PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Office

KirbysLawn
01-29-2002, 01:06 AM
Finally got a chance to get a photo of my mobile office. I have my laptop mounted with a <a href="http://www.gamberjohnson.com">Gamber Johnson Mount</a> which I got from PJ. I have Lawn Monkey installed and have a wireless LAN card installed. While out working I can invoice, schedule, or whatever, upon arrival at home I hit print and the invoices are sent inside and ready.

Just noticed Motorola has a new <a href="http://www.motorola.com/LMPS/iDEN/products/im1100/im1100.html">wireless modem</a> that requires no cell phone connection, awaiting more info on that little toy. ;)

fshrdan
01-29-2002, 01:52 AM
Very cool! Just curious, did you clean your truck up for the picture, or is it always that way???:D

HBFOXJr
01-29-2002, 08:29 AM
Do you have an onboard printer? Are you running off off laptop battery, truck battery or inverter tied to truck battery?

KirbysLawn
01-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Actually it was dirty when I took that photo, ran a few errands then washed it. I try to always keep it clean. I print when I get home via the wireless lan when I pull up at the end of the day. I have an inverter, you can see it at the base of the stand, it's blue with a surge protector attached.

GroundKprs
01-29-2002, 02:17 PM
Ray is just not a real lawn guy, fshrdan. You mean you have to fill a couple of 5 gal buckets to clean your dash off in Nov, so window defrosters will work? And during summer, you just have to bring out the buckets when you have to stick your head out the window to see where you're going?

And Ray, how long will it take me to lift that 'puter, after I break the window? You don't have to reply, gonna look at website. Neat!

brentsawyer
01-29-2002, 03:04 PM
What about a printer in the truck? They're available too.

KirbysLawn
01-31-2002, 09:42 PM
Jim, it has a locking try and I don't leave it in all the time, when I get home and send invoices in, I lock up, then remove the computer.

Contrary to most I'm not that stupid...http://unionturf.com/shinner.gif

ksland
03-09-2002, 10:11 PM
This Wireless LAN thing....how far is the range? And what do you do for estimates on the jobsite? You have the laptop already...why not spit out a professionaly printed estimate on the spot? I'm sure you have your reasons but it keeps me wondering :confused:

heygrassman
03-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Just set up a wireless network for my sister. Got about 200-250 ft before connect issues popped up but is was a wood framed house and a clear day.

Linksys... works well!!!

lawrence stone
03-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by GroundKprs
Ray is just not a real lawn guy

Well we finally agree on something Jim.

A REAL lawn guy drives a 10-year-old single cab eight-foot box pickup with greedy boards. This is the real lawn guys work truck. He rarely ever uses his work truck for personal usage.

The way the real lawn guy cleans his real work truck (purchased used real cheap from an old man who bought it new and only took it fishing) is to open both doors and use a hand blower to remove the garbage inside.

A truck is not a Lincoln Town Car. It's cheaper to buy a plain work truck and a used $2k town car with 40k loving maintained miles from a widow in SW Florida vs. some new fancy pick up with leather heated seats.

Premo Services
03-10-2002, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE]lawrence stone Well we finally agree on something Jim.
A REAL lawn guy drives a 10-year-old single cab eight-foot box pickup with greedy boards. This is the real lawn guys work truck. He rarely ever uses his work truck for personal usage.

The way the real lawn guy cleans his real work truck (purchased used real cheap from an old man who bought it new and only took it fishing) is to open both doors and use a hand blower to remove the garbage inside.

A truck is not a Lincoln Town Car. It's cheaper to buy a plain work truck and a used $2k town car with 40k loving maintained miles from a widow in SW Florida vs. some new fancy pick up with leather heated seats.

:confused: To each their own.

By the way real nice truck kirby!!!!!!

Tim Canavan
03-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Hey Lawrence Stone. A real lawn guy doesn't own a hand held blower.:D He also has a foreman to do most of his dirty work so he can do the things he has to do, like run a buisness.
Anyway, Kirby. I love the Division Bell tribute and the laptop. I think I am going to get a printer for mine. Who says lawn guys can't go high tech?:cool:

KirbysLawn
03-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

Well we finally agree on something Jim.

Hey Stone. We have different criteria here for lawn guys than you evidently. Here it is more important for us to understand how to care for lawn than how dirty or old our truck is. I think:

A real lawn guy can identify crabgrass.

A real lawn guy can identify Poa Annua.

A real lawn guy should understand soils pH.

A real lawn guy knows how to apply Barricade without sterilizing his soil for a year.

A real lawn guy applies fertilizer for the benefit of the lawn and to meet nutritional requirements. Not applying half rates to slow growth, save money, and cheat their customers.

I feel sorry for you customers (victims).
:rolleyes:

AND STONE:

Originally posted by lawrence stone
Either answer the gentlemanís question or keep your off topic remarks to yourself.

If someone else (other than yourself) posted off topic crap at the forum you moderate it would be deleted by the administrator of that site ASAP and would be considered unprofessional.

So in conclusion don't come over to this forum and make it your toilet. You have made your bed and now you should sleep in it.

Practice what you preach.

lawrence stone
03-10-2002, 08:09 PM

Stonewall
02-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Ray,

What kind of inverter would you recommend? What size output as well?

Thanks.

yardman1
02-04-2003, 01:34 AM
Jonathan, you do not need a real big one to run a laptop, check out northern tool catalog, they have a bunch of them.

Dennis
03-02-2003, 01:36 AM
I use a 400 watt for my laptop, usually don't take it though, just have quick shutdown time to save batt. Cost $40.00 from Har. frgt
Dennis

The Lawn Boy Pro
08-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by heygrassman
Just set up a wireless network for my sister. Got about 200-250 ft before connect issues popped up but is was a wood framed house and a clear day.

Linksys... works well!!! Yup, Linksys ALL THE WAY! I love mine! Got me the Wireless router/4 port switch box and a Instant Wireless series card for my laptop, Goes aong well with DSL internet connection! Ah, the wonders of no wires!:D

DUSTYCEDAR
08-15-2003, 11:33 PM
kirbyslawn has all the nice toys but where is the cup holder?

Team Gopher
08-17-2003, 04:17 AM
Does anyone else have any pictures to show us all what your mobile office looks like?