PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts

pdenney11
08-28-2008, 03:48 PM
How do you guys go about getting commercial accounts? This is my first year and all I have is residential accounts. The residential accounts were good money for a while, but now im finding it slowing down a lot. Now I have to look for something to do in the winter to pay all my bills. I think if I could get a few good commercial accounts I would'nt have to find a job for a few months in the winter just to get by. I guess I just don't know how to go about getting the commercial accounts though. Should I just send out flyers to businesses at the beginning of next year? Does that ever work or should I just personally talk to business owners?

Raider
08-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I do about 90% commercial. I simply walk in and talk to people face to face and leave my card, talk to them, find out their needs. I will also follow up with a call back to them, thanking them for their time basically bs with them some more. I have actually gotten jobs right on the spot before. Be prepared though, commercial is not all it is cracked up to be. You will need more insurance, you wait for your money more than residentials so you better be able to plan your finances. Sometimes it will also require more equipment, but not always. Good Luck

bohiaa
08-28-2008, 05:28 PM
I do about 90% commercial. I simply walk in and talk to people face to face and leave my card, talk to them, find out their needs. I will also follow up with a call back to them, thanking them for their time basically bs with them some more. I have actually gotten jobs right on the spot before. Be prepared though, commercial is not all it is cracked up to be. You will need more insurance, you wait for your money more than residentials so you better be able to plan your finances. Sometimes it will also require more equipment, but not always. Good Luck

Great advice. I too just walk in and ask, depending on how large the Co. is I will ask for the person whos over this area.

Before you go for larger, accounts try to get a few smaller ones.
this way you will get a better feel for bidding, also some co's will want referances, such as who are you doing right now so we can drive by and look.

Best of luck

stevenf
08-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I will be looking into commercial accounts after winter for sure. Im not a cold calling/walk in person so I will get my mom and a friend of mine who is the sales type to go do it. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Big C
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I will be looking into commercial accounts after winter for sure. Im not a cold calling/walk in person so I will get my mom and a friend of mine who is the sales type to go do it. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Does this business belong to your mom and your friend or is it yours???? At some point you will have to talk to people on your own.

pdenney11
08-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will start driving around and looking for commercial properties I would like to get and just go in and talk with them and leave a card. What do you guys do for work in the winter?

stevenf
08-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Does this business belong to your mom and your friend or is it yours???? At some point you will have to talk to people on your own.

It is no doubt my business. If you hire an employee, is it there business? Ever heard of a sales represenative????
I have no problem talking to potential customers. However, my mom has been in sales her whole life, and my friend is an insurance agent who works on commission. Both of them are better public speakers and salemen then I am.

old oak lawn
08-28-2008, 11:33 PM
it is still your business,who better to talk to then the person that can price and do the work? if you do get to talk to someone. most business set up accounts at the start of a new year now you are way late for this year. i had to bid on most all the ones i have and low price wins. [ most of the time] but start looking and talking to people now [ you ] and if you don't know how its done now is the time to learn. you will need liability ins. workers comp. on yourself and some will want you to have com. auto.

stevenf
08-29-2008, 12:49 AM
I understand where you both are coming from. I can handle everything myself. I was just thinking it would be a good idea to have a saleperson catch the interest and then I come it to close the deal with all of the details.

CGlandscaping
08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
I think there should be a website where business can come on and put up a post they are looking for a contract. ive been in business for 3 years and havent had good luck with cold calls.. most of the time it makes you look like your hurting for work... ive seen that advertising and having the truck letter gets more work....

pdenney11
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
I think there should be a website where business can come on and put up a post they are looking for a contract. ive been in business for 3 years and havent had good luck with cold calls.. most of the time it makes you look like your hurting for work... ive seen that advertising and having the truck letter gets more work....

I like that idea. I just dont know how I would feel about bothering business owners just calling looking for work. It would be great if you could just search on a website of business' looking for lawn care and landscaping in your area. I do need to get the truck lettered though, anyone mind telling me what that cost for something that looks nice and not cheesy?