PDA

View Full Version : Battery for Dump Trailer

Cart-Away
08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
We are looking for recommendations for a good battery in our DumpKing trailers. They are each electric/hydraulic.
We have recharging units in the box so that they can be charged up when they are parked at the store. We have not found a satisfactory long life battery. What have you found that works?
These trailers are used as "free" delivery units for customers when they purchases landscape materials from the store, so the trailers do get a bit of abuse.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
We are looking for recommendations for a good battery in our DumpKing trailers. They are each electric/hydraulic.
We have recharging units in the box so that they can be charged up when they are parked at the store. We have not found a satisfactory long life battery. What have you found that works?
These trailers are used as "free" delivery units for customers when they purchases landscape materials from the store, so the trailers do get a bit of abuse.

So you "lend" these trailers out to landscape customers to haul around supplies? damn, for free? The one i got is a double hydraulic ram setup with a 7x14' body, moves slow and sucks some power, about 300amps @ 12v going up with a heavy load. I think it has a marine deep cycle Interstate battery, personally if you can fit it, id say use dual batteries if using the dump a lot on em.

I know even with my diesel 06 f350 pulling mine, if i dump more often than every 1hr worth of driving it will severly suck the power down on the battery before it charges it back up. Only other thing would be to hook up some sort of heavier wire like a Salt spreader uses so you can recharge the battery faster like the trucks charge their own engine battery.

Petr51488
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Mine has a marine battery in it, and i'm pretty sure my truck slowly charges the battery when its connected.

flykelley
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
If it was me I would buy a Yellow Top, or better known as a Optima battery. Not cheap but well worth the money.

Regards Mike

Merlin300
08-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I also use a Interstate marine battery and I have had no problems with it. The only charge it has got is from the truck while hooked up.

BrandonV
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
If it was me I would buy a Yellow Top, or better known as a Optima battery. Not cheap but well worth the money.

Regards Mike

I second this, hold up the the bouncing around much better than a traditional battery.

seabee1
08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
get a group 21 deep cycle battery .they are meant to be continuously discharged and charged .exide or battery's plus .

Cart-Away
08-27-2008, 11:03 AM
We appreciate all the advice. We will test these suggestions. Our trailers need to be ready to roll several times a day as the landscapers and homeowners come and go with these dump trailers delivering the bulk goods to their job sites. We call this service "WE LOAD, YOU DELIVER" and it is a great benefit to those who don't want to pay delivery or wait on the trucks. It also saves contractors from investing in their own bulk dump trailers. A better battery system will insure that no one is stuck not being able to dump their load.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-27-2008, 11:55 AM
get a group 21 deep cycle battery .they are meant to be continuously discharged and charged .exide or battery's plus .

Yeah, mines a group 21 i know of. I too second the Exide, not the walmart crap either, get either "expensive" Orbitals like i have in one of my Pontiacs or their normal wet deep cycle, they too by far have one of the best and easiest warranties.

I had two fail in a shorter amount of time 1 and 2.5 years later, even the 2.5 year one they replaced at their warehouse in PA north of Philly, just gave me a new one and a receipt of exchange. The 1yr old orbital, not sure if it had a problem from the getgo, it was never powerful, havnt tried the new one yet b/c the car has been sitting. Ive heard others with the orbitals and they love them, cheaper than yellow or red tops too because they make more.

Oasis-Outdoor
08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
+ 1 on the Optima batteries. You will pay more than conventional batteries, but well worth the initial investment in the long run.

dcwservices
09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Check your local sports store or marine store. I purchased a small solar panel charger that i mounted to the top lid of my battery box. Using that and the charge that the battery gets from my truck, I havent put a charger on the battery in the past 5 months.
I think I paid $20.00 for it and it has a negative and positive alligator clip that connects to the battery. Very easy install.

seabee1
09-12-2008, 07:03 PM
that's kinda neat !

jaybird24
09-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Optima marine deep cycle will do the trick. Why are they going dead? If it is properly hooked up to a vehicle it should be charging. Another thing- if they are pulling loads like in the picture, do you make sure they have a trailer brake system in their vehicle, or do you lend them the vehicle also? For insurance purposes and the safety of everyone on the road I would not let them leave without a brake system. Not trying to be accusatory- it just seems difficult to monitor the use in this manner.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-12-2008, 11:19 PM
put in 2 yellow tops and youll be fine

GravelyNut
09-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Delco Marine Deep Cycle or a Rolls railroad grade deep cycle battery.

02DURAMAX
09-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Optimas a Great!!!

Cart-Away
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Jaybird24 has expressed a concern for braking safety. Thanks for your comments. The Cart-Away Supply trailers all come equipped with surge brakes to eliminate the need for electrical brake controllers. Surge brakes are common in rental duty trailers in the US and we have over 2000 trailers on the road using this system. When a customer comes in for some soil or ready-mix they get to use the delivery trailer at no-charge. This requires that our brakes work on a great variety of towing units. One of the other unique features of our system is that regular customers at Cart-Away Supply earn rental credit that they can use to rent any number of support tools and equipment for their jobs. It is sort of like Gillette razors, you buy the blades and they throw-in the handle. Cart-Away Supply customers purchase materials at the store and we throw-in the tools to make the project run smoothly. The entire Cart-Away Supply concept is to save people time and money in completing the best projects in the community.

Riley Lawn Service
09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
i would go with an optima battery for sure, when my mopar battery in my truck craps out im going to put dual optima yellow tops with a dual battery isolator. but one or two of those would surely power your trailer easily.

dcwservices
09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
why do these pics look weird?

firecatf7333
02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Bump To an old thread and a similar issue I have. I have a 16' Gooseneck dump trailer 5 Ton payload. I dump at least 100 loads through the whole year. Live in NY so it can get cold. From reading i'm going with Yellow Top

I currently use 2 interstate $100 batteries, but they are now shot and lasted 2 years. Would I need 2 Yellow Tops as well? When the interstates are new, they work fine, as the truck will charge the battery after an hour of driving, which is fine for me since I don't multiple dumps in short periods of time.

2 Yellow tops would be $230 each...Interstate are only 100 each. How long would the yellow tops last? It may still be cheaper to spend $200 every 2 years on Cheap Interstates as opposed to $460 every how many years?

I could also buy batteries from walmart/autozone and get a 2 year warranty and replace them for free every 2 years

ducnut
02-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Bump To an old thread and a similar issue I have. I have a 16' Gooseneck dump trailer 5 Ton payload. I dump at least 100 loads through the whole year. Live in NY so it can get cold. From reading i'm going with Yellow Top

I currently use 2 interstate $100 batteries, but they are now shot and lasted 2 years. Would I need 2 Yellow Tops as well? When the interstates are new, they work fine, as the truck will charge the battery after an hour of driving, which is fine for me since I don't multiple dumps in short periods of time.

2 Yellow tops would be $230 each...Interstate are only 100 each. How long would the yellow tops last? It may still be cheaper to spend $200 every 2 years on Cheap Interstates as opposed to $460 every how many years?

I could also buy batteries from walmart/autozone and get a 2 year warranty and replace them for free every 2 years

Running two batteries is about the reserve capacity and lessening the strain on just one battery.

What's killing your batteries is the discharging and idle time. Anytime batteries are in that state, they're sulfating. That'll continue until the sulfation grows to the point of shorting out on an adjacent plate, which kills the cell. Keeping a maintenance charge going to them will reduce that.

I'd do two Optimas and add a cheap, Harbor Freight solar panel setup to it. That way, anytime the trailer is exposed to the sun, the batteries are being charged. Otherwise, put a Battery Tender Jr on it. They're only ~$30 and have a permanent harness that simply unplugs, once installed. I have Tenders on all my stuff and plug them in, when parked.

Don't these trailers only charge when the lights are on? There's no power going through the trailer harness, unless lights are illuminated or brakes are applied. Am I correct?

BTW, If you open a commercial account with O'Reilly's, you'll get discounted prices. I don't if other chains are like that, though.

firecatf7333
02-11-2014, 02:48 PM
anyone have a link to a solar charger for a battery? I'd have to take the abuse of bumps going down the road

Mud23609
02-11-2014, 03:02 PM
When I had my gooseneck dump I added a much larger wire (it was actually an old welding cable) from the batteries in front to the trailer battery. Ran it though a spare ford starter solenoid I had laying around and put it on a switch so it wouldn't pull power unless I wanted it to. Never once had any trouble with a dead battery after that setup, no matter how many times I dumped it in a day. That trailer was a 2010 model and the original battery was still working fine with thousands of dumps on it when I sold the trailer earlier this week.

firecatf7333
02-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Does it matter if the solar charger is permanently mounted to the trailer? Can I set the solar charger on trailer when not in use...and then unhook and put it in my truck when using? The chargers ive seen on northern tool and Harbor freight don't have a mounting bracket that would mount to a trailer..plus it would take a beating bouncing down the road. The only disadvantage would be i'm not getting a solar charge While using the trailer. Is it going to make much a difference with it not hooked up during use?

Mud 23609.....Can you explain your setup more in detail? How many years did you use the original battery? So you were using the 2 Truck batteries to power the dump? I've got 2 truck batteries and 2 trailer batteries.....4 damn batteries to power a 5 ton dump seems ridiculous....

ducnut
02-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Does it matter if the solar charger is permanently mounted to the trailer? Can I set the solar charger on trailer when not in use...and then unhook and put it in my truck when using? The chargers ive seen on northern tool and Harbor freight don't have a mounting bracket that would mount to a trailer..plus it would take a beating bouncing down the road. The only disadvantage would be i'm not getting a solar charge While using the trailer. Is it going to make much a difference with it not hooked up during use?

Just Google "Unbreakable Solar Battery Charger" and stuff comes up. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

Have you determined if charging is a matter of having your tow vehicle's lights turned on?

Mud 23609.....Can you explain your setup more in detail? How many years did you use the original battery? So you were using the 2 Truck batteries to power the dump? I've got 2 truck batteries and 2 trailer batteries.....4 damn batteries to power a 5 ton dump seems ridiculous....

He's talking about running a dedicated, auxiliary cable to the trailer's batteries from the tow vehicle. You can use a connector like this, to do that. (http://www.jegs.com/i/Taylor/895/21518/10002/-1) You're going to spend well over $200 in cable, connectors, isolator, etc, which may be worth it if you want continuous charging to your trailer batteries.

Mud23609
02-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Basically dc nut is correct. In my case I had some old welding leads laying around and pulled a ford starter solenoid off on old truck. Total cost for me was about thirty bucks for the connectors at the solenoid and the cable I ran from the solenoid to the batterys. I reused the welding cable connectors for the trailer to truck connections.

The battery that I sold the trailer with was the original single battery that came with it back when I bought it new in late 09 (2010 model) and still had enough power left in it to dump the trailer several times even not hooked to the charging circuit. The basic effect was like having built in jumper cables hooked to the trailer battery at all times with a switch to turn them on and off.

firecatf7333
02-12-2014, 10:23 AM
What is the purpose of the old starter solenoid? Did the solenoid go in the trailer battery box? What did you use for a on/off switch? I'm going to do that setup b/c I use the trailer enough to justify the cost of hooking it up. What gage wire should I use since I will prolly be buying it

If I use this setup....do you think I can get away with one battery, since I will be drawing off the 2 truck batteries anyway.

Mud23609
02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Basically it was so I could use a much smaller in cab switch to turn the power on and off. My power came though a keyed source to a switch and then to the solenoid. The solenoid contacts would not close unless the key and the switch were both on. It was there as a way to prevent the trailer battery from drawing on the truck batteries if the trailer battery was low when the truck wasn't running. I mounted the solenoid on the firewall in the engine bay on the drivers side.

As far as one battery, all I ever had in mine was the single interstate marine battery that the trailer came with new.

firecatf7333
02-12-2014, 11:58 AM
I put a multimeter on my dump batteries when they were unhooked from truck and they showed 12.5-12.6

Could this mean they are still working? I'd know more if the temp would get up to 40 or 50 as the hydraulics work very very slow in the cold and must draw a lot from the batteries. They have a free 18 month replacement but if they are showing 12.5 volts I'm not sure they'd replace them anyway.

Mud23609
02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
As far as the gauge. Bigger is better really. I would go with at least 4 gauge if not larger. Thats a fairly long run with a fair amount of amperage. Bigger cables on long runs mean less resistance and faster charging.

Mud23609
02-12-2014, 12:02 PM
The voltage is fine, they would really need to load test them though to tell if they were bad. I have seen plenty that had good voltage but failed the load test.

ducnut
02-12-2014, 12:02 PM
What is the purpose of the old starter solenoid?

It acts as a relay, without having bulky switches to handle large amperages.

Did the solenoid go in the trailer battery box/

It goes as close to the truck battery as possible. You want as little amount of cable "live" as possible, when not charging.

What did you use for a on/off switch? I'm going to do that setup b/c I use the trailer enough to justify the cost of hooking it up.

Any simple, 12V switch will work.

What gage wire should I use since I will prolly be buying it.

You can get 2ga from any online hotrod supplier. You'll want enough to do, both, positive and negative leads. Don't rely on the vehicle or trailer chassis for a ground.

If I use this setup....do you think I can get away with one battery, since I will be drawing off the 2 truck batteries anyway.

Yes.

I'd highly recommend enlisting a knowledgeable mechanic to help you with this, as it doesn't sound like you're familiar with this stuff. You're dealing with a huge amount of amperage. If not done correctly, it'd be real easy to burn your truck to the ground.

ducnut
02-12-2014, 12:04 PM
I put a multimeter on my dump batteries when they were unhooked from truck and they showed 12.5-12.6.

You need to fully charge them. Then, have them load tested.

The voltage is fine, they would really need to load test them though to tell if they were bad. I have seen plenty that had good voltage but failed the load test.

Same here.

zabmasonry
02-14-2014, 08:43 AM
I have no doubt that the optima batteries are great batteries, however I would contest their applicability for a dump trailer application.

Optima batteries are designed to have significantly more surface area to store charge on. they are constructed using 6 "toilet paper" rolls of lead mesh for their cells. this makes for a battery that can store or discharge very quickly. thus the higher CCA ratings and stronger starts.

A dump trailer however needs a prolonged discharge, which optima batteries tend to do worse on. I'm guessing that while you can buy an optima battery with a sufficient reserve capacity, the increase in price is really not worth it.

firecatf7333
02-14-2014, 01:56 PM
I bought welding wire with a 150 Amp breaker and will be running that to the back...then have the connectors where I can unplug when I disconnect the trailer. I'm going to try this with the current batteries I have and may not get new batteries.

Thanks