PDA

View Full Version : any $ on new c series?

P.Services
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
has any one got prices on the new c series cat ctl's?

my dealer told me he just sold a 289c/steel undercarrige high flow, cab ac/heat, hydro coupler for around 70k

he also said the steel uc is only around 500 more then the mtl uc. i was suprised.

dozerman21
08-26-2008, 08:56 PM
They should offer the CTL's at a lower price than an equivalent MTL. Since they are not using someone else's U/C, or at least ASV's, I don't see why they wouldn't be cheaper, even with more steel. If they stay in the same ball park as other OEM CTL's, they should be a descent seller. If they jack them up to dozer prices, more than what some MTL's sell for, forget it.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 08:59 PM
They should offer the CTL's at a lower price than an equivalent MTL. Since they are not using someone else's U/C, or at least ASV's, I don't see why they wouldn't be cheaper, even with more steel. If they stay in the same ball park as other OEM CTL's, they should be a descent seller. If they jack them up to dozer prices, more than what some MTL's sell for, forget it.

i agree, he said they cant keep any on the lot, as soon as they get one its sold.
i sat in one and ran around the lot real quick and must say thoughts of trading in the deere for a down payment on a ctl and a 305 are dancing in my head.

stuvecorp
08-26-2008, 09:01 PM

my dealer told me he just sold a 289c/steel undercarrige high flow, cab ac/heat, hydro coupler for around 70k

he also said the steel uc is only around 500 more then the mtl uc. i was suprised.

I still can't believe someone would pay that much (doesn't matter on brand) for a skid/track loader.

Sorry, it just boggles me. I'll be quiet now.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:04 PM
i agree it is alot, but how much $ will you make over the course of 2,000 hours of work with it?

dozerman21
08-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't even consider paying $70k for a CTL, especially if it wasn't even the largest size available. I know they can be had for less, but if that salesman was telling the truth, I think he's laughing all the way to the bank. Insane IMO. Prices of CTL's have become out of site. Skids too for that matter.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
yeah but what are you going to do? i know i cant build one.

Bleed Green
08-26-2008, 09:21 PM
dont say that you are thinking about trading the deere in for a cat too loud or bobcat ron will be right in saying i told you so

stuvecorp
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
If guys wouldn't spend that much do you think the price could be more reasonable? Alot of it depends on your situation, like how many hours you will put on per year, what type of work you do. For me a $17,500 skid is doing everything I need it to do, I really wanted a new machine(440s3 with the bells and whistles) but if I would have spent on a new machine that would have tied money up so no excavator or hydroseeder for me.

Everyone has a different way of doing stuff, just have to run the numbers honestly sometimes.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
yeah i agree but i also think the compitition among brands keeps things in check (some what). if you dont NEED a ctl or mtl then your waisting money but i know i have done a few jobs that nothing but a ctl could have done. i cleared a lot in a swamp because no one else could do it, i bid the job knowing that and needless to say i cleaned up on that one.

i thought long and hard about wheel vs tracks and have never looked back.

dozerman21
08-26-2008, 09:30 PM
yeah but what are you going to do? i know i cant build one.

If you can justify that cost (and let's just say $70K is true) then go for it. The bottom line is what matters most. If the work is there and will be for as far as you can see, then the machine(s) will pay for themselves. I couldn't justify that much, but I'm not you. If you're serious about taking on 2 new machines, that's probably about a $100K debt you're taking on at once, assuming your Deere is paid off. I'd be leary of that, IMHO. I do think that whatever the selling price on a Cat CTL is now, if you waited until wintertime or spring the price would go down. The new model smell usually comes with a matching pretty price... especially if it's in demand.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:31 PM
yes you are right or better yet wait for a 600hr machine at half the price. how bad do you want it is the question.

dozerman21
08-26-2008, 09:36 PM
yes you are right or better yet wait for a 600hr machine at half the price. how bad do you want it is the question.

Want vs. need wrestle around in my head all the time. Luckily for me, need gets the upper hand... at least most of the time.:usflag:

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Want vs. need wrestle around in my head all the time. Luckily for me, need gets the upper hand... at least most of the time.:usflag:

me to, i need a excavator and a chipper i want a new ctl and dump truck.

stuvecorp
08-26-2008, 09:41 PM
yeah i agree but i also think the compitition among brands keeps things in check (some what). if you dont NEED a ctl or mtl then your waisting money but i know i have done a few jobs that nothing but a ctl could have done. i cleared a lot in a swamp because no one else could do it, i bid the job knowing that and needless to say i cleaned up on that one.

i thought long and hard about wheel vs tracks and have never looked back.

It's tough, if I was completely honest with myself I probably wouldn't have bought half the stuff I have(have alot of stupid decisions sitting beside the shop). It is nice to have the low ground pressure with the track units. If you know you are going to get the work then the new ones are nice.

BrandonV
08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
but honestly guys 70$ (high as it is... I doubt that price will last) is exactly how many employees? think of the men that these units can replace. people think my little sk650s are expensive but each one of them is like having 3-5 men extra on the job.... on time and happy to work.

Bleed Green
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
picasso you could wait till next year and see what Deere comes out with unless you really like the Cat machines and want to grab one of them up. It should be about time for Deere to update their CTL line. By the time the Deere machines come out they will have had that extra time to perfect their product and then let it hit the market.

qps
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
but honestly guys 70$ (high as it is... I doubt that price will last) is exactly how many employees? think of the men that these units can replace. people think my little sk650s are expensive but each one of them is like having 3-5 men extra on the job.... on time and happy to work.

70K...hope he put alittle lube on it first...I paid way....way....less than that for my 297C...only no hi-flow....

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
yeah im not dead set on a new skid, the next thing is going to be a mini excavator. im going to run the cat 305 and the 50d side by side. i know im not going to pay more for a deere over a cat if he wont come off that price.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:48 PM
70K...hope he put alittle lube on it first...I paid way....way....less than that for my 297C...only no hi-flow....

give us a clue... less then or greater then 60k?

bobcat_ron
08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
You might as well jump on a deal, now and I mean now, the interest rates will go up and that will drive everything up in price, my Dad does a lot of wheeling and dealing in stocks and other BS and he's already warned me to buy something big now or I'm sca-roo-ed in a few months.
And if you did the numbers, owning a $70,000 CTL is only like $40.00 a day that it costs you when it's not running, that's not much.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 09:56 PM
not to mention cat is hiking prices for steel in october.

bobcat_ron
08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Do it! Do it!

The trend is that everything goes up in price in the middle of September, oil and gas come down, but steel and rubber go up, and the interest rates get hiked back up when the real estate market starts to cool down, trust me, I know this sh*t, my Dad is preaching this stuff to me and my brother, if you are going to buy, BUY NOW. Or you'll be screwed paying more money in financing.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 10:03 PM
i would like to hear what a 279 ctl runs. maybe that would make me feel better.

how about you, are you going to step up to the plate?

Bleed Green
08-26-2008, 10:07 PM
you would want to go radial lift even though you have vertical lift now. would that make you have to make any changes in your work style? radial vs vertical linkage

bobcat_ron
08-26-2008, 10:08 PM
i would like to hear what a 279 ctl runs. maybe that would make me feel better.

how about you, are you going to step up to the plate?

No, not a skid steer, that's part of the reason I was a the local Case dealer the other week, but I like to keep everyone in suspense as to my next equipment purchase(s).

But if Cat made the small frame CTL debut in October, I'll be at the plate.

stuvecorp
Do it! Do it!

The trend is that everything goes up in price in the middle of September, oil and gas come down, but steel and rubber go up, and the interest rates get hiked back up when the real estate market starts to cool down, trust me, I know this sh*t, my Dad is preaching this stuff to me and my brother, if you are going to buy, BUY NOW. Or you'll be screwed paying more money in financing.

I can't find anyone to give(loan) me money for my quad at a reasonable rate, at the terms they want me to take it is almost like they want me to fail. And it is impossible to try to sell off the current fleet for liquid money.

ccstrebe

I had my dealer quote me the 297 and the 299 and the 299 was exactly $3,000.00 less than the 297.

He forgot to include the hi-flo and the hydro coupler but was fully loaded besides those two things and it was $63,000.00. The hi-flo and the hydro coupler added another $3,000.00.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
i would feel good to get one in the mid 50's. i dont know how crazy i am for thinking that though.

Bleed Green
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
is that the plan for cat to bring out the small frame CTL's in october?

bobcat_ron
08-26-2008, 10:11 PM
is that the plan for cat to bring out the small frame CTL's in october?

Maybe, maybe, but more than likely it'll be next year.

ccstrebe
08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
i would feel good to get one in the mid 50's. i dont know how crazy i am for thinking that though.

They are too new and moving too fast to get a deal like that. Don't forget Cat is offering 3yr 0% financing right now. That's what I went with. They are also giving me a couple thousand in Cat dollars that I can redeem at the parts counter.

P.Services
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM
if i can get a 299 for 60 ish (if its true) i would think a 279 would be mid 50's

iron peddler
08-26-2008, 10:57 PM
if i can get a 299 for 60 ish (if its true) i would think a 279 would be mid 50's

those are fairly accurate estimates.....you all seem to forget that it comes with 2 speed std.(fastest current ctl) air ride seat, and the all to famous semi pressurized cab!!!!!:cool2:

ccstrebe
08-26-2008, 11:05 PM

The 299 fully loaded was quoted (in writing) to me at $66,000.00. That was $12,000.00 off of MSRP. Tax not included of course.

I didn't get any pricing on the 277/279 so I don't know the difference between them and the bigger machines.

I got an idea though. Go to the Cat site and price your machine out and if my dealer can knock off 12 grand from the MSRP yours should be able to also.

Bleed Green
08-26-2008, 11:09 PM
hey ccstrebe are you ticked that you didnt wait and get a CTL instead of the multi-terrain loader?

ccstrebe
08-26-2008, 11:19 PM
hey ccstrebe are you ticked that you didnt wait and get a CTL instead of the multi-terrain loader?

No, not at all. I considered the Cat CTL and got a quote but I already own a CTL and I'm tired of them. They are too rigid for my needs. I need the full suspension.

ccstrebe
08-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I got an idea though. Go to the Cat site and price your machine out and if my dealer can knock off 12 grand from the MSRP yours should be able to also.

I just went to the Cat site and they have not updated the ability to price out the CTL'S yet.

I did price out the 277 though, and a fully loaded 277 MSRP is $74,000.00.

Deduct 3 grand for the soild under carriage and the same 12 grand off that my dealer gave me you are looking at $59,000.00. I suspect that is going to be the best you can do unless you start taking off major options.

Digdeep
08-27-2008, 12:34 AM
those are fairly accurate estimates.....you all seem to forget that it comes with 2 speed std.(fastest current ctl) air ride seat, and the all to famous semi pressurized cab!!!!!:cool2:

It's only the fastest depending on what definition someone uses for CTL. ASV calls their machines CTLs(compact track loaders) on their website and they have 3 machines faster than any rubber tracked machine- PT60 11.5mph, PT80 12mph, PT100 11.5mph. i think CAT's machines go about 9.3mph- still plenty fast.

ksss
08-27-2008, 12:56 AM
70K for a CTL? You better have a solid stream of work. That is a crazy amount of money. Especially when you don't know how these machines are going to run yet or how they will depreciate. If they are like the MTL you are throwing money away.