PDA

View Full Version : Starting an aeration business

dbsoccer
08-27-2008, 03:46 PM
I have often considered doing this to supplement my income. I am old enough that I can't follow a conventional Ryan-type aerator around all day but figured I may be able to hire some young strong lads to do the heavy lifting. Or I figured something like a LA28 or a Plugr may be less brutal on the body.

Any comments, thoughts? Can a person make enough to get a return on his time and investment even if it may not be enough to live on year around?

Also, regarding buying such equipment - is there a way to pay less than MSRP from the manufacture for such equipment? (New not used).

Thanks.

THRIFTY
08-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Can you make enough to get the return on your investment + some decent money in the bank: Yes!

Can you make enough to live off of doing soley aeration: MOST LIKELY not.

On a side note, aeration can be a super profitable service if estimated correctly!

dbsoccer
09-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks Thrifty.

Any ideas or suggestions on where the best (aka cheapest) place or method of buying a new aerator? I see the stuff on E-bay but it is pretty hard to ship and adds a lot the cost of an already suspect purchase.

mow2nd
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
We aerate all year. Of course Fall and Spring are our biggest money makers, but we still aerate at least 20 yds per day. We use the Classen-TA25. It's work no doubt about it. You can just aerate and do pretty well. We offer seed, fertilizers, lime and weed controls. Aeration gets us in the door, after that we do our best to put customers on a program for regular treatments.

So to answer your question

YES

dbsoccer
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks mow2nd. Any suggestions on the best place to buy new equipment? Anything used is mostly trashed. Ebay, unless it is right in my area, is expensive to ship.

Dunn's
09-08-2008, 11:23 AM
a plugr equipment dealer.

Ther is no way to get deals on equipment unless buying more then one.

If it was that easy to get equipment cheaper everyone would have their own.

mow2nd
09-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Most of my aerator are used. You can find some really good deals on craigslist or in the paper after the aeration season. In our area most guys stop aerating by December or sooner. They will then sell their aerator really cheap. I bought a Classen TA 25 Last year for $1500. It was just a good as when he bought it. The paint was still on the tines. He was having problems with his business, so we got lucky there. Then 2 months later I walked into Lesco and they were selling a rent split drive aerator, same as the Classen, only green for $1500. All I had to do was replace the tines and change the oil. Both machines were in great condition. The deals are out there, you just have to look around, especially in the off season.