PDA

View Full Version : East coast guys, difference between normal and comm. ez pass?

Ramairfreak98ss
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
IT doesnt really say in all of the literature. and with that, all guys, from 1 man companies to ones with multiple trucks/trailers and employees still use their normal ez pass "white tags" in NJ. I see most all commercial TRUCK trucks though with the commercial blue tags. Now i've already have 4 tags, three for the cars and one that i swap between trucks, which they say is a violation but ive never had a problem, other than forgetting to bring the darn tag with me in a certain truck while on a toll road.

I did run into a problem a year ago, drove on the PA turn pike for a few exits to the northeast extension, about 30~ miles, got off and got back on, tag didnt read so it charged me by my license plate lookup, which showed the truck registered for 19,000lbs. Thats 19k total if im pulling a trailer fully loaded and all as NJ requires, theres no way i should have had to pay a freking $25 toll that is normally $3.25 just because they charged me class 1 going there and class 6 comming back when the tag was "misread"

Anyway, i paid the toll, but ever since then, ive never even considered paying top dollar for ez pass commercial. Now if my 06 F350 is over 7k empty, and i have to register it as a pickup truck over 7k, how much more will that cost? They dont offer prices for anything on ezpassnj.com . Also will it charge me that premium fee AND THEN the trailer cost of 2 axles extra when puling the trailer?

Ive wondered, if i had the trailer with me in PA when i was charged $25 for the $3.25 toll, would it still have been MORE or the same because the 19k includes any trailer gvwr?

It appears its $21 per tag commercial and a 45 day buffer down payment to fill the account with what you'll normally use in a 45 day span, which isnt much for us.