PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back Into the Biz

Jimmy Dean
08-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Hello all. I'm getting back into the Lawn and Landscape business after 10 yrs out of it. Need some advice. I am going to buy my mower new. Just can't decide on which flavor. I used to own a Grasshopper front mount and had alot of success and made loads of money with it. That was before eXmark was around. Cant decide between the two and mid mount or front mount. I know I could save money buying used, BUT, it will pay for itself and if it's ever down my dealer has loaners - an upside to buying new! Really could use some advice on these mowers, or any others for that matter. Thanx.

dura to the max
08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
so are you a ford or chevy guy? this is really what this question comes down to. most commercial mowers are built to the same standard with many of the same parts. like the chevy/ford question, they're really about the same, they both have the same main features, with different bells and whistles. i personally run toro/exmark with great success, but jd, dc, snapper, and scag have performed great for me. i also noticed some pros in a grasshopper mower i saw from the road the other day (it was being operated). everyone is going to have an opinion, just like i call myself a chevy truck guy, i honestly wouldnt have an issue driving a dodge or ford. jmo...

dura to the max
08-28-2008, 11:29 PM
by the way, i bought my z used and the toro dealer still gives me a loaner when i take it in for service...

Jimmy Dean
08-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info Dura to the Max. Oh, I'm a Chevy Man...lol

Jimmy Dean
08-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Used to be a firefighter too!

dura to the max
08-28-2008, 11:38 PM
i love firefighting. im currently trying to get on with a large class 1 department here.

Jimmy Dean
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Good luck my friend. Maybe catch up with ya tomorrow. Past my bed time. Hey we finally got some rain up here in the mountains! It was a miracle!

KS_Grasscutter
08-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I keep going back and forth between 48" high dump Walker, and 223 Grasshopper. Won't be happy till I have both...

Jimmy Dean
08-29-2008, 12:00 AM
I've got to start workin' on all my marketing and have accounts signed and ready for spring. But not gonna start to early on it. People tend to lose info if they have it in their hands to long before they need it

stevenf
08-29-2008, 12:09 AM
so are you a ford or chevy guy? this is really what this question comes down to. most commercial mowers are built to the same standard with many of the same parts. like the chevy/ford question, they're really about the same, they both have the same main features, with different bells and whistles. i personally run toro/exmark with great success, but jd, dc, snapper, and scag have performed great for me. i also noticed some pros in a grasshopper mower i saw from the road the other day (it was being operated). everyone is going to have an opinion, just like i call myself a chevy truck guy, i honestly wouldnt have an issue driving a dodge or ford. jmo...

So its based on what looks the best? If I choose Ford, What mower do I need? :rolleyes:

dishboy
08-30-2008, 07:04 AM
A Walker of course. If you choose Chevy a Billy Goat.

Jimmy Dean
08-30-2008, 02:10 PM
How about those standup Wright mowers? I live in the mountains, alot of sloping yards. I've heard these are good machines for hilly terrain. Comments please.