PDA

View Full Version : weeding out bad employees

spyder982
08-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Hello,

New to the site and have a few questions. Sorry if they've been asked, I've been searching but am in some what of a hurry for an answer.

Company History

started the company when i came to college with a
4.5hp push mower
a broken weed eater
3 yards.

I've worked up to the following setup.
2001 f250
7x16 enclosed trailer
810a john deere ztr
32" exmark walk behind
24" troy bilt push mower
echo 230 srm x 2
echo back pack blower x 2
stihl edger
73 rental properties
5 gas stations
1 restaurant
2 open lots

The problem i'm facing is i'm still growing. in the last 3 days i've received calls for 6 places. Between college and this and the extracurricular activities I'm quickly being overloaded. I've tried employing several people but am having extreme trouble finding anyone who can do any kind of work outside. I've hired mainly other college students and tried a few other older people but to no luck.

Where is the best place to look? How do i weed out people once i've got a few as who can do work and who can't.
Of the people i have hired i can't find people who don't mow trash or pay attention to a/c lines.

i'd greatly appreciate the help as i've got the opportunity to expand with a fertilizer company and through some other connections upwards of 200 new yards.

For reference I'm located in College Station, Tx

clcare2
08-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Get a book. Sometimes this takes a while.

Go to Taco Bell and watch. Hire the best guy in the place. Trust me, Somewhere there is a guy making 6 bucks an hour, that is working his butt off.
Cherry pick his azz and pay him what he is worth. He'll be the best thing that ever happened to you.

If he doesn't work, fire him and do it again. Until you find gthe guy you want employees are expendable.

otis
01-14-2009, 03:07 AM
perfect advice, I use the car wash!

RonAyersMotorsports
01-14-2009, 03:53 PM
That's the truth hard workers usually start out working for someone like a fast food chain or for someone who overworks them but underpays them. I was once one of those guys. Keep paying them what their worth and they'll stick with ya and look out for your business as if it were their own, I know I do.

StBalor
01-16-2009, 02:30 PM
If you have wormens comp you can hire people from detention centers that are on work release.
My brother in law does this all the time. He tells them if they do not work to his standards then they won't be getting out tomorrow.
He tells me they work hard cause they don't want to be locked up all day.
He is a bricklayer and 1 guy he got from there that when he got out is still with him. been with him a few years now.

Triplex
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
You might want to look for guys with experience doing some kind of manual labor - I think a lot of the people who do this for one day and quit are guys who have only worked retail and fast food jobs and can't handle manual labor. I've seen quite a few new hires on the golf course only last a couple of days.

The Elements Group
01-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Do what we do...... We contact a cpl of local trade schools near us (that offer horticulture and turf management or one of the other ) take resumes and go from there.. then we also ask the instrucors ?'s about the students.....
see, these graduates are ready to show what they know how to do and have knowledge pertaining to this industry ,, this eliminates ALOT of nuiances and headaches during training and also finding leaders in among the massses. hope this helps and also try ag colleges in the area but remeber that no matter who you have on staff, you always have to watch the productiona nd quality of every job even if this means coming behind them and inspecting. because, when it comes down to it, the companies name is always under, surviellance along with the reputation .. best of luck

dwlah
01-16-2009, 09:36 PM
I know this wont work for everybody but Ill call it personal referral
Best help Ive had to date was found is a friend of a friends son
Im going to brag on him now
Shows up ON TIME:)
does what I tell him:)
doesnt tear stuff up:)

Another note no more HS kids
Too many I need off for ____________ over the summer :hammerhead:

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
01-17-2009, 05:15 PM
PS don't ask on Craigslit!!!!!
I tried out over 15 that said they have EXP. LOL (before lunch They think it time for them to mow and you pick up the trimmer LOL):dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Captain_Morgan
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I use referals from people that I trust with the most success. Craigs list gets a lot of response but not much quality. I also like the idea of bottom feeding the fast food etc. I will try that this Spring.

shop manager
01-27-2009, 05:43 PM
wow... our employees have been here for a minimum of 10 yrs... some as high as 30.... we have problems keeping irrigation guys... they usually dont wanna get muddy...

the best employees that we have cant speak any english at all... the others just argue alot...... just a thought