PDA

View Full Version : small wall that i was underbid for

cooltype
08-24-2008, 11:22 PM
:dizzy:this guy bid about $500 less than me, used play sand for base, no drain, and no gravel, 2 gutters run into this bed, my guess is all the sand will wash out after first big rain, and wall is going to fall eventually what do yall think??

oh yeah the last pic is where there is over an inch of just bare sand to make the block level after stepping up. :hammerhead:

Travis E
08-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Come one now, common sense will tell you that the mulch will be washed out with a light shower, the play sand will wash out! I've only built them for family so far and I've done better then that. I don't know much about the drainage behind the wall though, haven't made any more then a few blocks tall

Hardscaping
08-24-2008, 11:40 PM
don't know what your talking about that is top notch work!

Better than anything i have seen.

cooltype
08-24-2008, 11:40 PM
:laugh:oh i know the sand is going to wash out. i didnt build this another guy did in case i didnt make that clear. the guy told them he would be using gravel and drainage too is the sad part, i was told they were getting a "break" on the labor. I feel bad for the homeowners b/c i know them fairly well and i mow the yard every week. Just goes to show that cheaper is almost never better

shethinksmytractors_sexy
08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
don't know what your talking about that is top notch work!

Better than anything i have seen.

what are you talking about? the wall will be gone in weeks...

Hardscaping
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
come on now that will hold up until the cows come home!

cooltype
08-25-2008, 12:06 AM
come on now that will hold up until the cows come home!

oh yeah you know it. would have been better off to save that money wasted on sand and just use dirt

Hardscaping
08-25-2008, 12:29 AM
i wouldn't go near that with your mower as you do and the huge vibrations from that beast of a mower makes the wall fall over and then you are liable for fixing it cause it was caused by the 200 pound riding mower you drive! lol

cooltype
08-25-2008, 12:32 AM
yeah, i have a feeling this is going to end up costing more in the long run because it will definitely require more work in the future to straighten out this mess.....sad because it actually looked good a couple days ago. it rained today this wall may already be having problems:dizzy:

Hardscaping
08-25-2008, 12:42 AM
well to fix that pour a bunch of concrete there and then spray paint it green to make it look like there is grass there lol.

Or you could just tell them to tell the guy to come back and do it again because they didn't put the correct fill under the wall. i really only see the problems occuring in the one higher section the rest should be fine but still shouldn't be like that!

cooltype
08-25-2008, 12:55 AM
yeah, the wall should have been pretty straight forward. the end where he started stepping up and kept building up with sand is really going to be the problem. as soon as that sand washes out the end is either falling or going to be really wavy. I still think 2 gutters plus rain might cause the high end to fall. those block arent very heavy.

Frontier-Lawn
08-25-2008, 09:20 AM
:laugh:oh i know the sand is going to wash out. i didnt build this another guy did in case i didnt make that clear. the guy told them he would be using gravel and drainage too is the sad part, i was told they were getting a "break" on the labor. I feel bad for the homeowners b/c i know them fairly well and i mow the yard every week. Just goes to show that cheaper is almost never better

well once it falls down you'll get the job to tear out and rebuild and get double the $ then!