PDA

View Full Version : steering dampener?

mike lane lawn care
08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
hey guys, so with this new job, i am doing a lot of highway driving with my truck. now i know that 2500HD was never intended to be a highway cruiser and i shouldn't expect the handling of a lotus. But it seems as though the steering could be a bit more firm at higher speeds, don't get me wrong, it's fine and has great handling, but i would like a bit more resistance for my personal comfort. it has been aligned twice this month and has brand new highway tires, and still isn't quite perfect. i noticed that my truck has a steering dampener on one of the steering components, which surprised me as i thought IFS couldn't have a dampener. the truck is 3 years old, and has 42k on it, could the steering dampener be needing replacement? if my understanding of them is correct, they work just like a regular shock absorber, and are prone to wear. let me know what you guys think. i am doing a 4 hour trip to Plattsburgh, NY on sunday, and am currently in kingston, NY, about 2 hours from home, so i'd like to get this taken care of.

thanks guys

coolluv
08-27-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not a mechanic so take my advice with a grain of salt. But a steering dampener or shock absorber type device prevents the steering wheel from moving suddenly from side to side after you hit a bump or while you are riding on rough terrain. My Jeep wrangler is bad about having to replace it every 20 thousand miles or so.

You can tell that it is going bad when you hit a bump and the steering wheel will start to shake and then stop. Sometimes when it gets really worn, when you hit a bump it won't stop shaking. It can be very dangerous. Anyway after I get a new one installed the steering wheel always feels tighter and more responsive. So yes I think it will help. But, it may not help much. They are not that expensive to replace. So what the he!! try it.

Dave...

Gravel Rat
08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
If your experiencing death wobble your damper is gone.

Now if your experiencing wandering that will go away once the tires break in if your running stock size put the air pressure to what it says on the door post.

I'am really surprised the truck would have a steering damper usually they are only for straight axle trucks. If you truely do have a damper then replace it because its probably baffed out.

It doesn't sound like you have a very good wheel alignment shop. If the truck isn't stock I wouldn't expect a perfect alignment.

mike lane lawn care
08-28-2008, 01:47 PM
If your experiencing death wobble your damper is gone.

Now if your experiencing wandering that will go away once the tires break in if your running stock size put the air pressure to what it says on the door post.

I'am really surprised the truck would have a steering damper usually they are only for straight axle trucks. If you truely do have a damper then replace it because its probably baffed out.

It doesn't sound like you have a very good wheel alignment shop. If the truck isn't stock I wouldn't expect a perfect alignment.

i looked at it closer and it is a full on steering dampener, apparently only came on the HD series trucks when 2500HD and non HD was an option. there is no wobble, but wander. the truck is bone stock, except for torsion bars slightly cranked, like 1.5 turns. I'll try and reset it and then take it in for an alignment again. the last time i took it in, the shop owner had the guys do it twice to be sure, and he said it was within spec, but if i wanted it perfect there was a kit that was made for it. i'll try the t bars and then re align, i got the lifetime alignment, so i'll never have to pay again, and it's a chain shop, so maybe i'll try another location.

Gravel Rat
08-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Chevy IFS is very sensitive to suspension changes if the bars are turned up it will really affect the alignment.