PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom compost any good to use?

Turfrific
08-25-2008, 05:10 AM
think im going to mix it in my garden, but just a thought, would it be ok to use on my lawn too? thanks for any and all advise.:)

ICT Bill
08-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Turfrific, It really matters what the management practices of the mushroom farmer is, some can be very high in salt (close to plant toxic) other farmers use a lot of pesticides. All of it has been sterilized before it was grown in, often they sterilize it after as well

It often can do more harm than good, you should compost it again in a pile of diverse stuff before using it on your plants.

Most organic farmers run from mushroom compost, too many variables and too much down side

treegal1
08-25-2008, 08:19 AM
welcome back bill? how was the trip?

Turf, most of the good stuff is all used up in shroom post, It does make good filler for your compost, if ya get paid to take it............

Compostwerks LLC
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
It shouldn't really be called compost at all; Think of it as 'spent mushroom growing media' or waste. I agree with the salt and pesticide issue, but there are issues with antibiotics as well.

I don't believe that the mushrooms take up those antibiotics, so they stay in the growing media.

I question weather you want to use that input in your garden.

If it were a valuable resource, why would the mushroom growers be getting rid of this 'compost'.

ICT Bill
08-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Peter, welcome to the forum, tell us a little about Compostwerks LLC. I have people asking for great compost all of the time, especially in New York.

are you guys aborists too?

TG, Thanks for the welcome back, it was a much needed time off. A year and a half of 100 hour weeks was starting to get to me. We went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and stayed in Hatteras, perfect weather and a great beach to relax on. While we were on vacation a buddy called and said "you sound depressed or upset" I said "no, just on vacation" he said "Oh, so this is your Zen side" LOL. No schedule it was perfect

Oh and I caught a bunch of Pompano off of the beach, all catch and release. they were all too small

treegal1
08-25-2008, 10:14 AM
good to hear that you got your R&R Bill, yes sorry about the small pompano, we send our baby's north,LOL.

peter welcome, its great to have another commercial composter on the forum, why did ya pull your site off the profile??? that's a great web site!!! I just hope mine turns out so well.

Turfrific
08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
:clapping:thanks again! always alot of help on here.:clapping:

treegal1
08-27-2008, 05:05 PM
re compost it and use it as a cheap filler or a cover /cap for your new compost pile. any ways good luck and happy composting

Compostwerks LLC
08-31-2008, 01:08 PM
good to hear that you got your R&R Bill, yes sorry about the small pompano, we send our baby's north,LOL.

peter welcome, its great to have another commercial composter on the forum, why did ya pull your site off the profile??? that's a great web site!!! I just hope mine turns out so well.

Thanks for the welcome! I didn't pull my profile off the site, it was done for me...oh well. I think admin thought it was a bit too much promotion for thier tast. So be it. It's thier site after all....

Thanks also about your comments on our site. (http://www.compostwerks.com) It's a work in frogress I guess. At lease I can edit and upload all by myself.

Take care!!!!

Peter Schmidt