PDA

View Full Version : Need a Post-Emergent that works FAST

JimLewis
08-25-2008, 01:23 AM
I thought I saw a variety of Roundup that worked faster than the regular Round-up Pro. I need to spray some brush (weed) out but don't have much time. It needs to have killed the brush down to the roots within a day or two days at most. Something I can find at my usual outlets, not something that's restricted-use or difficult to find. Any ideas?

DLCS
08-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Round-Up Quick pro?

kabrac
08-25-2008, 02:10 AM
What about glyphosate?

Grandview
08-25-2008, 07:24 AM
You need diquat. Roundup Quick Pro has diquat. It just burns the leaves. No trans location.

rcreech
08-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I thought I saw a variety of Roundup that worked faster than the regular Round-up Pro. I need to spray some brush (weed) out but don't have much time. It needs to have killed the brush down to the roots within a day or two days at most. Something I can find at my usual outlets, not something that's restricted-use or difficult to find. Any ideas?

What are you after? Do you want to just kill to the roots, or do you want to kill to the roots and get fast results on top also (leaf kill)?

Any Glyphosate product on the market will get to the roots witin 24 hours. If you are spraying brush....make sure you are matching the correct rate to the size of weeds you have.

As stated you could spike with a product to show leaf kill such as Sythe, diquat or other components...but that is only "for looks". The gly getting to the roots is the main thing and any product will work!

For maximum kill when using gly be sure and use AMS and some additional surfactants!

FdLLawnMan
08-25-2008, 07:54 AM
What about glyphosate?

Roundup is Glyphosate while Roundup Pro is Glyphosate with Diquat. Even at the high rate I don't think you will kill the brush entirely within 24 to 48 hours

tremor
08-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Add SCYTHE to any Roundup that you have. Many annual weeds will shrivel & die with you standing there if the sun is shining on them.

kabrac
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I know Roundup is a glyphosate, but t also happens to be the most expensive also, and if you ask me a waste of money. When you buy roundup, your just paying for the name that's all. Try Glystar products-Great product and alot cheaper than Roundup!

JimLewis
08-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I know Roundup is a glyphosate, but t also happens to be the most expensive also, and if you ask me a waste of money. When you buy roundup, your just paying for the name that's all. Try Glystar products-Great product and alot cheaper than Roundup!

Yah, I know that too. We don't actually use Roundup Pro. We use one of the generic ones that are the same thing. But I can never remember the name so we all still just call it Round-up Pro.

JimLewis
08-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Add SCYTHE to any Roundup that you have. Many annual weeds will shrivel & die with you standing there if the sun is shining on them.

Thanks. That's what we ended up doing today. I looked up the SCYTHE and talked to my project manager about it too. He had used it before and he has a degree in botany and agreed it works fast. So we went that direction. Thanks for the help!

Marcos
08-25-2008, 03:53 PM

That's the trouble with heavy doses of diquat, and Scythe herbicide, mixed with gly.
Everyone today seems to want the weeds killed yesterday, and applicators, of course, often get magnificent burndown with these additives.

But because the foliage was wiped out long before much glyphosate was able to make it to translocate to the roots, you're likely to be back there, staring at the same weeds again, a month or two later.

Scythe is fine with Roundup Pro...in very modest doses.
I'd NEVER recommend more than 2 oz / gallon.

Like Creech said...if you had to have an "immediate burndown" for some type of aesthetic reason, and didn't care about re-emergence from the roots, THEN you could go full-bore, whatever the label calls for.
At THAT rate, it'll probably wilt & die within your lunch hour if it's sunny enough! :laugh: