PDA

View Full Version : How to remove light mortar stains?

Garyl53
08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Hi,
I put some mortar in the back of the joints of a red sandstone wall to provide some support for the top row of stone that was sliding all over the place. It rained and now there is a little mortar film on the front of a few of the stones. Water and scrubbbing did not do anything. Is there a cleaner that can be used that will not harm the red sandstone?
Thanks,
Gary

JLAWNCARE
08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
acid wash it

Garyl53
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I was concerned that the acid would discolor the red sandstone. I guess I can try it on a small piece before I try it on the wall.
Any other ideas?

orionkf
08-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Water it down, throw some sand on it, and scrub it around. If it's light and fresh it might work.

richallseasons
08-25-2008, 11:44 PM
muriatic acid, dilute it 50% with water and use a stiff bristle brush, it will not hurt the stone. make sure you hose it down good when you get the disired result

bike5200
08-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Try Vinegar, it is a acid, use it to clean ceramic tile, use it on some glass block too. If you have cement on you hands, Vinegar will clean it off with out burning the skin.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Water it down, throw some sand on it, and scrub it around. If it's light and fresh it might work.

I think efflorescence cleaner "in a bottle" dilluted would work for this too. I know it works on paver stains, and stuff like lime and calcium buildups and deposits that may be on pavers or flagstone. Its sold by most hardscape suppliers in a gallon for $20-30. Dillutes down a lot so it lasts a while, foams up when brushing it on the area your cleaning.