PDA

View Full Version : man...

Lamonicaslawnservice
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM
This is a pretty long story but I had one neighborhood that I had 12 lawns in. Turns out they started to slow down payment and then not pay and then they would ask for a bill and when I gave it to them they wouldnt call or send out a check so I stopped service. I stopped service to the whole neighborhood cuse I didnt want to hear the angry ones everytime I was in there. A few days ago the one lady calls me and says I owe her $20. I said no I dont I have everything on record and there is no way I owe you money. I can only explain myself so much and so after a few phone calls I stopped picking up her calls. Today I get a nasty voicemail saying that she contacted better business burrow or however you spell it. So shes making me look bad for something that I didnt do. I am so pissed right now because their is nothing that I can do about this. I'm guessing? I never had a complaint once. Every lawn I do the customer loves the work so this just anoys me. Since she contacted them what happens to me now? Does anyone know? Do I have to shut down opperation? Thanks guys. Sorry about the long post

warren piece
08-28-2008, 11:26 AM
All you will need to do is respond to the BBB when they contact you. It probably will not effect your business at all.

richallseasons
08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
its not any big deal, she will submit a complaint and they will log it, then they will contact you for your side of the story and enter that information, if you offer a solution to them they will go back to the customer and try to resolve, if the customer refuses they will note that and close the case, it now will be on public record for three years and then be gone, but seriously why would a whole street of accounts go south on you?

Father&Daughter Lawn care
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Before you begin filing your complaint with BBB, please note:
BBB's goal is to successfully resolve complaints involving buyers and sellers in a fair and timely fashion. This includes complaints involving consumer-to-business and business-to-business transactions that involve the advertisement and/or sale of a product or service. Information concerning the nature and resolution of complaints filed with BBB is used in developing BBB Reliability ReportsTM on companies. BBB accepts complaints whether or not the business is a BBB Accredited Business.

BBB generally does not handle complaints which are more effectively handled by other government or private agencies or the legal system, such as complaints involving employment practices, discrimination, or matters in litigation. Click here for more detailed BBB Complaint Acceptance Guidelines.

BBB strongly encourages consumers to first attempt to resolve complaints directly with the company, however BBB will not reject a complaint if a consumer has not taken this step. All complaints are processed by local BBBs, most often the BBB where the company is located. Historically, over 70% of complaints filed through BBB are resolved. In some cases, BBB mediation or arbitration may be offered to assist in resolution.

Your complaint will be forwarded to the company within two business days. The company will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the company's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 calendar days.

BBB reserves the right not to process complaints containing abusive or foul language.

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

Lamonicaslawnservice
08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
well I was happy to first start picking them up but then some of them started to be late on payment then didn't pay at all so I decided it was time to stop doing all their lawns because if I stopped 3 then they all talked to eachother and would complain. I have enough accounts now that are all good payers. It was getting old.

FDuce
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
What would have been the complaint...I didn't pay for my lawn service and now my lawn's not being cut?? If you would have kept maintaining the remaining lawns on time there would be no reason for the good ones to complain. But, your business, do what you want. If it doesn't affect your cash flow and gets rid of a PITA then I guess why not.

wbw
08-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Three customers didn't pay you on time and you quit servicing their neighbors? Is this for real? Man, I hope you have better neighbors than me if you are going to be held responsible for what they do. Seriously, is this for real?

B_gerrits
08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
well I was happy to first start picking them up but then some of them started to be late on payment then didn't pay at all so I decided it was time to stop doing all their lawns because if I stopped 3 then they all talked to eachother and would complain. I have enough accounts now that are all good payers. It was getting old.

I kinda don't get it all 12 started paying late or just 3? I sure wouldn't cut off service to custs in good standing because of 3 deadbeats. I personally wouldn't care if the deadbeats were angry. I think I would tell the deadbeats if they want their lawn done pay up all past accounts and then pay on time or I will have to recieve payment in advance if they cant seem to make payment on time. If the other 9 accounts were in good standing IMO you should have told them you were no longer able to service that area and give them time to replace you if you didn't want to service them.

coolluv
08-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Three customers didn't pay you on time and you quit servicing their neighbors? Is this for real? Man, I hope you have better neighbors than me if you are going to be held responsible for what they do. Seriously, is this for real?

I guess I'm not the only one wondering what the He!! Nothing in this post makes sense to me. I will have to come back later when I have a few in me and see if it makes sense then. Anyone have a doobie?:drinkup:

Dave...

Raven386
08-28-2008, 05:56 PM
looks like someone else is getting 12 new accounts! what are you going to do if another 5 customers cancel on you or stop paying... now your going to be wishing you didnt drop the good ones. That was not a wise decision IMO... oh well....not my business your making a bad name for.

Grits
08-28-2008, 07:01 PM
How the hell did you owe her $20?

lawnwizards
08-28-2008, 08:04 PM
How the hell did you owe her $20?

another question is why in the hell are you a member of BBB? what a waste.

punt66
08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Hes not a member. If he was he would know he doesnt have to shut down his operation from a complaint. That statement alone tells me he is young and doesnt understand the ins and outs of his business. To drop a neighborhood because of a slow payer isnt a good business model. I have a few customers who are up to 3 months behind and i never cut them off. They have been customers since i started and have always paid and caught up. Its usually around christmas time when i get the big check.

razor1
08-28-2008, 08:54 PM
A few days ago the one lady calls me and says I owe her $20.

Did she ever prepay?

Lamonicaslawnservice
08-28-2008, 11:09 PM
ok. I'm guessing I didn't explain this to well. sorry to get you guys excited. everyone of these neighbors talk to eachother at the club house and hang out so when they heard I was stopping service to some of their friends they started giving me trouble. I wanted to get out of that town anyway and just worry about lawns in my area. since then I picked up 10 more solid accounts. I have 49 accounts that I take care of by myself. I have another job so this is on the side legit business. plus its my second year so I don't think I made a bad move. the guy that gets those 12 accounts will give them up to cause their all old pita's that have nothing better to do then find stuff to complain about. but this got off topic. I started this thread to see how the bbb works and what's going to happen? haha sorry for another long post just had to explain everything so people are on my side not against me

Lamonicaslawnservice
08-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm not a member of the bbb haha. I just thought as a legit business with insurance and license's they would know who I am. I'm 19 so i guess I'm young. I mean I'm sorry I like to get paid? I don't wait 3 months for a check. that's how you lose money. but I understand that's you

Lamonicaslawnservice
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
oh and I'm sorry. I don't do pre pays because it gets my calender off when its time to collect money.

lawnman_scott
08-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Hes not a member. If he was he would know he doesnt have to shut down his operation from a complaint. That statement alone tells me he is young and doesnt understand the ins and outs of his business. To drop a neighborhood because of a slow payer isnt a good business model. I have a few customers who are up to 3 months behind and i never cut them off. They have been customers since i started and have always paid and caught up. Its usually around christmas time when i get the big check.So that is a good business model? Letting people get 3 months behind and waiting till christmas to get paid?

bare spot
08-29-2008, 03:31 AM
sent all twelve packing, interesting. don't get the $20, something happen?

punt66
08-29-2008, 08:41 AM
So that is a good business model? Letting people get 3 months behind and waiting till christmas to get paid?

sure is. They have been customers for years and i know they will pay. Anytime they want extra service i remind them they are behind and they catch up. I dont live paycheck to paycheck. I use quick books so the balance doesnt get lost in amauter paperwork. I would certainly be more careful with new accounts though. But i wont drop my top clients because they are slow payers. Yes they always catch up by christmas with an extra $75 tip for the year.

razor1
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Lamonica, I thought you might appreciate this old LS post since you're in Myrtle Beach.

Being a Landscaper in Myrtle Beach SC. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=192202

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, with bluntness, it stinks.

Let me describe the area to you: (1) Homes are booming and new developments are popping up all over the place. (2) Beautiful area to live in. (3) Busy in the summer, small town feel in the winter. Sounds like a perfect area to start up a landscape company....yes?

Well, the answer is flat out NO. EVEN if you are in HOME contruction....NO, unless you are the BIG man running the entire developments; who is ususally the one that gets all the money. There are basically OWNERS of this town. It reminds me of the OLD WEST....they EACH own 20 different business (want insurance, go to Bob...need an attorny...Bob is one too....want to buy land, hey BOB is the guy because he is also a realtor!...get my point?), and you eventually get paid from them.

The price for labor here is DIRT cheap. Many want to blame the mexicans...I can see their anger, but, I also think a lot has to do with themselves also undercutting each other. And from what I have seen, I can't blame their Hatred towards the Mexicans. I really can't.

Here is an example:

We met a site manager, contractor who has landscape jobs for one of Bob's companies. Ok...he comes to us with a job. Being rather a new friend, he provides us what other landscape companies are willing to get paid for this job: 10 large trees, 2 huge new beds (buildt up and all with top soil, mulch), Sod, etc. Brand new landscaping. The other landscaper's cost? The higest was $4,000. When asked what we would do it for, we laughed....because $4,000 covers ONLY THE SUPPLIES AND EQUIPMENT! We told him roughly $10,000.

How can one just do a job, that pays for only SUPPLIES AND COSTS?

Then he asked us, if we would do a paver walkway that is 3 feet wide and 20 feet long. As 'friends,' IF THEY SUPPLIED material, would submitted the LOWEST price in OUR history......$750.00. We were told, others were willing to do the job, TOP.....$450....they also had a bid for $200.00.

After a long talk, we decided that the landscaping industry in this area stinks. So, later that week, over some beers we asked another contractor if he knew of anyone who wanted to buy our dump truck. Practically brand new, and we are sacrificing it for $10,500 (it is paid for, and we just want it off our hands now).

He called a few contractors and a local deli hangout....gets off teh phone and tells us, bad time.....there are at least 8 guys whose homes are being repossed by the banks! What?, we cried? This is ridiculous!

The stories jsut keep getting better and better. I've got right now, at least 100 of them in my pocket.

But, let's me give you an idea of living expenses here: A good 1200 sq foot home cost, in a good area to raise kids, is about $215,000 to $250,000. A condo can cost up to $500,000.

Every where one goes, a new tax bill arises. For instance, with all my vehicles combined, I have to pay $444.00 a year on them (1 car, 1 scooter & one dump truck - can't get your registration tags w/out paying). With a brand new 2007, my neighbor had to pay $500.00 on that one alone. Tax is at 9.5% here. And everything one esbalishes here, you must pay a "DEPOSIT" & they are not cheap.

The prices and cost for supplies are jsut the same anywhere else in the U.S....nothing has fluctuated in THAT! Go to a Home depot, you are paying the same. Buy a new truck, you are paying the same....a home, it cost more. Taxes cost more. Go to a nursey, they cost the same.

BUT, go and do work, and they expect contractors (landscapers or contruction workers), to work for UNDER the cost of supplies, labor, etc.

Not only that, but NON-U.S. CITIZENS are able to open companies here, and totally underbid, doing work that is jsut not feasible to living wages. They work for 4 months, and go home for 8, because the U.S. dollar let's them do that.

Now, I speak the TRUTH! And the joke is, I now understand why SOUTHERN LANDSCAPERS defend the PINE mulch....because it does look like CRAP! But, MONEY wise, it is the cheapest so they can put $1.00 in their pockets. But, at least I AM HONEST on why they use it....they lie about it.

I do not know if I am angry at this time, or disgusted. In truth, when I talk to contractors ( when the come in at lunch), they are REALLY, REALLY hurting big TIME! They got families and homes, bills, etc.

AND IF YOU THINK I AM LYING....then simply show up in the area and talk to some of them. IF YOU AGREE to these low prices, them kudos to you....but, in REALITY....when one starts hearing of foreclosures, it is NOT a good thing.

And what happens with the foreclosures? Ppl from out of state or some of the big ones here buy them, and sell them for double the money.

In closing....I was thinking that UNION was a bad thing. But now, I rather wish unions were in the South....one thing about them, was at least they kept the market up.

My advise....if any one of you come to Myrtle Beach and think of moving here, DO NOT! Stay where you are, if you have a good business. TAKE my words as a great testimony! Enjoy your vacation, and then GO HOME!

To those who are here.....I truely feel for all of you. And, I am going to write a letter to the newspapers, complaining. Call me an activist, but something has to be done with the market here. What is happening in this area is ridiculous, and ethically wrong! I am going to do research, get figures, etc. I hope that my article will be published by the newspapers here, but it may be rejected do to WHO OWNS THE DAMN THING! It is the first step I believe.

To those who are blind, and prefer those cheap rates....I can't stand you! You do not just hurt yourselves, stupidly, but you are hurting families across the area; emotionally and breaking men's souls who love this work! There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU CAN SAY TO DEFEND YOURSELF! You got to be the lowest speciman on earth!"

OB

Big Lebowski
08-31-2008, 02:40 AM
BBB is a joke. Don't give them too much credit. They try to get businesses to "buy in" and become a member. The benefits? None.

To show how much this organization is worth. Tell me the last time you checked with them first before you did business with another company.

Anybody? And I'm not talking about that fluke story about contacting the BBB about a business that sent you a letter etc. because they looked fishy or whatever. I'm talking about a legitimate business where you met a real person in fact it was the actual owner.

The other thing - it was your decision to make good or bad. If it was a bad decision, you'll learn by it. If it was a good one, who will really know.

Quick story. I'm still building accounts. Got a new account. I explain pricing, she agrees. Her lawn is overgrown, lost her last guy. I go right away and get it cut down. I go back on her new route day. She's upset I'm back so soon and says she can't afford every week. Long story short I say sorry and good luck. After a week of thinking about it, I decide that I need the money no matter what so I stop by to save it and she already has a new person. So the point of the story? Whatever your position on bi-weekly I regretted dumping this account but the decision was mine and who gives a shat what these other guys think about you dropping these people. It was your accounts! And when they start writing your paycheck, then pay attention but in the mean time - dump them all if you want. Their yours do what you want!

mngrassguy
08-31-2008, 03:55 AM
I could be wrong but I think complaints to the BBB are only public record if you are a member. If someone calls them for a reference about you, all they can say is you are not a member.

If you want, you can reply to the BBB telling them your side of the story and you will refund the $20.00 in good faith. If you don't send the $20.00 what are they going to do, send another complaint to the BBB? Good luck.

Big Lebowski
08-31-2008, 06:35 AM
Actually they offer any remark good or bad to anybody that is interested and asks. Go ahead and do a search for your state on their website. See if you see anything. I found one (ONE!) company for all of New York, when I typed in lawn care, only because they belong - not that they had a complaint, mind you. If you sign up and pay them a stupid fee each year they will give you a sticker to put on your ?... mower?... blower?...

Anyway, what they basically do is mark that the complainer was satisfied with the result or that you replied. It is much more like Ebay feedback than anything (well before they took away the seller part). And like everybody else, I look for a pattern and not at one incident - and that was only because it was right there. Do you ask to see feedback if you buy from somebody on craigslist? How about if you buy from Amazon.com? See where I'm going? It only matters if want it to. I can assure that if people still cared about the BBB - then I'd be offering some different advice.

There is a lot of reading if you google BBB is a scam or BBB is a joke.

Big Lebowski
08-31-2008, 06:53 AM
After trying a little harder I was able to figure out how to search and found more than one company. I couldn't see their complaint info or whether they resolved it or not.

I would have changed that in my post but I guess you can't edit after 10 minutes. I am unhappy about it this policy and have reported it to the BBB. So you'll get yours lawnsite!

punt66
08-31-2008, 08:58 AM
I had my house painted last month. I recieved 3 estimates. The contractor i chose i looked up on the BBB and he had unresolved complaints. I questioned him on it and he said there are always people you cant please. That may be true but it should have been resolved. If i had an issue will he not resolve it. I didnt hire him because of it and chose another contractor. Under further inspection of the guys contract in fine pring it states customers are responsible for paint and supplies! It was a shady company. Any tools a consumer can use to choose a contractor is fine with me. If we as contractors dont do a good job or finish our work then you deserve a public track record to warn others.

lawnwizards
08-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I had my house painted last month. I recieved 3 estimates. The contractor i chose i looked up on the BBB and he had unresolved complaints. I questioned him on it and he said there are always people you cant please. That may be true but it should have been resolved. If i had an issue will he not resolve it. I didnt hire him because of it and chose another contractor. Under further inspection of the guys contract in fine pring it states customers are responsible for paint and supplies! It was a shady company. Any tools a consumer can use to choose a contractor is fine with me. If we as contractors dont do a good job or finish our work then you deserve a public track record to warn others.

in the end you are responsible for the paint and supplies anyway. you dont expect the painter to eat those costs, do you?

punt66
08-31-2008, 10:20 AM
in the end you are responsible for the paint and supplies anyway. you dont expect the painter to eat those costs, do you?

hahah ok so you give an estimate for mowing. $40 per cut. Down on the bottom in fine print it says, customer responsible for gas, blades and string used on job. Dont you think a painter would include costs of materials in an estimate. I think he knows how much paint it takse to paint a house if he is worth a damn. So you would be willing to sign an OPEN contract not knowing the costs of materials? His angle is to hope people dont see the fine print and tack on the extra $600 or so in material ontop of the estimate people are
expecting. Thats ok with you?

ALC-GregH
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Actually, I have a friend that paints for a living. When he gives a estimate, he doesn't include the cost of paint, he only give a estimate on how much they will need and the price to do the job. The reason behind this is that if he orders the paint and the customer doesn't like it, he'll have to eat the cost of the paint that he can't use now AND have to buy more paint. So, he lets the customer know how much paint they need, they order it or go buy it, he paints with it. His estimate does include the other materials such as rollers, brushes, pans and other stuff that goes along with the job. He never gets burned from buying/supplying the paint anymore. Same goes for wallpaper jobs. They're even worse then paint. He's heard it all too as to why they don't like the pattern or the color so he changed the way he does things and hasn't had any complaints yet.

Big Lebowski
08-31-2008, 01:46 PM
My first job was with a friends professional painter dad. First day on the job I was up the tallest ladder I have ever seen painting a peak and working my way down. I spent all day doing this. At the end of the day, the husband comes home and says the paint was the wrong color. That didn't go well.

As far the BBB and unresolved complaints. Do you suppose that the complaints were unresolved because he disagreed with them? Would you give $20 back to a customer even if they didn't have it coming just so the BBB could mark it resolved?

How many good sellers have you bought from on Ebay has negative feedback? All of them? Most likely. You really can't please everyone. That whole "I'm going to report you to the BBB" only matters to the person saying it, the BBB and anybody that even cares enough to think of checking. That same week, I bet you had somebody else painting your whatever, and I bet that guy was working for somebody else. You felt warm and fuzzy about not hiring him and he forgot who you were and that you even called. My point? It might have worked out for you but this guy didn't need you either. I would bet my life that those folks that "reported him" because what the BBB does or says means sooo much, didn't even check with them first before hiring him.

Angie's list.com takes it a whole step further by bullying companies into becoming members and paying their extortion fees. Brilliant really since the everyday consumer has no idea what the site is really about. If you ever get on that site, you'll see what I mean. I've never been myself.

lawnwizards
08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Actually, I have a friend that paints for a living. When he gives a estimate, he doesn't include the cost of paint, he only give a estimate on how much they will need and the price to do the job. The reason behind this is that if he orders the paint and the customer doesn't like it, he'll have to eat the cost of the paint that he can't use now AND have to buy more paint. So, he lets the customer know how much paint they need, they order it or go buy it, he paints with it. His estimate does include the other materials such as rollers, brushes, pans and other stuff that goes along with the job. He never gets burned from buying/supplying the paint anymore. Same goes for wallpaper jobs. They're even worse then paint. He's heard it all too as to why they don't like the pattern or the color so he changed the way he does things and hasn't had any complaints yet.

to punt66. what he said /\. my father inlaw paints and he does just as ALC-gregs friend does. once paint is mixed, its non returnable. the painter is not gonna eat that cost.

punt66
08-31-2008, 06:05 PM
to punt66. what he said /\. my father inlaw paints and he does just as ALC-gregs friend does. once paint is mixed, its non returnable. the painter is not gonna eat that cost.

why would he eat it? Its up to the home owner to choose the color. That should be in the contract. If i didnt like the color i chose and half the house is painted i certainly wouldnt expect to change it without extra charges. But who would sign an open contract? For all i know the company could be me 4X's the cost of the paint.

Lamonicaslawnservice
09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
punt. you have something negative to say about everything. Unless you have some good advice then dont answer. your advice doesnt help

punt66
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
punt. you have something negative to say about everything. Unless you have some good advice then dont answer. your advice doesnt help

and this does. ^

punt66
09-02-2008, 05:13 PM

i always try not to be negative unlike most bashing kids on here. So after reading your comment i reread my post and dont see anything negative. I only stated my experiences. So who is the one making negative comments? Typical lawnsite BS