PDA

View Full Version : Tracks to wheels!

wanabe
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Anyone ever go from a tracked skid back to a wheel machine? Well I tried today, and got my @ss kicked! After running a deere 322CT for 2 years, I can not operate a wheel machine. The bouncing was terrable, the traction sucked even more, and don't even think about grading! I always thought I could get by with a wheel machine but I just could not take the bouncing. And the wheels in a wet spot do nothing but pump mud and make ruts. Anyone else ever have the same problem? Maybe it was just too easy on a track machine?

KPS
08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
While we really only NEED a track machine once every 5 jobs, we use our MTL exclusively on every job. You can kind of take for granted where you can go or what you can do with a track loader but you remember really fast when you try and use a good old fashioned wheeled skid. While the tracks do wear out fast on both our track machines, its only a cost of operating a business and a job can shut down really fast if you can't move cause of a little rain and a muddy job site.

Gravel Rat
08-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I have watched the difference I haven't got to use a CTL or MTL but one of the contractors has the same size Cat machine as Ronalds its smooth as silk and you watch a wheeled machine its bouncing all over like a carnival ride.

I have run wheeled skid quite abit and I don't like running them.

bobcat_ron
08-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I ran a 763 this past winter for 5 hours and I nearly passed out from exhaustion when I got home, they totally suck donkey balls. Tracks rules, tires pop and bounce.

BIGBEN2004
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I still don't mind jumping on a wheeled machine. I like to plow snow in them better then in a tracked machine. If all I have to do is spread a load of stone then wheels are just fine. I will say that no wheeled machine will compete to a track machine but I still don't mind a wheeled machine. If you have to travel on paved surfaces all day then the wheeled machine will not only give you a smooth ride but will also not cost so much to replace. One thing to remember is never teach a newbe how to run a track machine before learning on a wheeled machine. It will spoil them and they will not be as good. Can you remember the days before MTL's and CTL's. We all learned on wheels before tracks.

bobcat_ron
08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Can you remember the days before MTL's and CTL's. We all learned on wheels before tracks.

I do remember those days, and I still wish Dad would have bought a Takeuchi TL126 back then.

wanabe
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I started on a 40xt, then a 260 deere, then a 773 bobcat, then a T 300 for a little, then a 322ct deere, so I have a little time on a couple wheel machines. I guess I was just expecting too much out of a wheel machine? I was widening my driveway, stripping about 8-10 inches of top soil and sod, and filing it back in with CA6 rock. One positive thing was that the rock packed down good with the wheels and all the ground pressure.

Bleed Green
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
what do you think of your deere ct 322 wanabe?

ConstSvcs
08-30-2008, 10:23 AM
what do you think of your deere ct 322 wanabe?

The CT 322 is a powerfull ground hugger :weightlifter:

Canon Landscaping
08-30-2008, 01:14 PM
we only use our wheeled machine to load trucks at our supply yard I would say our ct322 has made us 50% more productive and made it possible to do jobs we would never have been able to do with a wheeled skid

RockSet N' Grade
08-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I remember wheels. Bought a wheeled skid and converted it to tracks. I find every excuse in the book not to run a wheeled skid. Tracks and pilot controls make the world go round.

Stick Pro
08-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I started out on a 843 and a 743 bobcat when they came out with the 53 models i thought i was in heaven they have came a long way since then now i got the 287b there is a big difference i dont want to get beck on out tire machines unless i absolutely have to whitch there are many days like that