PDA

View Full Version : If you had 8k to start out with,

husk1295
08-28-2008, 02:11 PM
If you had 8k to start out with, how would you invest it into your company ex, mowers, trimers, tralior. Residantal propertys are the target here but open to commercial. Thanks for the help guys, you are always top notch.

PS please specify Brands

Thanks mike

Grits
08-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I would put half of it in the bank and get what you can (including some advertising) with the other half.
Buy decent used equipment and trailer. Brands don't really matter, most commercial equipment is good. Advertise with cheap methods such as doorhangers. You will have to walk a lot to put them on doors, but you will save a lot of money and should see a pretty good return. Think lean and mean. Used 36 to 48 inch belt walk behind with sulky. Used homeowner grade push mower. Used trimmer, edger, and blower. Don't forget the small stuff. Some tools, trimmer line, edger blades, gas cans, etc. You should easily be able to start-up this way with 4 grand. And you will have a little money in the bank for backup just in case things are little slow.

stevenf
08-28-2008, 04:35 PM
I started with a 5x10ft brand new trailer. a used trimmer, and a used blower. Last year I bought a new blower and trimmer so my old ones are backup. I started with the mower in my signiture. I soon found out that smaller lawns are way more profitable for me and I am going to upgrade to a 36" WB to fit in thoughs dang gates that fatigue me so much!

Alpha Property
08-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Do you already have a truck? i just sold my 5x10 trailer for $800, grab a used belt walkbehind for $500-$1000, used commercial toro 3spd 21" mower $300-$600, Stihl runs specials all the time on their new FS38 string trimmers ($149.99) and BG55 hand held blowers (199.99). Remeber to budjet for expences during months that you won't be cutting, dead of summer and all winter, $1000 average per year for insurance, i run a work cell phone as the main number at $60/month.

milkie62
08-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Seeing is you have not started,I assume you already have some sort of job.Keep you present job and try and do some cutting maybe directly after work a couple of days a week and on Saturday mornings until you get established.
If you already have a truck you can get a 44" used Toro walkbehind for around $2k.Buy a Home Depot 21" Toro and the trimmer and handblower of your choice for $149 each.Or use what you are using on your own lawn right now.But you will need a 36"-48" walkbehind if you are planning on making any time after work.That is how I started.Now I am up to a 61" Ferris($12k w/bagger),commercial Toro 21",Toro 44" walkbehind,12' dump trailer,14' landscape trailer,backpack and handblower(Husky).Used is OK to start with,it will save you alot of money.Just do not get carried away with spending all your money on startup.I advertise in my local shopper and am really impressed with how it has worked for me.that costs me $72/mo.The biggest thing IS when you tell someone you will be there at a certain time---BE THERE...

mowerbrad
08-31-2008, 09:33 AM
You can get a trailer for fairly cheap at TSC, and that size should be able to handle what you need for now. You can get a 5x10 2000lbs GVWR trailer for $874.99. You should be able to buy a good backpack blower and trimmer for about $700 total. As far as a mower goes it will all depend on if you want belt drive or hydro. You could possibly get a 48" belt drive wb for around $4000. And spend a little money on a home depot 21", maybe $300 Spend a little money on newpaper ads, business cards and some magnetic signs for your truck. That should run you around $500. That all would put you at just over $6300 for everything. As for the rest of the money, put that in the bank incase you have any unexpected repairs that needs to be done. It would really be bad if you needed your new mower repaired but had no money for it. You can get bigger and better stuff later on down the road.

dura to the max
08-31-2008, 08:26 PM
put it in the bank and invest it where you can get some return...

dura to the max
08-31-2008, 08:27 PM
lol, jk. i pretty much agree w/ all the replies. i would get a 36" or 48" belt drive to start w/ depending on your size needs.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-31-2008, 09:26 PM
First dont wast your time and money on home depo and lowes items unless u want to fork out more money in a 1/2 year.
(been there done that already)
PS look for a used walkbehind I got lucky and won one off ebay like 1/3 of the price of a new one!!
I also have a guy wanting to sale me 2 walk behinds /Hydros $1000 each.
There out there.

milkie62
09-02-2008, 01:14 AM
If you have minimal startup funds and no business yet ,there is no problem starting out with the HD Toro mower.Unless you have some huge area to blow off,there is no need for the backpack blower to start off with.The $149.95 Echo or Husky will do just fine.I have both blowers and 90% of the time the hand held is quicker and easier.The name brand stuff is the same at HD as a dealer so get it from a dealer so you can start a repor with him.It is up to you what to get for a bigger walkbehind.IMO I would just go out and get the Better 36".I have a 44" Toro and am finding it would be easier in cases with a 36".A small trailer would come in handy if you need to bag and get rid of the grass.Just keep it simple to start off with but get quality so it will hold up.

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
09-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I really agree with the " put half in the bank and sit on it for when your not working." LOOK ON CRAIGSLIST!!! When I started out I bought a used 36" bobcat beltdrive wb. I also bought a Stihl BR 320 backpack blower $60. I bought an 5x8 trailer off of a buddy of mine for $125, put new lights, axle and plywood in it for around an extra hundred and used my home mower, 21" Troybuilt, and my Troybuilt weedeater. So needless to say I lucked up but its also all about collecting equipment when you come across good deals. I have since bought another used BR 320 blower from a Stihl Dealer for $200 ( the previous owner was an old guy who never used it) a new ECHO PE 200 stick edger $199 and an ECHO SRM 210 $199, you can buy both at Home Depot and yes they are commercial grade. Go to Vista Prints for your business cards, the first 250 are FREE, you just pay shipping. They have a lot of free stuff that you just pay shipping on and they are all preformated, you just imput your companies info and pick one of the formats. Insurance varies greatly depending on where you live, I pay I think $300 per year for $1,000,000.00 liability here in NC through Erie Insurance. Like a couple of other guys said dont forget your hand tools, shovels, rakes, hand pruners, hedge clippers etc. You can also buy weed eater racks at Tractor Supply for like $50 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than many other ones I've seen out there. Good luck with it and DONT UNDERBID/Short change yourself, because just like the rest of us your time is availible. We've all done it in the past and especially when we started out whether many of us want to admit it or not. Again good luck and stay on this website, it really has a lot of good info on here.

2005 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
5x8 trailer
36" Bobcat WB
21" Troybuilt Push Mower
2 Stihl BR 320 Blowers
Echo Trimmer
Echo Stick Edger
POS Troybuilt Trimmer