PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions or confirmation on design

427Aggie
08-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Ok I don't do this for a living and I after reading many many posts on here and altering my design a little I think I have the solution but want to make sure I'm on the right track..

I currently have on 3+acres a 150x50 pond thats over 20 years old..it leaks and is ugly..just hasn't been taken care of and with a new house going up I needed to move the very tip of it anyway...so

I searched out vendors in the local area and got quotes of anywhere from $120K to 200K to build a new pond..I about croaked...so in my spare time I am becoming a pond builder...

new pond is dug...125x65 and 8 1/2 - 9 foot deep...its going to be lined and I already have the liner for it..we are putting that in this weekend...

I knew I wanted a bog for the filter..This won't be a koi pond...bass and bluegill probably..thats whats in the existing pond.

Anyway...Looking at a Perfomance Pro AtersianPRO Low RPM AP1-130 pump for around 10,000 GPH. That would flow into a 23x17 bog with 4' Perforated pipe running up though riverrock and pea gravel.

In the main pond I plan on putting the intake for the pump on one end at the bottom of the pond with a fountain floating at the top to keep the water at the bottom from becoming dead...and on the other end I will use an aerator.

Question..Does my bog sound sufficient? Does the flow seem sufficient with the fountain and aerator in the pond? Have I missed anything?

For the bog I was planning on using 2 20' x 4" pipes with cleanouts for the water outlets...do I need more?

Your advice is appreciated guys

Thanks.

XStream Aquatics
08-28-2008, 10:00 PM
http://www.bogfiltration.com/ Check this out, you won't be sorry. Also check this site out. I use this company for almost everything. http://www.stoneycreekequip.com/

XStream Aquatics
08-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Are you rocking the edge of the pond? If so I'll tell you how to make a ballst for the rock and some tips on the edging for the liner.

427Aggie
08-28-2008, 10:32 PM
I have read the bog filtration site...It just doesn't seem practical to make a bog the size they suggest when the pond is by my calculation around 500,000 gallons.

I am not using moss rock around the whole pond..just in spots a as decoration...I am cutting back 1' deep by 3 feet and using mostly dirt to hold down the liner...not worried about dirt in the pond as this isn't KOI. I would like tips on the edging for the liner and ballast though.

I'm just wondering if the bog I have will be sufficient and on the pump do I need to get a bigger one than I have spec'd at 10K-11K GPH.

THanks for your help.

XStream Aquatics
08-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Of course the specs are for backyard ponds more than what you have. The main point was how to design the diffuser and cleanout chimney. The ballst is more for containing rock all around. Another point is how steep is the pond walls? If to steep and a deer or person falls in with only a steep incline after the ecosytem forms on the walls it is very hard to get out, not mentioning the deer could thrash around and tear a hole in your liner. I drew a pic ,hopefully this helps.

427Aggie
08-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I understand...the walls are fairly sheer in design but I can cut those back some..not much..luckily..no deer :)

I guess I'm really wondering if the bog will function well enough with the fountain and aerator to keep the water clean enough...right now the pond has no aeration so anything is better than what it has...man some of those pumps on the site you posted get way up there in amperage and flow...

XStream Aquatics
08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I would definetly use 6-8" doulbe wall pipe. When you talk about pump flow you know it's almost economically impossible to turn your water over once an hour on this pond, so I say the 10,000gph would do fine. You might need to go with the high rpm if you have alot of head. I'm using an Artesian A1/2 75 on the job I'm doing know. Pump is sitting at water level and yet by the time I figure all my head with ft. of hose friction 90 and 45's Im almost maxing it out. Make sure you figure your head correctly. Lee is the saleman I deal with thru perfomance pro and will talk with you anytime about your pump. If you need I have his number. Bottom aeration is great to use especially if you're deeper than 8ft. And yes be expecting to see an increase in your electric bill. Oh The bog does sound efficent to me.

427Aggie
08-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks xstream..PM me your guys number and I will find out what he says...The pump will be at water level but im trying to use it to pull the water from the bottom of the pond...well lets see what he tells me

XStream Aquatics
08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Use 3" on the suction side and discharge side. Take your length of hose and divide by 10 plus 1 ft for every 90 elbow and 1/2 ft for every 45 elbow and plus the height from water surface up to pump. this will give you your head. I'll pm you his number.