PDA

View Full Version : The perils of trading on CL

johngallaway
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
So some of you might know I'm looking for a trade to get some good equipment for my motorcycle. Listing it on Craigslist has brought me everything from low dollar offers to a very funny one for a washer and dryer setup (didn't even mention in the ad if I have a place to live - this guy just walked into his laundry room and wrote down what he saw I think!

One guy offered me a 48in commerical scag tiger cub. He says "it has about 500 hours on it but will be in running good condition. i own mccoys lawn equipment in austin and i sell these machines, so i will go through it before i give it to you. the machine is about 3 years old. 48in cut 21hp kawasaki."

Sound like a good trade for a $2000 motorcycle?

txgrassguy
08-25-2008, 05:37 PM
What kind of motorcycle do you have for trade?
And what kind of equipment do you want?
PM or post here, either way is okay.
I'm up the road about 1.5 hrs from you just west of Austin.

johngallaway
08-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I have a 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800. It has around 35 miles on it. This is my baby and I've maintained it as such. Vance and Hines pipes, Mustang seat, drag bars, cam, and new sprocket set and chain.

I laid it over and the family wants me to stop riding. It needs left hand grip, left running board, left turn signal, headlamp, and the front fender and windshield need to be deleted. The engine guard was installed so there's no frame, engine, transmission, or any of that damaged. My mechanic quoted me $350 to bring this bike back to it's previous state given I am happy without a windshield. :cool2:

I'm interested in a good mower and any other small equipment to get the job done. No push mowers - got one.

johngallaway
08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
(35k miles) :)

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
I was saying 35 mile hell you just whent down the road laid it over brought it back and the wife said no more LOL .

mattxb
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was selling a modified Golf Cart and got a phone call from a very "southern" women asking if I wanted to trade it for a Train Horn with custom skull and flame airbrushed air tank, a couple of guns, some gold jewlery and an old bomb casing painted up like a World War II Bomber plane! LOL :confused:

VirginiaLawnCare
08-26-2008, 12:08 PM
That is why I hate CL I put a bobcat on there straight up for sale and i was getting all kinds of weird phone calls asking if i needed dump trucks, escavators and all this crap. It even said in it for sale only.

johngallaway
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
So does anyone have anything actually useful they want to trade (or have the money?). This really is a great bike. I went out and started it yesterday - first push of the button with half choke and it was running strong.

Things I might be interested in:
Riding Mower (most desired) lawn tractor is fine
ATV
Bunch of equipment (weed whacker, chainsaw, trimmer, blower, etc) equaling $1500+.
Good looking reliable car
Hand guns
Shotguns

I'll entertain deals but please no train horns or painted bomb casings.

topsites
09-01-2008, 03:40 AM
I personally just don't care for that method of trading anymore...
It's too much hassle.

But I will say I think it has gotten worse, it used to be one of my favorite ways of doing things was these
local trading papers and publications (of which CL would conform).

That is why I hate CL I put a bobcat on there straight up for sale and i was getting all kinds of weird phone calls asking if i needed dump trucks, escavators and all this crap. It even said in it for sale only.

Don't feel bad, I get haggled around when I explicitly put the price as "$xxx firm!"

Put it on ebay, sell it, then buy what you need (maybe also from ebay lol).