PDA

View Full Version : Scag 36

JConner
08-26-2008, 11:43 PM
i just seen a 1994 belt drive scag 36for sale i called the guy and he said 600.00$ i was thinking of offering him a little less like 400 he said it has been out there at the end of the street for 2 weeks. The machine has no hour meter. the deck is in great shape as well as the reast of it. one owner and never cmmercialy used. It is a commercial mower.
thank you if anyone has any feedback
justin

Alpha Property
08-27-2008, 12:16 AM
i have one and love it, with sharp blades it will single cut like no tomaro and i find it small and light enough to not kill you for being a belt drive

JConner
08-27-2008, 06:18 PM
ok thanks it looked nice i didnt drive it at all i am going to see if he will let me test drive it

THRIFTY
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me, look it over again with a fine tooth comb before you make an offer. Look again for cracks in the deck, check the oil, and run the machine! Are planning on putting it on a trailor and pulling it with your Scion XB?

JConner
08-29-2008, 09:31 PM
yes im thinking about it i have to have the hitch put on first it says it can tow up to 2000 lbs but i really dont want to tear up the only family car. i planned on meeting the guy and checking it over and running it and even mowing with it thanks for your help

stevenf
08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
How much do brand new ones go for?

Green Finger
08-29-2008, 10:09 PM
If it's commercial it's been used for commercial. But take him that$400.00 after you check it out and buy it.

Go for it. Step and look good. You'll feel good too.

mattxb
09-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I have the same set up already that you are considering.

I use my 2005 Scion xB as my pull vehicle.

I have:

6x8 Trailer with custom built Trimmer and Blower Racks

2008 Scag SW 36" Mower with Kawi V-twin and Velke x2

Stihl FS85 Trimmer with Edgit attachment

Homelite Back Pack Blower.

I get about 25-28 MPG when pulling but Im not as easy on the gas pedal as I should be.

I have had no issues with pulling this load so far with the SCION.

Here's a Couple of Tips for you-

You will need an electronic box to operate the trailer lights. They're pricey at about $35 if I remember correctly. There is no way the stock electrical system can be hacked to get a trailer plug to work so this is a must have.

Always pull with the Overdrive button in the OFF position, except when going downhill.

Its probably a good idea to turn the VSC (vehicle stability control) system off while towing as well. I had a warning light come on the other day telling me the VSC was not operating correctly. I had to reset my computer to make it go away, since then I always turn the VSC off while pulling. No problems since.

All in All, this set up is a fantastic economical set up for making money. I spend much less on equipment and running cost than most which allows me to price lower and still have a very high productivity rate for small residential lots. Its a great little set up and I love it. I plan on running this set up solo for at least 2-3 more years in order to dissolve my credit card debts and home equity line from where I was in college. After that, I may still do it just because its FUN!