PDA

View Full Version : Innoculating grass seed

srm077
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
I searched and did not find much so here goes...

Everyone mentions is but what is the actual process? How is the innoculated seed then applied? Is it feasible on a large scale?

Thanks.

Kiril
08-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Inoculate with what?

srm077
08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Mycorrhizae and or anything else that would be good.

BostonBull
08-25-2008, 05:22 AM
http://smartseed.com/

ICT Bill
08-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Innoculating seed with beneficials has been done for a long time, it started with legumes in the 40's and 50's
In turf seed you have probably seen endophytic seeds, these have been innoculated with endophytic bacteria or fungi. In most cases, the purpose is to fight off typical fungal disease that effect the seedling in order to get established in the soil, these endophytes, in theory, stay with the root of the plant for the rest of it life and fight off potential pathogens

DIY innoculations are simple and very effective, research pre-germination and instead of just plain water use some aerated compost tea for each cycle. Seeds vary in time to germinate rye can germinate in 3 days, KBG can take a month so it is important to know how to do it other wise you will have a big ball of rooted seedlings, try to fit that into your spreader

If the end result of applying compost tea is to get beneficials in the ground then innoculating seed is a great way to do the same thing. With this method you actually have the beneficials being drilled down into the soil by the root of the plant.

Pretty cool

srm077
08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
How will the 1,2,3, compost tea work? That is what I was planning on using.

muddstopper
08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
How will the 1,2,3, compost tea work? That is what I was planning on using.

It works. I have started adding 2 oz to every tank load in my hydroseeder and I seem to be having better germination, even in dry July on none irrigated sites. I havent had the opportunity to try it in side by side same site tests yet, so there are to many varibles to give all the credit to the tea.

phasthound
08-25-2008, 07:15 PM
It works. I have started adding 2 oz to every tank load in my hydroseeder and I seem to be having better germination, even in dry July on none irrigated sites. I havent had the opportunity to try it in side by side same site tests yet, so there are to many varibles to give all the credit to the tea.

You are brave! Seeding in July on non-irrigated sites, I'm impressed. :)

treegal1
08-25-2008, 07:27 PM
You are brave! Seeding in July on non-irrigated sites, I'm impressed. :)we have no choice some times, the ditch needs to get green and stop washing out we go and do it!! for that mater dec is just as bad as july here, maybe less wind.:dizzy:

ICT Bill
08-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Mudd, What is the size of the tank? In theory the gallon of Hydroseed should do 8 acres
at a cost of $0.0001875 per square foot or 0.19 per 1000 it is a nice insurance policy and results too.

Thanks Mudd

Do I owe you a discount for the next round? LOL

muddstopper
08-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I use a 600gal Finn and cover ruffly +/- 7000sqft.

I have been putting the 1 2 3 Ct on everything from roadbanks to the veggie garden, and even new shrubs when we plant them. Not 100% sure how benefitual the CT has been, but its one of those gut feeling things where it seems to be the right thing to do. We are almost finished building our first green house and I will be using the teas there as well.