 PM
After reading jlm's thread and all the talk about straps or chains i thought i would make a new thread about it. (i didnt search to see if there was one already so sorry if there is) I just thought if anyone had questions about the right way to tie something down that they could ask in here.

So i guess i should show the way we tie our stuff down.

We use all grade 70 chains and binders. Our binders have a WLL of 9200and MBS of 33,000 and its stamped right on them.

Kobelco mini. In the last pic We usually have another one that pulls to the other side of the trailer that crosses the other chain but i had already taken it off before i took the pics.

NateV
08-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Case Backhoe. All 4 corners. loader and hoe.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 05:29 PM
you know how i tie down equipment and would the way i hook the strap to the track tie down point doesnt that act the same as running a strap or chain across the tracks like you did? btw nice equipment...

NateV
08-24-2008, 05:39 PM
I would say to a point, yes, but to me it seems like how you have it, its just pulling it towards the rear of the trailer.

bobcat_ron
08-24-2008, 05:42 PM
If anything, you want to make damn sure all your tie downs from the machine to the trailer are at an angle, that way one apir will keep the load from slipping in the event of a sudden stop.

The pics that NateV posted are exactly how I tie my stuff down too, I just don't do the boom of the mini, only on long trips over 15 minutes.

CAT powered
08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
His setup there is very different from yours.

He has his tracks tied down so he's got his 4 corner tiedown and then he has separate chains for his hydraulic appendages. Those are the boom and the blade on the mini.

You put two uncrossed straps in the back and two on the blade. You should've had two straps on the back crossed. Two in the front crossed if possible. One over the blade and one over bucket to hold the boom down.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 05:48 PM
but wouldnt the straps be pulling down and backwards all at the same time because of the angle? that is what i always thought..

why should they be crossed cat powered?

NateV
08-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Ron, the one on the boom is pretty much just for looks. I followed dad home one time and notice that the boom still sways a good bit but hey its what the DOT wants.

CAT powered
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
According to the government your tiedowns should be crossed wherever possible and they should be hooked as close to the front and back of the trailer as you can get them reasonably.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 06:05 PM
According to the government your tiedowns should be crossed wherever possible and they should be hooked as close to the front and back of the trailer as you can get them reasonably.
oh never heard that before

RockSet N' Grade
08-24-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't use the D rings, although I have them on my trailer, I choose to drop the hook down through the rub-rail tie down area and then come back up and drop the hook over the top of the rub-rail tie down area - that way if they chain becomes a little loose, it will still maintain grab. I use grade 80 binders, chain and hooks.......they are all marked accordingly. I will take some pics at some point and post.

jefftb
08-24-2008, 06:17 PM
is that most equipment do not have proper anchor spots. This is true of most mini excavators.

Take a look at the Kobelco mini. No anchor spot in the rear, so NateV did a pass through. (NateV not a criticism here just using the pic as reference) Our Komatsu is the same-no rear anchor point.

We choose to wrap the binder chain around the table/house connection underneath and then back through to the other side. This keeps the machine from moving forward during hard stop. Binder chain then goes across the blade and another tie down across the bucket. The bucket tie-down can be a strap since its mostly just there to keep the boom/bucket from swinging out into traffic (yeah I know, it shouldn't anyway).

I wish our Komatsu had a rear d-ring for anchor but does not.

Also, remember, if you have shoulder/bracket tie-downs, your hook should be inside the shoulder/bracket for protection and the chain should run through the protected middle. The hook can slide or be knocked off in an accident if not-there is more exposed area on the hook otherwise.

As to straps versus chain, straps work and can be strong, but when I run down the interstate and look at most big-rigs hauling a load, the seriously heavy stuff (and most equipment loads) are held down with chain and binders. These people surely have more experience in this arena than I.

My choice is chain/binder for heavy duty restraint work.

ksss
08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=jefftb;2481704]is that most equipment do not have proper anchor spots. This is true of most mini excavators.

Take a look at the Kobelco mini. No anchor spot in the rear, so NateV did a pass through. (NateV not a criticism here just using the pic as reference) Our Komatsu is the same-no rear anchor point.

We choose to wrap the binder chain around the table/house connection underneath and then back through to the other side. This keeps the machine from moving forward during hard stop. Binder chain then goes across the blade and another tie down across the bucket. The bucket tie-down can be a strap since its mostly just there to keep the boom/bucket from swinging out into traffic (yeah I know, it shouldn't anyway).

I wish our Komatsu had a rear d-ring for anchor but does not.

My TK has a hitch of sorts which is to say it a hole in the X Frame. I ran a Clevis through the hole. I run a chain through the clevis. It works well. your right though most mini's have no good way to chain down. Some skid steers are like that as well.

minimax
08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
So I tie down my machine with 4 chains and 2 binders and 1 chain and 1 binder for the boom,They say you should have a binder per chain,but here is what I do I load the machine hook the 2 back chains into the blade and pull the machine forward and this tightens the back chains up and then I put the front chains on with binders and tighten up and than put a chain through the bucket eye and tighten with a binder,But do I need 2 binders at the back 2 chains? here is a pic,I did not get the boom chain on before this pic.
minimax

Junior M
08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
can we see a pic of that whole rig? that looks like a really nice rig.. is that a horton? (sorry dont mean to hijack this thread)

minimax
08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I think a horton is a trailer? But my trailer is a kaufman. Here is a pic of my truck and trailer
minimax

NateV
08-24-2008, 08:14 PM
minimax: Thats a tough call on that one. You will problably get a different answer from everyone including the DOT guys. If i were you i would get 2 more binders and use them. to me its a pain hooking up the chains then jumping back in the machine to pull it up to tighten them. A lot of guys seem to do that with skid loaders too. It just seems easier to me just to tighten them with a binder.

Junior M
08-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I think a horton is a trailer? But my trailer is a kaufman. Here is a pic of my truck and trailer
minimax
yeah a horton is a trailer it looks just like one.. but that is a good looking rig.. do you like your dodge?

Gravel Rat
08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Backhoes have to be the worst to chain down they dance all over the place it doesn't matter how tight you get the binders.

With excavators I like to tuck the boom down as much as you can with the boom facing rearward so any rocks flying up from the trucks tires won't take out the window of the machine.

BIGBEN2004
08-24-2008, 08:46 PM
In Maryland the law is 2 chains and 2 binders for any machines under 10,000 pounds. For any machine over 10,000 pounds a minimal of 5 chains and 5 binders are required. Also no straps are allowed to tie down any type of machine on any type of self propelled chassis. Straps are only allowed to tie down bulk materials, no vehicles or machines. I don't know what the law is in other states but that is for here in Maryland.

ksss
08-24-2008, 08:53 PM
In Maryland the law is 2 chains and 2 binders for any machines under 10,000 pounds. For any machine over 10,000 pounds a minimal of 5 chains and 5 binders are required. Also no straps are allowed to tie down any type of machine on any type of self propelled chassis. Straps are only allowed to tie down bulk materials, no vehicles or machines. I don't know what the law is in other states but that is for here in Maryland.

I believe that is DOT nation wide.

TriHonu
08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Straps are only allowed to tie down bulk materials, no vehicles or machines. I don't know what the law is in other states but that is for here in Maryland.

It depends upon whether your state follows the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm).

Heavy Vehicles, Equipment and Machinery < 10,000 lbs follow the same standards as Automobiles, Light Trucks and Vans which allow straps.

NateV
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
What do you guys think.. Enough chains

8 chains, 8 binders

NateV
09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
few more.....

Junior M
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I think I need to teach you how to tie down equipment that dang sure aint enough chains.. just kidding around.. I dont think that equipment is coming off...

I didnt say this but I think someone in the picture forum needs help with this subject.. just remember I didnt say a thing.. hahah

kreft
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
yeah you need to check the picture forum out. lol

CAT powered
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that excavator could use 2 more chains on it. You're supposed to have 4 corners + hydraulic attachments and the blade is an attachment. Maybe I don't see them, but I think the front of that skid could use 2 more chains as well.

I think you got 2 corners on both machines and got all the hydraulic attachments.

Maybe I'm just not seeing them, but I think you need more chains on that rig.

You ought to have 5 on the skid and 6 on the excavator if you're using 1 chain per corner.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I dont think you noticed it but he has a chain running just behind the blade on the square tubing the blade is welded to and he has chains on the back of the bucket which would also account for the chains on the corners.. also the way he has it loaded as long as he has the blade chained down the bucket cant come up..

CRAP!! Kreft you werent suppose to see that!! haha sorry i just couldnt resist :laugh: I secretly wanted them to see your new investment...

CAT powered
09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Well if we want to get super-technical it's still not right. The tiedowns shouldn't be the outermost part of the trailer. He should have a rubrail extending past his tiedowns so that if he bumps something with the side of the trailer it won't harm your tiedowns at all.

Now most trailers you see won't have rubrails like they are supposed to, but technically you are supposed to have one.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Well if we want to get super-technical it's still not right. The tiedowns shouldn't be the outermost part of the trailer. He should have a rubrail extending past his tiedowns so that if he bumps something with the side of the trailer it won't harm your tiedowns at all.

Now most trailers you see won't have rubrails like they are supposed to, but technically you are supposed to have one.
You are? I have never heard that before.. Now that you are getting technical about it I understand..

CAT powered
09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
No because the D ring is still the outermost part.

Granted I'm not a DOT inspector, but I've been through enough inspections with lowbeds and tags like that to know the rules pretty well.

Not trying to be a smart@$$ to anyone just trying to save you a few hundred dollars in fines.

RockSet N' Grade
09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
CatPowered, that's kinda my thinking too or correct D ring tie downs placed on trailer deck.

CAT powered
09-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Yea. Most all trailers on the road are in violation of that rule including several of my own.

I'm not claiming to know everything about tiedowns here, but I've gotten enough unsecured/improperly secured load violations and lectures about it that I know the rules pretty well now.

Junior M
09-10-2008, 09:23 PM
No because the D ring is still the outermost part.

Granted I'm not a DOT inspector, but I've been through enough inspections with lowbeds and tags like that to know the rules pretty well.

Not trying to be a smart@$$ to anyone just trying to save you a few hundred dollars in fines.
Yeah I thought of that after I posted it.. I actually went back and deleted that part of my post..

wanabe
09-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I would not pull that trailer loaded/tied down that way. The rear chains on the skid are about worthless. You are pulling back under that machine. The chains need to be hooked more in the hitch area, and pull out ward on the machine. The mini is tied down good on the back of the trailer, but you also need chains like that pulling forward. That machine could slide back the way it is tied. I know that there is a chain on the blade, but it still could slide 3-4 inches back, and then your rear chains are loose and worthless. Most things like skids and mini's I only use 2 chains and four binders. I always hook everything in a V pattern, and put a binder on both sides.

Gravel Rat
09-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I would be welding some more tie down points on that trailer. The way the front chains are on the excavator they are at too much of a angle. They are pulling the machine forward. If the machine ever decided to move it would slip forward the chains would be loose.

The problem with rubber tracked machines there is nothing to hook too. On steel tracked machines you can hook to the tracks.

I like having lots of options for tie down spots. I don't like D rings I prefer a rub rail or stake pockets you can drop the chain through and hook the hook on the top of the stake pocket.

NateV
09-11-2008, 10:09 PM
We looked it over and today and we are going to get another set of D rings and put them some around where the "E" is in eager on the side you can see and put a chain through the track like we do when we have it one the little trailer. those pics are on the 1st page.

but about the Rub rail iv never heard about that and how could that be done when the trailer is already 102" wide? I thought your not allowed to be more then that.

Junior M
09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
We looked it over and today and we are going to get another set of D rings and put them some around where the "E" is in eager on the side you can see and put a chain through the track like we do when we have it one the little trailer. those pics are on the 1st page.

but about the Rub rail iv never heard about that and how could that be done when the trailer is already 102" wide? I thought your not allowed to be more then that.
Thats what I was thinking.. the only thing I could think of that would remedy that problem would be putting d-rings up on the deck of the trailer..

Cooter
09-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Not sure where your trailer measures 102" at, but for reference your D-rings with clips stick out approx 1.5", and 2x4 stakepockets with rubrails would stick out approx 2.25".

YellowDogSVC
09-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Case Backhoe. All 4 corners. loader and hoe.

What's that trailer weigh?

NateV
09-12-2008, 12:17 PM
What's that trailer weigh?

I think its just a little over 8,000 lbs..Its a 20 ton trailer, not 20,000 lbs if thats why your asking.