PDA

View Full Version : What are you Using

Drew Gemma
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Surflan here with glyphospate in beds mulch areas driveways and such More and more we are getting calls for vegatation control what works other than soil sterilants

greendoctor
08-27-2008, 02:02 AM
I often need to maintain areas as bare ground that are adjoining desirable turf and vegetation. Surflan is an excellent choice if the primary weed pressure is grassy weeds. Goal(oxyfluorofen) will not only kill existing broadleaves at 1 gallon/acre, but it will also stop the same weeds from emerging from seed. A mix I use in nursery noncrop areas is 10 lb Karmex DF, 6 qt Surflan and 1 gallon Goal 2XL. Nothing grows for months, yet it does not run downhill, sideways or into the root zone of established trees. I would not dream of spraying Hyvar, Velpar, Oust or Sahara DF here. The nursery owner told me how 20 lb of Princep caused every plant downstream of it to either become variegated or dead. Other options that I like are Gallery, Barricade or even Ronstar Flo. None of those will hurt trees and shrubs or even a nearby lawn.