PDA

View Full Version : sandblasting slick concrete porch

rj6445
08-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi all
I have been lurking in the shadows looking at posts for some time now but have not seen an answer to my question which is-
When I had the concrete finished under my covered porch I had the finishers put a smooth finish on it. That was a big mistake. When it gets wet or when humidty is high is is very slippery. Can I sandblast the smooth finish to get a gritty or sandstone type finish on it. Do I need to use alum. oxide or another type media? I perfer not to use acid to try and roughen it.
Any help? Thanks
Ricky

DVS Hardscaper
08-28-2008, 11:30 PM
At this point, you should get some sort of decorative coating / texture applied to it.

The finish you have is called "burned", which is typically only for indoor use such as a basement or garage,

If you dont wanna do a nice coating, do a google search and check out EDCO's website. They make oddles of equipment for the concrete industry. You can probably find a rental center near you that could rent you a machine that could grind the surface.

Although, applying a decorative texture would be easier, thats what I'd recommend.

mhilton
08-28-2008, 11:40 PM
If you do not want a decorative coating use a good water based sealer and ad a antiskid additive (sharkgrip) Do not use a solvent base it will bring out to many concrete flaws in the burnt finish

rj6445
08-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for all the replys.
My wife has KO'd the idea of sealer and shark grip,so I guess I will forge on ahead with the sandblasting idea if I can figure out which media to use.
Thanks again
Ricky