PDA

View Full Version : Need some info

StBalor
08-24-2008, 05:29 PM
commercial Customer wants an estimate on tearing up exsisting grass, put down topsoil and re-seeding.
No irragation. Told customer i could not garuntee end results with out water. Was told to still submit estimate.

Currently it is mostly weeds with a lot of bare spots. Soil is hard and compact, looks like orange sand and clay mix. ( lots of small rocks)

What would be the best way to tackle this job? I have access to Dump truck and bobcat.
will i need an excavation permit for this job?
how much topsoil? if my calculations are correct nearly 1000 yds if 3" deep Thinking i miss calculated here. Give me some numbers.

Area - 120,200 Sq ft. Nearly 3 Acres mostly flat, slight slope towards woods.

Was thinking of scraping exsisting grass with bobcat, spread new topsoil, spread seed. If i need an excavation permit, will also need silt fence around property line.

Thinking this is a 4 day job. 10 hours a day.

Tell me some ideas on how to do the job and prices. I have figured up some prices but just want to double check.

Smallaxe
08-25-2008, 08:08 AM
What makes topsoil so special? It is either a mixture of clay and sand or it is mostly clay or sand with some humus in it to make the dark rich color.

3" of topsoil may contain 1/6" of humus at 5% OM. [which is seldom that high]

You can do it as you said and quote him that price. Then estimate what it would be to core aerate, seed, then topdress with compost.

Would you have to spray it first? or could you do it over a close mowing?

StBalor
08-25-2008, 09:02 AM
What makes topsoil so special? It is either a mixture of clay and sand or it is mostly clay or sand with some humus in it to make the dark rich color.

3" of topsoil may contain 1/6" of humus at 5% OM. [which is seldom that high]

You can do it as you said and quote him that price. Then estimate what it would be to core aerate, seed, then topdress with compost.

Would you have to spray it first? or could you do it over a close mowing?

This is the way i would rather do it. But was told to rip it up, add soil and re-seed.

I am actually going to submit a couple suggestions with my bid. One being exactly what you stated above. Other being to spend that money on an irragation system.

White Gardens
08-25-2008, 12:05 PM
You could also think about Tilling the whole area too. Aerations do OK, but adding OM to it and tilling the whole thing would work well and the customer gets the whole thing tore up like they want. Also, you might be able to rent a tiller for the bobcat.

My only concern is weeds after to grass gets started. Does this property have a weed managment program, might want to throw that in your bid too.

robtown
08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I would submit it both ways.
talk to a irrigation guy and get a quote form him and sub that job out.
because his way is going to be real expensive.
the money he saves on doing it the compost way he could put towards irrigation.