PDA

View Full Version : Z-Plug Aerator Video

ZSpray Info
08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I also posted this in another forum on LawnSite, but thought you guys might be interested as well. We are working on a product video. Here is our rough copy on YouTube. I am sure some of you guys offer aeration as part of your programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4dlWLQ2qc

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I have one........It's awesome:):clapping:

GravelyGuy
08-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Wow, it looks so easy to use. I could see that machine paying for its self very quickly.:clapping:

Jerry Andersen
08-25-2008, 10:49 PM
a friend of mine & i just picked up 2 of them.

Real Green
08-26-2008, 08:58 AM
I also posted this in another forum on LawnSite, but thought you guys might be interested as well. We are working on a product video. Here is our rough copy on YouTube. I am sure some of you guys offer aeration as part of your programs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4dlWLQ2qc

I own a Z plugger. I'd love to say something nice about it...

group501
08-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I own a Z plugger. I'd love to say something nice about it...

But......?

Real Green
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
But......?

But....

Our new board member ZSpray Info has failed to realize that the people they choose to attack or call out are consumers of their product. I made a statement in a thread a while back that was for PermaGreens relating to how anyone who made a positive comment about the T3000 was chewed apart by people for a long time and after I saw Z Spray Info post, you and everyone else had seen it. Z Spray Info threw in a plug and I made the comment that it had been hijacked (maybe a bad term to use at the time) simply because I was trying to relate it to the issuing of discussion involving the T3000. They went a little overboard in their response and have exhibited being extremely sensitive. I even try to say what's done is done. But in a recent thread, Z Spray Info made it clear that they wanted to keep on going. It's really made their company look professional and I may be one person, but I'll make sure I mark them off my list the next time I am considering an equipment purchase...

ZSpray Info
08-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Real Green, I apologize if you felt I called you out. I was actually being tongue in cheek when I made my response, as that was the reason I used an emoticon.

Scgentlman1
08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
And what is the cost of this machine? and what is the downside looks to good to be true.:clapping:

ZSpray Info
08-26-2008, 12:44 PM
And what is the cost of this machine? and what is the downside looks to good to be true.:clapping:

Price of the 36" model (46" wide at the rear tire) is $6795.00 Right now we are offering a $250 discount of new machine purchases.

The downside of this machine is what to do with your extra time. You should be able to get 60,000-80,000 sq ft per hour production, depending on speed. Top Speed is 8 mph.

sclawndr
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I can help with the downside. I own one and I can say that everything in the video is correct - it turns well, pulls a great plug and the Z reliability is legendary. The downside - it's limited because it doesn't do very well on slopes. Like all hydros, it's real easy to get stuck and spin like crazy and it's not always easy to figure out when that will happen. Unlike a walk behind aerator, the Z can't pull itself along, so if you get stuck, you really get stuck. Keep a walk behind with you to hit all the spots the Z can't and you'll be fine.

Lawnchick22
08-26-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd have to agree with the previous post. It does do well on fairly flat, dry to moist lawns. You can get stuck easily and sometimes you can't even tell that you are spinning the tires. Also, the tines (plugs) are further apart than a walk behind.
BUT, having said all that, it can be a tremendous time and labor saver!

Runner
08-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I also noticed that you are going to miss about a foot and a half next to beds, due to the clearance of the rear drive wheels. Combine this with the gap of area that you cannot touch because of the distance between the front of the front wheel, and the vertical center of the aerator spindles, and you have SEVERAL square feet that are unable to be done. Great for wide open areas, but anything with a border, and it is alot of area that doesn't get done without carrying a second aerator with you (another $3000). I'll stick to a tow behind that has the reach. I sure like the concept, though.

turfsurfer
08-28-2008, 12:45 AM
I've owned a 36" Z-Plug for 3 seasons now and have not experienced any of the problems noted here. The only issues I've had on hills have been on very steep, wet hills. I can put it on the tiniest of yards. The only reason I still have a walk behind is for yards with small fence gates, and I absolutely dread having to use it. On the other hand, no offense to Tom Rich and his very capable crew but I hope you all hate the Z-Plug. People have a tendency to drop their prices when they suddenly work much faster and easier. We wouldn't want that now would we?

heathbar0
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I've owned a 36" Z-Plug for 3 seasons now and have not experienced any of the problems noted here. The only issues I've had on hills have been on very steep, wet hills. I can put it on the tiniest of yards. The only reason I still have a walk behind is for yards with small fence gates, and I absolutely dread having to use it. On the other hand, no offense to Tom Rich and his very capable crew but I hope you all hate the Z-Plug. People have a tendency to drop their prices when they suddenly work much faster and easier. We wouldn't want that now would we?

+1

I have 2 z-pluggers, and they blow away anything else, if you cant use them on a hill, you dont know how to drive one, or are overcautious.

I used the Ryan walkbehinds 20 years ago, uuugggghh, hate em', then a Ryan tow behind with an ATV for years, then a Power-trac with a Mill Creek aerator, and that was awsome! Than came the Z-plugger, I dont know of anything better.

sclawndr
08-28-2008, 12:47 PM
+1

I have 2 z-pluggers, and they blow away anything else, if you cant use them on a hill, you dont know how to drive one, or are overcautious.

Can't see how it's a question of knowing what I'm doing. They either get traction or they don't. You can try to feather the power but you need a certain amount of power to push the tines along. If the wheels start spinning while you're going up a hill, there isn't much you can do. The wheels aren't connected to the tines so they can't help. If the wheels spin, you only have two choices - lift the tines up and try to move or try to loop around so that you're only aerating down hill.

turfsurfer
08-29-2008, 11:20 PM
SClawndr, I'll trade you my Ryan Lawnaire V for your Z-Plug right now. I'll even pay for shipping. OK ,the Ryan will go on any hill without sliding. It will also beat you half to death and wear you out.:weightlifter::cry:

sclawndr
08-30-2008, 09:26 AM
SClawndr, I'll trade you my Ryan Lawnaire V for your Z-Plug right now. I'll even pay for shipping. OK ,the Ryan will go on any hill without sliding. It will also beat you half to death and wear you out.:weightlifter::cry:

You're right and no thanks. I'm happy with the Z and was only pointing out a shortcoming that is common to a lot of hydros. It may depend on what you call a hill. Compared to here, Columbus is a pool table. The 3 point stance on the Z takes away the option of going side to side since when you lift the tines, you're definitely going down hill whether you want to or not. The only real frustration so far has been trying to figure out exactly where the Z will get stuck. Guess it's just a matter of experience. We can use the Z on about 75% of our yards and so the walk behind is, unfortunately, still a necessity.

RigglePLC
08-30-2008, 11:11 AM
loved the video. Now for the final video would you mind putting a really cute spokesmodel on the machine? It would hold my interest better. And if she could actually operate the machine on a hill--then anybody could.

goof999
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM

we use the aerator and i will say the controls are a little jerky compared to a regular z spray. i'm not sure if it has to do with the three wheel design or not but the controls could be much smoother for getting through tight areas. over all well worth having for large open jobs. opens up opportunities to do jobs you would never do with a walk behind!

grassman177
08-31-2008, 06:10 PM
HEY zspray. we love your sprayers and hope around here nobody gets the idea from us couse we are smokin the companies i think here this year. just ordered our junior custom, thanks for the pics

the topic at hand, ZPLUG------ i think, this is the best machine i have seen other than the classen and have used that a bit before. but seriously like the concept and can see the advatages already. my dad being reluctant to see it due to the three wheel design. honestly i dont like that much either. why not four wheels?????????????/

it would have to be more stable, there must be a design reason for this, maybe the better flotation of the tines!!! please give some insight on this for us.

grassman177
08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
i would like to see what a oscilating front end with two wheels would do, you would still the the triangulation effect!

ZSpray Info
09-03-2008, 05:44 PM
HEY zspray. we love your sprayers and hope around here nobody gets the idea from us couse we are smokin the companies i think here this year. just ordered our junior custom, thanks for the pics

the topic at hand, ZPLUG------ i think, this is the best machine i have seen other than the classen and have used that a bit before. but seriously like the concept and can see the advatages already. my dad being reluctant to see it due to the three wheel design. honestly i dont like that much either. why not four wheels?????????????/

it would have to be more stable, there must be a design reason for this, maybe the better flotation of the tines!!! please give some insight on this for us.

We use the tricycle design so the user can bring the aeration head right up to a tree ring, or bed line, otherwise the aeration head would not be able to get as close. Also, if we use 4 wheels, the unit would be longer in length, due to the head needing to clear the wheels while turning. Our head units can turn 30 degrees while engaged. Hope that makes sense.

ant
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
i own 2 of them for a few years now and love them.

Joshuakwhit
09-04-2008, 10:27 PM
We have Zplug as well. As anyone ever tried bar type tread on these machines before. I know they might tear up some ground, would it really make a difference. We just installed some on a zero turn mower and really can't tell the that it doesn't do anymore damage on the pivot wheel than turfsaver treads

humble1
09-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I can help with the downside. I own one and I can say that everything in the video is correct - it turns well, pulls a great plug and the Z reliability is legendary. The downside - it's limited because it doesn't do very well on slopes. Like all hydros, it's real easy to get stuck and spin like crazy and it's not always easy to figure out when that will happen. Unlike a walk behind aerator, the Z can't pull itself along, so if you get stuck, you really get stuck. Keep a walk behind with you to hit all the spots the Z can't and you'll be fine.

I wonder if you could get a paddle tire- not sure if thats what its called, they use them on atvs in areas with a lot of sand. I put one a set on my old toro z rider back in the earl 90's I couldnt believe the hills i could get on without sliding.

humble1
09-07-2008, 09:43 AM
We use the tricycle design so the user can bring the aeration head right up to a tree ring, or bed line, otherwise the aeration head would not be able to get as close. Also, if we use 4 wheels, the unit would be longer in length, due to the head needing to clear the wheels while turning. Our head units can turn 30 degrees while engaged. Hope that makes sense.

could you canterlever the head out front like a snowplow then you could really get in close and pull the front wheels in closer?

ZSpray Info
09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
could you canterlever the head out front like a snowplow then you could really get in close and pull the front wheels in closer?

Problem would be that all the weight would be in the front instead of centered. It would be hard to turn.

turfsolutions
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
I've been aerating for 12 seasons and just started my sept. aerations today. I do not need a small walkbehind to trim, my 36 inch z plug unit WILL get right up against any beds. I have the duck tires so I rarely slip. I even aerate and overseed in the rain at times with no problem. Pittsburg folks may have some trouble on their hills because they have some nasty hills in Pitt. However, normal hills are no problem. The 3 wheel design is borderline genius as that is what makes you able to aerate the nooks and cranny's as you will see when you operate. Downsides? not many. My older model has less power turning right then left as the lift hydro effects the right turn. I do wish it had a head with smaller tines, with more tines per reel. All in all a great machine. Oh yeah, I ordered new tines for the ones that occasionally fall off. It took all of 3 days to arrive at my door. Great customer service. My 2 cents.

jbturf
09-15-2008, 07:35 PM
i finally recieved my Z-plug 36 today!

i had some concerns b4 hand about traction, handling,
the 3 wheel design

after running it around on my own lawn late this afternoon,
i got a good feel for it.
the three wheel design makes perfect sense to me now,
and it works great.
the machine handles slopes well and gets good traction,
i could run circles around the zspray jr i got.

i think i would like to add a few lbs to the tine head,
any ideas on that?

Im very happy so far, wish i got this years ago
Josh

humble1
09-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I noticed something on the vidoe, the head bounces and rocks back and forth, i understand it will bounce when it hits a rock but does inertia keep it rocking, could you put a light duty shock absorber on both sides to allow it to bounce if it hits a rock, but would quickly keep it from continuing to bounce or rock.

ZSpray Info
09-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I noticed something on the vidoe, the head bounces and rocks back and forth, i understand it will bounce when it hits a rock but does inertia keep it rocking, could you put a light duty shock absorber on both sides to allow it to bounce if it hits a rock, but would quickly keep it from continuing to bounce or rock.

We just needed to take some slack out of the chains, and it eliminates most of the rocking.