PDA

View Full Version : price help topsoil, grading job?

Frenchie
08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm back again. The guys here are great. You all give so much info. I have to thank everyone for helping me. My business is growing and it is nice to know I can throw ideas out and people help out.

I looked at a job for a 6000 sq ft yard. It needs 3" of topsoil. The customer wants what is currently there york raked and then when the soil is dropped he wants the yard graded a little different for rain flow than it is now. I am not concerned with the work. I have all the equip. I have the know how...
As usual, I have difficulty knowing what to charge. I live in Connecticut. I was always told if you are running a tractor you shouuld charge 80-100.00 an hour to cover labor, eqipment gas etc... Is that a true ball park figure.
Then, How do I determine hours it will take???
Ya, know I have always done the work but I am not real good keeping track of time...I know..not too smart.
Any help is appreciated!
Franchie

punt66
08-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Dont price by the hour. Price the job. Usually the way i figure a job like that is too

1. figure out what equipment will be used and charge what a rental would cost,tractor with bucket and rake?
2. Figure my time to do the job. 1 day 2 days?
3. What material will be used and up charge on the material.

That method has always worked for me to give estimates. Dont tell them per hour because they will get annoyed if your on break etc.