americanlawn
08-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Anybody have experience "spreading it"?

Advantages: cheap

Disadvantages: ??????

rscvp, thanks

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-25-2008, 08:04 PM
From what my rep told me it is MORE costly? Are you talking about soluble type?

ted putnam
08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I have used it in the past to give a lawn a quick "jolt". It will do that....but to go out and do a day's production would be a nightmare. It begins soaking up moisture from humidity as soon as you open the bag and or pour it in the hopper. Reduced rates would make it nicer as far as the load you have to haul to get your N out. Other than that, it would be a nightmare at least in my area...high humidity most of the time and afternoon T-showers.

americanlawn
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Yep, and that's my fear. It disolves quickly. Humidity/ dew on grass = not good? Fert build-up on impeller + let it sit in the bag = concrete?

heritage
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Anybody have experience "spreading it"?

Advantages: cheap

Disadvantages: ??????

rscvp, thanks

American,

Sprayable is usually "Prilled" and yes I have spread that @ 3 Lbs per 1K in October/November (low humidity days) for late season Fert......Sive it through hopper screens and do not store in hot/humid storage...Will become Brick......Then can only put in tank to Liquid Fert.

"Granular" is coated with small amout of Calcium Carbonate as I recall, and has larger prill size and Spreads Great....Is NOT Soluable I do believe.

Pete

DUSTYCEDAR
08-25-2008, 08:24 PM
YES u can but have to keep it dry

RigglePLC
08-25-2008, 08:30 PM
We have applied sprayable urea many times. No problem, provided you can adjust your spreader down to about 2 lbs per 1000 sqft. Must be applied evenly. Excess will burn the grass, of course. Not long-lasting, of course. And as Ted pointed out it is hygroscopic--it attracts moisture during periods of high humidity. During July and August the bags often become hard as bricks.

americanlawn
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks -- that's what I'm hearing. It's too risky for me. Gotta go now, cuz I'm watching ted kennedy vouching for Osama on TV. :laugh::cry:

RAlmaroad
08-26-2008, 05:55 AM
I use the sprayable Urea every month to spike my 13-0-44 on the St. Augustine. When I open the bag I take out enough for the day then reseal the bag with duct tape and put the bag in a plastic contractor's bag to keep out any extra humidity. Roy

greendoctor
08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I keep urea, calcium nitrate and Peters solubles in their own 5 gallon pails and snap the lids on tight. If I do not do that, the high humidity here turns fertilizers into mush.