PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo's?

davis45
08-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Lets not start a big argument on this post please! I have tattoo's on my back and legs, all covered with Jeans and T-Shirt. I was looking to get one on my forearm, how would this effect meeting with a possible Client? I have not thought of this as a huge issue but I was looking for some input. Does anyone out there have visable tat's while wearing your work gear?

South Florida Lawns
08-26-2008, 11:54 PM
I am curious with this too. I don't have any yet but I think I want to get started on a sleeve. But too I wonder if that may send out a message of unprofessionalism? Maybe not but whats every bodies view on this topic?

LBLC_LCO
08-26-2008, 11:55 PM
I have a half sleeve tat on my right arm with tattoos on both of my forearms and always wear sleeveless under armour. I've never had any issues with this, atleast not that I'm aware of. My attitude is always polite and professional, I think that is what should matter.

davis45
08-27-2008, 12:01 AM
I have worn shorts on the job a couple years back and customers didnt mind the one on my leg. Current customers acutally asked to see it closer. I don't see a huge issue. I have wanted to start on one arm sleeve but I think i'm going to test out my forearm tat first and see how that goes over.

laxative
08-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Dude, I'm the only LCO in my area with teeth. Your tattoos should be fine.

davis45
08-27-2008, 12:06 AM

hahaha, best comment I have read in awhile.

Chris B.
08-27-2008, 12:13 AM

LMAO, wow thats classic!

csl
08-27-2008, 12:25 AM
i have a tattoo of my sons foot print on my right forearm. looks cool and i get a lot of compliments from customers. the tips to tattoos are keeping them clean looking. no T & A.

davis45
08-27-2008, 12:32 AM
My tattoo's have meaning, Im not looking to get skulls or flames or anything. I was looking to get "Faith" on one arm and "Hope" on the other. I'm not too concerned if anybody on these forums like it because alot probably wont. It's something I want and has meaning to me. I was just curious on the 'professional' point of view on things.

evergreenedmond
08-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with your attitude when you meet with the customer. If you are meeting with somebody that you think might have a problem just wear a long sleeve shirt. I have a tattoo around my wrist & have never experienced any problems.

TCS Landscaping
08-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I have a tattoo on my neck. Doesn't seem to phase people.

Teeth - lol

GreenAcresLC
08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm sure it depends on the person. Example: My mother in law absolutely HATES tattoos. I mean, she practically equates them to the devil, she's crazy. My wife recently got a small, golfball sized tat on her lower leg. It was a tat of the flower that was named after her deceased father "hugs from george" (her cousins breed daylilies, they named it after him). Her mother came unglued: "I thought we raised you better than that Katie!" You would've thought that she was jailed for murder the way that women acted.

Your average person probably won't care, especially if its just "Faith and Hope", not like your tattooing nudity or something on your arms.

dbsoccer
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm old so I have a jaded opinion. I don't know why anyone would want to abuse their body with something like a tatoo. I personally feel most of the NBA players these days look like a bunch of street thugs.

But my dad had a tatoo he got, probably after being out partying all night, when he was in WW-II. Tatoos have been around for a long time.

I personally don't associate tatoos with professionalism or people of high education. But times have changed. People in my business don't where a suit and tie and have a neck tatoo.

It depends on the image you're trying to convey and the cliental you're trying to attrack. If you drive up with a muddy broken down truck, go to the door with dirty blue jeans, shaggy facial hair and dirty wife beater tee shirt it sends a completely different message than someone who is dressed in clean jeans and clean polo with a company logo who clean shaven. If the quotes are close I know who I'd hire.

mattb7771
02-27-2011, 09:46 PM
i personaly dont think that i would want a customer that would judge me because i have a tattoo but at the same time i do cover them for estimates especialy for bigger jobs

RLS24
02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
My school of thought has always been just get them where they could easily be covered up or out of the "first impression" line of sight. Places like your back, shoulders, upper arms are ok cuz most of the time you have a t-shirt (at least) on and no one would never know they are there. The forearms I'd stay away from cuz its harder to cover up if need be. When I get mine here in the next few weeks, its going on the back of my lower leg. Even though I do wear shorts when I'm working or not working in the summer, I don't really think the back of my lower leg is a focal point for most people (or at least I hope not).

Exact Rototilling
02-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Tattoos on males:
I would NOT hire a helper with any visible Tattoos, or a smoker for that matter or excessively overweight. For an interview I would request them to show up to it wearing shorts and T shirt. Because I wear shorts and T Shirt in hot weather.

If I was an old fart of 85 and I was going to hire someone...Tattoos would be a resistance factor to me. Pure an simple. In this biz you need as much going for you as possible. For my business I want to project a fit, athletic professional image. Tattoos just don't cut it.

---

Tattoos on females:

A female helper with visible tattoos? Um...don't think I can request them to show up to an interview with shorts and T shirt...maybe I can? Was actually considering hiring a female helper.

---

Ok ...if my wife ran off with a rich boyfriend and left my son and I to ourselves... would I date a girl with a ankle tattoo or lower back tattoo...? Maybe. Other subtle ones ...maybe? But I'd wonder why? A smoker of tobacco absolutely NOT ...huge turn off.

tradeyouraccounts
02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't think it would be a problem as who knows whats under peoples shirts and its not as if your going to be going shirt less. Just say mention to any employees you may have and are thinking of getting tatts "No shoes, No shirts, No employment"

AI Inc
03-01-2011, 06:29 AM
i have a tattoo of my sons foot print on my right forearm. looks cool and i get a lot of compliments from customers. the tips to tattoos are keeping them clean looking. no T & A.

Yep , I have a bad girl,( topless with a handgun) on my left shoulderblade. Keep a shirt on when the customer is home.

GreenI.A.
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Mine are all easily covered by pants and a short sleve. I do have a military one on my leg that people usually ask alot about, its a memorial to a buddy so it's not quite the same as having skulls or flames, people always respond positively to it. But from a distance they might have a different opinion when they can't see the purpose of it. If my sleve rides up you can see the bottom of the tattoo on my bicept, people usually ask to seee the rest of it and ask what the latin writing says. I think most people are curious about them and if they don't ask they want to. Showing a little bit of it is completely different than being shirtless showing tem all off.

If I had tattooed covered employees i would be fine with it aslong as they apear to make an attempt to cover it, and if it is easily shown then I would be fine aslong as it isn't something that could be considered offensive. There is a big difference between a memorial or a cross compared to swatikaz or n ude women on his neck

HenryB
03-01-2011, 01:58 PM
I have no issue with ink but ask yourself why? We all know most people associate it with white trash/thug /prison guy etc. I really don't but most do. My perspective is different I've got a pretty rough background so I try to exude the opposte that I'm safe and not going to hurt you.
Plus it's become a upper middleclass white suburb badge around here. All the Frat and college boys have em. There are better ways to prove something to yourself or others. First thing they do when you get locked up is photogragh all your ink that says something. I'd rather blend in more stealth.
Plus the baddest/toughest MOFO's I know have no ink.

RHR101
03-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I have tattoos and so do most of my employees. It has never been an issue. If a tattoo is offensive in some way, then I could see it as being a problem. Otherwise, I say do what you want. People can always find something they don't like about you, from the way you wear your hat to the kind of car you drive.

If you think your always going to be self-conscious of it, you might want to give it some more thought. If not, do what you want. Could it cost you a customer? Maybe, but if you do good work and convey that you know what your doing, I really can't see it being a problem.

Let us know what you decide.

ELS LLC
03-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I have five tats all can be covered up with a short sleeve shirt. My buddy has devils on his elbows and eyeballs on the back of his calves. Also tats on forearms and back. Let's not forget about the spider webs! On top of this he shaves his head bald and is 5foot five and weighs 250. Just picture him. Oh, he is white but thinks he is Mexican. Needless to say his business has trouble getting new accounts. Duh! Just cover them up and look professional. We wear company shirts so as long as they are mostly covered then it's ok.

rob7233
03-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Perception is your, or your potential customer's reality. Right or wrong.
So you would want to risk a negative perception with a potential client? Do people always say what's on their mind? Most definitely NOT.

Yeah, I want to check out your tattoo especially if you used poor judgment in it's selection or placement. I've seen plenty that scream - "I'm really not too bright."
Then I have to ask myself, "WTF were they thinking?"

Sorry, I've just haven't seen one that made anyone more attractive or desirable than they already were. Not to mention the potential health risks.
No thanks, I can express or motivate myself without them.

Agape
03-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep , I have a bad girl,( topless with a handgun) on my left shoulderblade. Keep a shirt on when the customer is home.

It really depends on what image you are trying to portray and what customer base you are going after. most of my customers don't want someone in their back yard who looks like they've just made parole. I've seen other companies at the dump and at the bark yard whose employees have made their t-shirts sleeveless to better show off tatoos. personally if It was my crew, they would all purchase new shirts at a markup, and they'd be fired the next time I saw it.
I'm sure, however, that the company is a budget company, so it doesn't matter too much to their customers that a bunch of thugs are hanging out in their back yard while they're not home, cause they are $5 a week less.

I surely would not remove my shirt or allow my guy(s) to do so. someone on the block is home if not the HO.
If you are a budget, under bid to get the job company it doesn't matter, but if you are selling quality and professionalism, you shouldn't show tat's IMO.

Agape
03-02-2011, 12:06 PM
also a big difference between say, a USMC tattoo and a spread eagle naked chick tattoo.

Agape
03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I have tattoos and so do most of my employees. It has never been an issue. If a tattoo is offensive in some way, then I could see it as being a problem. Otherwise, I say do what you want. People can always find something they don't like about you, from the way you wear your hat to the kind of car you drive.

If you think your always going to be self-conscious of it, you might want to give it some more thought. If not, do what you want. Could it cost you a customer? Maybe, but if you do good work and convey that you know what your doing, I really can't see it being a problem.

Let us know what you decide.

People are less likely to not hire you because you showed up in a FORD, than with a tattoo across your throat

bohiaa
03-15-2011, 02:30 AM
I think the rock band TOOL said it the best.............

**** YOUR TATTOO

ProMaintenance
03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Both myself and my part time guy have a significant amount of visible tattoos. I work in an area that is fairly acceptable of piercings, tattoos and all that stuff. It is not uncommon to see professionals here with stretched ears, or tattoos or died hair. That being said I found that once we started wearing full uniforms of dickies pants and work shirts I saw my accounts double in two of our target areas from customers walking up to talk to us.

Even though our tattoos are just as visible as they were before the uniforms the evidence seems to show that we are more approachable now. I think that tattoos are small part of your over all image and image and perception are, or at least should be a big part of your marketing plan. I feel now that even though I live in an area that is fairly tattoo friendly I have to work harder to look professional because of them.

GreenI.A.
03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Both myself and my part time guy have a significant amount of visible tattoos. I work in an area that is fairly acceptable of piercings, tattoos and all that stuff. It is not uncommon to see professionals here with stretched ears, or tattoos or died hair. That being said I found that once we started wearing full uniforms of dickies pants and work shirts I saw my accounts double in two of our target areas from customers walking up to talk to us.

Even though our tattoos are just as visible as they were before the uniforms the evidence seems to show that we are more approachable now. I think that tattoos are small part of your over all image and image and perception are, or at least should be a big part of your marketing plan. I feel now that even though I live in an area that is fairly tattoo friendly I have to work harder to look professional because of them.

Your right on.

The neighbor walking up to you sees your uniform long before he can see tour tattoos. His initial thought of you is that you are professional, once he gets closer and sees the tats he might change his opinion alittle bit but your knowledge and selling skills should fix that. The oposite guy covered in tats and wearing a ripped tank top or no shirt at all doesn't pertray the professionalism from a distance, maybe some potential customers will walk up to him, but more will not simply because of his appearence.

Stillwater
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Lets not start a big argument on this post please! I have tattoo's on my back and legs, all covered with Jeans and T-Shirt. I was looking to get one on my forearm, how would this effect meeting with a possible Client? I have not thought of this as a huge issue but I was looking for some input. Does anyone out there have visable tat's while wearing your work gear?

commonsense plays hear, do you personally feel in your heart what you have planed for your forearm could be offensive to the people you will be doing business with? you asking this question could possibly mean you might be wondering, that is your answer. tats themselves do not offend people it is the content of the tats that offend that is where the commonsense comes in. In other words your tats advertise without words your content of character.

Lefet
03-15-2011, 01:49 PM
"Content of character"..... quality of message without quantity of words.

tradeyouraccounts
03-16-2011, 02:38 AM
Who's got visible piercings to add to the tattoo mix? Im a blank canvas with zero piercings, pretty boring I guess....

CashMaintenance
03-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I have tattoos on my side but they are always covered. I could never bring myself to work w/o a shirt on a clients property. I would think that is a much bigger turn off then tattoos would be. You also have to understand that the person hiring you has to trust you to be around their house and in their backyard when no one is home. I have keys and garage codes to many of my clients garages, homes to let dogs out or even use the bathroom. My customers trust me that much and I think that is a result of my professionalism. I will say when I first started I had a mohawk and piercings in my eyebrows which came out about a month after I started in this business. Got tired of the negative stigma associated with it and decided I liked more jobs and more money then my piercings. Personal decision and definitely depends on the customer but tattoos are becoming more and more popular and as long as its not offensive or on your face/neck I wouldnt expect too much of a problem

Me&MyMower
03-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with your attitude when you meet with the customer. If you are meeting with somebody that you think might have a problem just wear a long sleeve shirt. I have a tattoo around my wrist & have never experienced any problems.

idk bout any of you but i wear long sleeve shirt especially if im spreading pine needles. i have tats on tops of both my hands, side of my neck, right forearm, and right tricep, and i have my bottom lip pierced but i remove them when im working or meeting a potential client. most the time i get compliments on my ink work or "who did your ink?" I think these days people are getting used to "ink" everybody has a tat , from the innocent looking librarian at your kids school with the tramp stamp to the ww2 vet living next to you with a pin up girl riding a bomb on his arm. If the customer is going to take into account a tat and not your quality of work then they arent worth it

tradeyouraccounts
03-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Has anyone had their tattoos removed with the laser process? A friend of my is regretting a tat that he had done 20 years ago and its beginning to fade a well and is thinking to use laser removal, i wonder if the scar maybe worse than the tat.

Me&MyMower
03-20-2011, 12:09 PM
the laser removal from what ive heard is more painful and expensive than getting the tat done

GreenI.A.
03-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I had one removed, well actually partially removed. My first tattoo I designed and had done at a tattoo party when I was 16. Diddn't come out anything like how I designed it. It looked horrible the letters were all messed up, it was a clover with a celtic cross saying "Celtic Pride" but both "C"s looked like "G"s so it looked like GELTIG PRIDE. After 4 treatments it was light enough that I was able to get a new tattoo of what I originally wanted done right by a skilled artist.

The treatments cost me something like $120 a piece and, if I wanted it completely removed it probably would have taken 8 treatments or so, so about $950 give or take to remove a $200 tat. as far as hurting it was a million times worse than the tat. I have a pretty high tolarence for pain and watched all of my work being done, for me the fealing of getting a tat is more like haveing pins and needles than pain, but the removal feels more like a burning than anything else, then after it just feels like a bruise

nepatsfan
03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a few tattos myself. They are all covered with a t-shirt. I would not think less of someone with an arm sleeve but I think that it looks unprofessional. More importantly I think that potential customers would think it was unprofessional and that is what I would be worried about. Are you willing to take the chance of losing work because of your arm sleeve? I wouldn't be. I try to be dressed neatly. Short hair and professional. I think a clean cut company image is important.

Lawn Pawn
03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Locally... tats are quite common. Big difference between quality ink and something that makes you look like a page from a comic book though. So that is one one qualifier. Other qualifier is how you present yourself otherwise. Clean cut with matching shoes and not reeking of BO is a plus.

It is America and we are free to, for the most part dress as we choose. If you choose to go for the badass look, some people may choose to think that's what you are.

Right or wrong.. it seems that ratty tats require you to prove yourself before you inspire trust from people. Clean cut with a few quality tats... not a problem.

StihlMechanic
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Tats are pretty common around here with people my age. Its a college town. It is judged here, I am in the bible belt. For that matter I don't have any.

The Lone Mower
03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Who's got visible piercings to add to the tattoo mix? Im a blank canvas with zero piercings, pretty boring I guess....

I've got my ear pierced 7 times. But, I have no ink on me... I used to have a pony tail down to the middle of my back too.

I have no problems with tattoos or anyone that has ink on them. Unfortunatley there still are many people who consider them "taboo" or "biker" related etc.

I always felt you should get to know the person, not the image- then form an opinion. To many people do the opposite though, especially on first impressions.

TMlawncare
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
We brought a new guy on and I didn't know he had a whole sleeve (both arms) of tattoos. He was working in place of a sick employee in one of our nicer areas. Homeowner was outside getting her mail when we pulled up and started talking to me. She caught one glance at the new guy and you could tell she measured him up and down. It was obvious. Her tone to me even changed during the conversation. Lady has been with me for over 10 years. Very uncomfortable situation. To this day when hiring I have to take it into consideration. No way around it.

KrayzKajun
01-25-2012, 09:23 AM
If the customer is going to take into account a tat and not your quality of work then they arent worth it

My thoughts exactly. I get lots of compliments on my tats from customers(even ones very professional fields, doctors,lawyers). I plan to finish the sleeve on my left arm. All the tats are & will military themed in Tribute to buddies I lost in combat & everyone who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. If someone passes judgement on me just based off of some tats , I don't want them as a customer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanksman
01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi, I am completely sleeved on both arms, tats on my legs as well. I do not regret them and, I have been tormented by bosses in my life because of them. They are not "prison tats" They have been done at various studios. I understand people dont like them. I do and my family does but since I have started my own business, I try to make a great first impression and ease my customers in with them. I do feel it can hurt business thats why they dont see them right away. Do i agree with this? NO! I dont feel anyone should have to be shuned for this. In time this will not happen, tattoos are more tolerated by people now and in years to come it will be the norm. I have old people sometimes look at them and say they wish they could get them. I feel people will judge no matter what. If its not your tats its your clothes or your vehicle or your mower or your dog..etc .etc. we are a judgmental society. So with that being said go get inked up!!!!!!!:cool2:

HenryB
01-25-2012, 09:53 AM
The issue I see is that customers and people don't really tell you what they think. They often say it's great to you but think it's bad and often don't hire you (I know you don't care) but just saying. If your under 30, in a frat, and have some money to burn it seems to be the thing. A buddy of mine fights in MMA and always says bet on the guy with less ink he wins always, the ones with no ink really scare him. :laugh:

Thanksman
01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
The issue I see is that customers and people don't really tell you what they think. They often say it's great to you but think it's bad and often don't hire you (I know you don't care) but just saying. If your under 30, in a frat, and have some money to burn it seems to be the thing. A buddy of mine fights in MMA and always says bet on the guy with less ink he wins always, the ones with no ink really scare him. :laugh: probly right Im loaded wid ink and im far from a tough guy:)

stickleylawncare
01-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Well since the post was bumped up, I read the thread and thought how funny this was.. and in a lot of ways and Im sure in most places, pretty close to the truth.

ralph02813
01-25-2012, 02:10 PM

I almost couldn't type - that is perfect!!!