Axl
08-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Let me know what you guys think

Axl
08-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Night Shots

ponderosa
08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Axl - I like the width. Makes it look more substanial and seems to be pretty evenly distributed.
Lighting seems nice also.
Good job.

Kennedy Landscaping
08-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Very nice feature. Where did you get your lights and rocks at though? I will be doing a pondless waterfall in the next month or so(my first) so any help would be appreciated. Does it sound the same is if it was going into a pond at the bottom of the fall instead of a bed of rocks?

XStream Aquatics
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Come on guys, let's be honest even thou it's his first. If somebody doesn't tell him not to mix 3-4 different style rocks(like material and colors) then he will do it again. Axl try to pick one style rock and go with it. To many people think you have to use flat rocks to make waterfall cascade. Try using boulders. There is tons of ways to make the water go over or around them. I like to make channels, this is were you get the water narrowed down between two rocks and after a little practice you can get your water to curl over at the bottom when it hits the stream and get a differnt sound too. Using boulders gives it a real natural effect. Hey we all started somewhere's and have gone thru the critic stage. I am still changing things to make my falls/streams more natural. I wish I had pond forums when I first started.

ericmcj31
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I have to agree with Xstream--the first thing I noticed is that you used about 4 diff. types of rocks--stick with one kind--it looks better. It does look good (esp. for 1st)-but almost looks fake--in the 1st and 2nd pics. Don't get offended-I didn't type to make you mad-but just trying to help ya out--good luck and keep the pics. coming--I DID like the night pics. though-

Axl
08-26-2008, 09:37 PM
No worries mate! As strange as this may sound, the customer asked me to create a waterfall that was "different". She wanted different colors and variations of rock. Not sure if u can tell but the flagstone is called Heather Random Slate and is purple/green, we mixed michigan boulders in and the third stone... Im not sure what its called but its green as well.

The customer was very pleased and eventhough it doesnt look natural I am very proud to say I built it.

All opinions are welcome...no offense taken

XStream Aquatics
08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
main thing "the customers happy" right, no not necessarly she might be happy now but will she be a year from now(not directing this actually towards you just an example). What I mean is ALWAYS make sure you don't take any shortcuts and do the job right even if it takes an extra day. Sometimes trying to please a customer can hinder your quality/workmanship. I've had customers come to me and ask me to do something and if it's possible I will, but if it's not I'll tell them you hired me for me skill/professionalism and judgement and I can't do that, It will hinder my workmanship and cause you problems down the road. Very seldom does it occur but have had a few customers with stupid requests. Remember pleasing the customer is good but how many other people (future clients) will see your feature and judge what the see.