PDA

View Full Version : help???

treegal1
08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
what to charge??
we have had several requests(from hard core lurkers) to help them set up there operations. should I pre package all the toys and gear and send them that and then go teach them how to do it?? or just get a few$ for the diy plans and charge a fee to instruct them??

and if I had to send phill for a week or 2 and set up the gear and show them how it works what arrangements should I make???

they want the works, brewer, spray rig, compost,screen's, fish oil, bio diesel, the whole 9 yards spelled out to the nides........

JDUtah
08-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Either way you do it, just make sure you give them enough training and understanding (written or consulting) to make sure you are not giving a blind man a pistol. If they pay you, you will want to cover your butt. Good luck!

I have a friend who does home inspections. He pays more insurance than another friend who is a chiropractor. Insurance is fairly important once you get into manufacturing... might want to weigh that into the decision.

JDUtah
08-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Also,

If you just sold the plans... you can have it automated on your website. They pay and download them, you didn't have to do a thing. I personally would lean towards that... but I lean more intellectual and you more applicable and hands on, so manufacturing it might fit your style better.

As far as cost... you have a lot of trial and error to be where you are at.. it is worth a lot!

growingdeeprootsorganicly
08-26-2008, 04:12 PM
tree,
is your secret to beating crab grass organically included too? thats worth alot if you really have figured that out, think of the difference you would make to the industry and mostly environment if you could possibly share that with the community.!

i think you know the answer to your question about price and what to include.
your one smart cookie! " i like to bounce idea's off peoples heads too when i know or think i know to get a different perspective of things. i get that

i guess it matters all on what they want and are able to spend.
you got to pay to play right? put all the cards on the table and see what they want to spend, you guys only know what you have put into you biz and the ups and downs figuring it out. whats that worth?

with a little research most can find good equipment but to offer the right knowledge to use it and the recipe to success is worth way more! in my book anyway

good luck what ever you do

ICT Bill
08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Stick to what your good at, if you move too much from your core business you need to look at it very carefully

A good home builder knows how things go together and what the proper sequence is, not only a craftsman but a knowledgeable craftsman

You could put a pile of lumber on site and give me a book and I guarantee you it would look nothing like a house, I may not be able to even make a dog house out it

What you do works because you are a knowledgeable craftsman, it may not work as well (or at all) for someone else, you also only get about 20 hours of sleep in week, many do not or are not willing to work as hard as you do.

just my 2 cents

How much to charge?? they couldn't afford it, is where you start

Smallaxe
08-27-2008, 08:55 AM
All the expenses of travel obviously need to be covered.

You may get an 'all expense paid trip to' - Hooterville, IL one day!

Profit vs. Perks. :)

Kiril
08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Expenses + consult fees = what Bill said.

DeepGreenLawn
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
There are a lot of consulting companies out there... just sell them a peice of equipment and either have a consulting fee built in or charge extra. Then have a consulting fee for each time you go visit...

Or just start up franchise... would that not be the same almost? Then they can have a meeting so many times a year and get any questions answered? Also you can help with any problems along the way? I don't know... if you do that just make sure you cherry pick your franchisees, my dad is a franchisee, except it is a little backwards... he is basically showing the parent company how to run the business, even was in charge of the other franchisees the parent company brought in for a while. He finally brought in his buddy to help them so he could focus on his businesses, and he was tired of putting up with the nonsense they kept throwing at him.

ICT Bill
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Franchises are a legaleez nightmare and take a minimum of 10 to 12 months to get approved. Step away quickly

DeepGreenLawn
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
lol... just a thought...

JDUtah
08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
10-12 months isn't that bad.. big companies take 15-20 years to build before they begin to see their good fruits. franchises offer A LOT of power not only to the founder but to the economy. Yes they might take a lot more work (you have to set up a VERY good procedure book and training program, and like Bill said... a lot of legal to-do) but they are more powerful! Think... run a ma' and pa' operation and help 500 customers every year.. or work to build a franchise and help over 5 million...? Can you imagine all the waste that would be properly diverted with 5 million people?

But that's getting into big corporate operations.. which seem to be discouraged with most organically biased people... I seriously wonder why?

But for tree.. I personally wouldn't suggest the franchise bit, I know she has mentioned it, but I just don't think it is her flavor. I don't know Phill though. .02

DeepGreenLawn
08-27-2008, 11:36 AM
that was just to get aproved.

If you are to do a franchise, you have to have everything as simple as it gets... that is where I see the main problem... with a franchise it needs to be simple... basically, and unfortunately, something you can put in a bag and sell... unless you can be right there hands on... I believe tree might be helping people near her in Fl where she can run over and spend a day or two with them solving problems and getting them set up but it seems that would be hard to do with someone in a different state or across the nation.

robtown
08-27-2008, 09:15 PM
why dont you run a class.
Instead of sending someone somewhere ...have people come to you.
have people come to you give a tour ...show them how much work goes into it so they are prepared.
walk them through building a brewer, sprayer & anything else.
If you are going to show someone how to start than you should make sure they are on the right path...

DeepGreenLawn
08-27-2008, 09:31 PM
she holds tours once a week... well she did until they moved, I am sure they put that on hold for a minute...

One day...

DUSTYCEDAR
08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
CAN I TRADE FOR SOME SECRETS:weightlifter:

David W
08-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I've been lurking for a while and learning. If I have any secrets it comes from you know who ;-)

"Compost does a soil good"

Prolawnservice
08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
why dont you run a class.
Instead of sending someone somewhere ...have people come to you.
have people come to you give a tour ...show them how much work goes into it so they are prepared.
walk them through building a brewer, sprayer & anything else.
If you are going to show someone how to start than you should make sure they are on the right path...

:clapping::clapping:

JDUtah
08-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Have them pay you to work for you for a week.. that'l teach 'em ins and outs. lol

treegal1
08-29-2008, 12:59 PM
ok, so we decided to just get a farm, 4 acres, and use that as a demonstration/ class. do the set up of all the equipment that one may need, have it there for sale or you can do the diy thing. as far as the rest of the help and Q/A that we have a demand for that will have to go through the pro door of the new site. the weed and feed and some of the other ideas we are working on are going to have to get sold separately. now the only thing to decide on is the cost for a 3 day class, all the finer points worms compost brewers, putting it all to work, see the field results, visit a 2200 acre sod farm, see a organic farm we tend to that is 40 acres, 1 year into the black $ wise, with my system!! and the whole nine yards. we will even help you build and run your first brew and brewer. how does this sound.

oh and fresh and salt fishing.LOLOL

DeepGreenLawn
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
that would be cool, then you can operate your farm that you do your classes at and make some product... maybe nothing big, but still, will allow you to make money off of it. And the people can see the work in action, not just some piece of equipment on a showroom floor.

treegal1
08-29-2008, 01:22 PM
mostly yucca and some palms(the rare kind) in addition to a sod test bed with several types of sod. we want to do the lawn care part in as small an area as possible so that others with limited space can do it!!! maybe 5K total??? or less maybe 2500sqft something that could be done any place. the farm is also a great place to farm fish in the canal( wire pens).

Smallaxe
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM
10-12 months isn't that bad.. big companies take 15-20 years to build before they begin to see their good fruits. franchises offer A LOT of power not only to the founder but to the economy. Yes they might take a lot more work (you have to set up a VERY good procedure book and training program, and like Bill said... a lot of legal to-do) but they are more powerful! Think... run a ma' and pa' operation and help 500 customers every year.. or work to build a franchise and help over 5 million...? Can you imagine all the waste that would be properly diverted with 5 million people?

But that's getting into big corporate operations.. which seem to be discouraged with most organically biased people... I seriously wonder why?

But for tree.. I personally wouldn't suggest the franchise bit, I know she has mentioned it, but I just don't think it is her flavor. I don't know Phill though. .02

How about thousands of Ma 'n Pa operations helping over 5 million people? The larger you get the more waste you generate as opposed to reclaim.

The system Waste Management has setup require alot more fuel to recycle stuff. Sometimes hundreds of miles b4 it is even sorted. Once that is done it back tracks to local foundries and processing plants.[Just an exa.]

Bio-solids should be the ultimate 'Local' industry. Which makes me wonder why Milorganite is for sale on the East Coast? Things that make you go, hmmmmm.

Prolawnservice
09-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Bio solids usually contain whatever minerals are in excess in that area, so applying them in the same area only increases that excess. From what I can remember that is why milorganite is shipped to other places.

treegal1
09-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I dont think that a 620 + fe is going to add un needed nutrients, if used correctly
SALT INDEX
MATERIAL INDEX
Potassium Chloride 116
Ammonium Nitrate 109
Sodium Nitrate 100
Urea 75
Potassium Nitrate 74
Ammonium Sulfate 69
Calcium Nitrate 53
Sulfate of Potash 46
Methylene Urea 24
Urea Form 10
IBDU 5
Milorganite 2

Prolawnservice
09-01-2008, 10:22 AM
It made sense to me when I heard it, I believe It was taught in the NOFA accreditation class.

Prolawnservice
09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
ok, so we decided to just get a farm, 4 acres, and use that as a demonstration/ class. do the set up of all the equipment that one may need, have it there for sale or you can do the diy thing. as far as the rest of the help and Q/A that we have a demand for that will have to go through the pro door of the new site. the weed and feed and some of the other ideas we are working on are going to have to get sold separately. now the only thing to decide on is the cost for a 3 day class, all the finer points worms compost brewers, putting it all to work, see the field results, visit a 2200 acre sod farm, see a organic farm we tend to that is 40 acres, 1 year into the black $ wise, with my system!! and the whole nine yards. we will even help you build and run your first brew and brewer. how does this sound.

oh and fresh and salt fishing.LOLOL

You can put me down for that if you have it in early NOV. or any time in FEB. Dr. I's class I just got back from was $220 a day, and included food (three meals) and sleeping accommodations:sleeping:(camping in cabins). Fishing was an option, but they wanted you to buy a VA fishing license:dizzy:

treegal1
09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
you will want a hotel here, we have bugs the size of large birds, as a mater of fact the mosquito is the official bird of port myaca, also this class is going to cover a lot more about a very broad range of topics. it will be worth the all the bug bites. LOLOL. we are shooting for oct or nov for the first classes. and the web site should be finished soon, late as usual

cudaclan
09-01-2008, 11:58 AM
For marketing purpose is there any objection in using xxxTube to document portions of seminars, projects…

09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
tree,

are you guys putting on classes in dec/jan? i think most of us who would love to visit, would not be able to get time till then

are we talking a week long thing , couple days or less?

treegal1
09-01-2008, 01:04 PM
we are going to have a class in oct jan mar. so far thats it, after that we have not planed...........

putting the video on the u tube is a good idea, maybe we will, start today........... as far as the class is concerned, i dont know yet about a video, maybe some that attend are not into it.

at the very least we are going to start a new thread,,,,,,,,,,

pictures till your eyes bleed.

as far as how long the class is, maybe 3-4 days max, we are trying to work a deal with a hotel and some other amenitys, but stay as long as ya like, I want to fully arm any one who comes with all the info and tools needed!!!

09-01-2008, 01:23 PM
tree,

have you come up with a price yet for these seminars? if it's some thing i can handle save me a spot for jan. love to stay a week and soak up some sun, knowledge and comradery!

the compost side is the real key to me any way to make my biz SHINE with results and profit!
i picture myself knee high in worms some day,LOL well see?

DeepGreenLawn
09-01-2008, 02:04 PM
I had some friends who always went to the keys and camped out... I LOVE to camp... but I am getting to the point that I am more and more leaning to the camping in style... ie air beds, RVs, hotels...

I know... I always yelled at people doing that cause it was cheating... when your in college with no cares that is one thing... but now... with all the work I do... I like a good nights rest...

Maybe one of those 3 room tents... but only for me? :D