PDA

View Full Version : How often do you mow?

mattingly
01-09-2000, 06:27 PM
I am projecting the # of times that you will generally mow during the year. I live in Kentucky. I know there are a lot of factors involved that is why I want a rough estimate. About how many times in march, april, may, etc... In addition, how many lawns did some of you get when you started out on a full-time only basis. Not part-time then go full-time. And about what was your average price per lawn? These things will help some in running numbers for my business plan.<br>thanks

accuratelawn
01-09-2000, 07:19 PM
Mowing will depend on type and quality of lawn, fertilization, rain/irregation etc.<br>Roughly plan on mowing 28 to 34 times.<br>When I started I had 48 lawns and worked alone. I had a 42&quot; ZTR and 36&quot; walk behind.<br>Average lawn was $20-$25. Alot were low ball and undesirable lawns. I live north of you in SW Missouri, your mowing season might last alittle longer. Here lesser lawns are done at the end of October. Better lawns go another two to three weeks. Then the .... leaves come.

Barkleymut
01-10-2000, 05:39 AM
I generally mow some of my best lawns 30 to 32 times per year. This is in Richmond Virginia which probably has a very similar climate to yours. In March maybe 1 cut, then until the summer drought hits I mow every week. Just to let you know, when starting out some of your customers will only want the grass cut once every 2 weeks. These will most likely be the lawns you cut first when you start to grow but you have to take them at first. Anyways good luck.

HOMER
01-10-2000, 08:08 AM
Mattingly, I wish I had this much info when I started out, you need to consider yourself lucky! My residential schedule is based on 30 mowings a year, my commercial for the most part is the same unless they request more cuts. Usually I give an extra cut in June, July, and August. I set a monthly price based on the price per cut, ex: 30 mowings x $35.00 per mowing = $1050.00 per year div. x 12 months =$87.50 per month. This way I get paid the same amount year round no matter if I go 3 times in July or once in January. Some of the older customers I have had trouble communicating this to, or else they are old school and don't see the need. Where I live there is usually (especially if the yard has trees) something to do every month of the year. This is my 30 cut breakdown: JANUARY (1) FEBRUARY (1) MARCH THRU OCTOBER (3) NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER (2). March is dependant on the weather, sometimes it warms up quickly and the grass and weeds start growing quickly, other years it is still cold. I set everybody up like this and they get cut whether it need it or not, if I don't show up they want to know why they are paying for a service they are'nt getting.It may sound like a low price but when you get it in the off season you will appreciate it and you have to make it affordable to the customer. If you can sell it to 40 people at that price your looking at $42,000.00 a year off residential. Not all of mine are that low, but those are the lawns I can blitz through in 25 to 30 minutes. If it will take you longer than that you want to bring your monthly price up to $100.00 or more depending on the length of time and the services they require. Also that is a basic plan that does not include shrub work, offer an enhanced package that will include shrub work x # of times per year. Figure your cost seperately for the shrub work then add it back to the total annual cost and divide by 12 to get your new monthly quote. A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step(or something like that) anyway if you start out this way you will immediately begin creating annual income and you won't have to convert your first customers later on like I did. Some never will convert but you will find that a lot will call you and request a yearly package. It takes time but starting out properly will keep you fed and clothed longer than doing everything on a per cut basis.<p>HOMER<br>* homers comments and suggestions are bsed soley on homers experience and homer will and cannot afford to be held responsible for any mistakes that might occur along the road to your greatly succesful business endeavors!

larz
04-26-2004, 01:39 PM
How many in TEXAS? Anybody?