PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Heat Lawn Service

Pages : 1 [2]

nnj18
12-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Oh so its like town property? You could put a basin in with a french drain and it will look 100x better.....just a thought.

Anyway your work looks good!

SNAPPER MAN
12-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks Jaz, I know I could but all the houses in that neighborhood have ditches in front of their houses so this guy could probably care less. Its a great idea though because I know I hate weedeating the whole ditch each week.

nnj18
12-26-2008, 12:53 PM
yah....just throwing it out there for yah lol

SNAPPER MAN
12-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Ya. You have a nice setup man. Why you trying to sell alot of the stuff?

nnj18
12-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanx! Well I only need one stander and if sell both its no biggie. I'll just finance in the spring as I'm buying a 60 ztr anyway. The dealer will give me a great deal if I buy both so what the heck. Stihls are going 'cause I have redmax stuff and as far as the rest I don't use it enough. My dealer rents me stuff dirt cheap so that's the route I'll go. I can always buy it when I need it and right now I'd rather have the $$$$ for other things I do need.

dura to the max
12-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanx! Well I only need one stander and if sell both its no biggie. I'll just finance in the spring as I'm buying a 60 ztr anyway. The dealer will give me a great deal if I buy both so what the heck. Stihls are going 'cause I have redmax stuff and as far as the rest I don't use it enough. My dealer rents me stuff dirt cheap so that's the route I'll go. I can always buy it when I need it and right now I'd rather have the $$$$ for other things I do need.

i agree mostly, except i wouldnt finance...just me i guess. as long as you can afford the machine go ahead...i feel the same way...buy and sell as needed, trying to keep the basics on hand...as long as you dont lose too much doing that...i buy and sell a ton and normally come out even or ahead. i'm glad someone else on here feels somewhat the same.

nnj18
12-26-2008, 08:26 PM
i agree mostly, except i wouldnt finance...just me i guess. as long as you can afford the machine go ahead...i feel the same way...buy and sell as needed, trying to keep the basics on hand...as long as you dont lose too much doing that...i buy and sell a ton and normally come out even or ahead. i'm glad someone else on here feels somewhat the same.

yah, good deals fall into my lap so I take advantage of them....have never lost out on $$$$ and shooting never too. lol I'm probably going to finance because I have almost zero credit and it will help build it.....I have one credit card, but I'd think a $8000 loan will look a lot better??

dura to the max
12-26-2008, 11:40 PM
i dont have much experience w/ finances and credit...but i would think so

SNAPPER MAN
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Here are some pics of my dads new truck. Its a 2008 F-250 King Ranch, Crew cab, short bed, with the 6.4L Powerstroke. Enjoy!

SNAPPER MAN
12-31-2008, 10:56 AM
A few more.

born2farm
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Thats a sweet truck. What does your dad do for a living?

nnj18
12-31-2008, 10:58 AM
thats a nice truck!!!

SNAPPER MAN
12-31-2008, 10:58 AM
He owns his own company. Its too complicated to explain what they do so here is his website, www.danmarind.com

born2farm
12-31-2008, 11:19 AM
He owns his own company. Its too complicated to explain what they do so here is his website, www.danmarind.com

Ic, looks like a pretty big, well established company

Kennedy Landscaping
12-31-2008, 12:23 PM
That truck is sweet, now all you need to do is get the contract at that complex;)

SNAPPER MAN
12-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Ya my dad got a really nice truck. Here are some pics of my baby (tundra) and a pic of the new tires I got on my ford.
Austin, I wish I could do that complex but its a national company and the insurance required to do the job there is ridiculous.

freshprince94
12-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Ya my dad got a really nice truck. Here are some pics of my baby (tundra) and a pic of the new tires I got on my ford.
Austin, I wish I could do that complex but its a national company and the insurance required to do the job there is ridiculous.

Didn't you say you mow your dad's work? Awesome F-250 btw.

dura to the max
12-31-2008, 04:06 PM
that 3/4 ton is bad @$$. even if it is a ford...

lol, jk...i would love an F-250.

SNAPPER MAN
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Freshprince, I mow my fathers office, not the apartment complex where he lives.

Dura, the truck is really nice but I personally do not like the way it handles and feels, I prefer my tundra over his 250, but to each is own.

dura to the max
12-31-2008, 05:02 PM
im used to 3/4 ton and bigger trucks. plus my personal truck is lifted w/ 35's on it so im used to a rough handling truck...

born2farm
12-31-2008, 05:43 PM
I think Austin was talkin about the big complex on the website I could be wrong....it does happen alot..lol

Tuna3679
12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
For the guys having trouble edging with a trimmer try holding it upside down with the engine over your shoulder, walk backwards on the grass from right to left so you are throwing debris away from you, start slow and you'll get faster as time goes, I personally think it leaves a much cleaner edge than an edger, plus there are some edges an edger just can't do properly...although I use a stick edger on apt. complexes just because of the amount of sidewalks and use trimmers just on the beds

Kennedy Landscaping
01-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I was talking about the complex his dad lives at. That Tundra does look goiod with the new grille and rims. The Fords new tires look good too.

SNAPPER MAN
01-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the positive comments guys. Today I finally washed my mowers and trailer after 6 months lol. Here are a couple of semi-fleet pics I took.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
That pic is awesome! Ford looks really good....go figure:) I like your trailer alot too

Junior M
01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Your trailer doesnt look big enough to hold all 3 of your mowers, or can it?

SNAPPER MAN
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks Austin, the truck has been running good lately (knock on wood). I had alot of problems with it this spring but its running good now.

Jlm, I can barely fit all three mowers in the trailer, I usually dont. I usually have the ztr and the 32, or both walk behinds. The trailer works really good though.

freshprince94
01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Everything looks great Sean. Love the lettering on the truck.

Junior M
01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks Austin, the truck has been running good lately (knock on wood). I had alot of problems with it this spring but its running good now.

Jlm, I can barely fit all three mowers in the trailer, I usually dont. I usually have the ztr and the 32, or both walk behinds. The trailer works really good though.
You can call me Junior. Do you plan on getting a bigger trailer to fit all 3 at once?

SNAPPER MAN
01-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks Freshprince, I try my best to present my customers with a very professional front.

Junior, I plan to in a year or so. But we shall see what this year brings.

KCfireman
01-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks Freshprince, I try my best to present my customers with a very professional front.

Junior, I plan to in a year or so. But we shall see what this year brings.good luck snapper next year. Time to increase your customer base. I need to contact my customers for the up and coming season. If every is good to go i should have about 46 to 50 customer at the start of the season.

SNAPPER MAN
01-01-2009, 11:53 PM
KCfireman, thats what I plan on doing. As of right now all my current customers are secure for this year. I am planning on putting flyers out in neighborhoods where I already service lawns to try to tighten up my route. I am going to start cold calling commercial places next week and hopefully will be turning in a few bids. I am also going to be bidding a very large church in february that would be a full day of work for a crew so I hope I get that job. The park that I bid last year will be up for bid again in July so I plan on bidding again because the current company is doing a very bad job. I hope this year turns out to be good.

KCfireman
01-01-2009, 11:57 PM
KCfireman, thats what I plan on doing. As of right now all my current customers are secure for this year. I am planning on putting flyers out in neighborhoods where I already service lawns to try to tighten up my route. I am going to start cold calling commercial places next week and hopefully will be turning in a few bids. I am also going to be bidding a very large church in february that would be a full day of work for a crew so I hope I get that job. The park that I bid last year will be up for bid again in July so I plan on bidding again because the current company is doing a very bad job. I hope this year turns out to be good.Best of luck to you. I'll keep checking up on this thread for updates from ya'!:waving:

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks man. If things keep going as they are and as planned I will have a 3 man crew working 5 or 6 days a week at the end of this year. I already have at least 100 yards of mulch lined up for march. Thats where the money is!!

born2farm
01-02-2009, 12:05 AM
thats a pretty sharp looking setup. sounds like you got a good season ahead of you. how many accounts you got locked in?

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Right now I only have 20 maintenance accounts. But 5 of those are full service commercial properties. Then I also maintain a mansion that is full service. Then I just have residentials that serve me well.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Thats alot of mulch! I wish mulching was more popular around here. I would like about 25-30 accounts by the end of the summer. We'll see what 09' brings for us

born2farm
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Thats alot of mulch! I wish mulching was more popular around here. I would like about 25-30 accounts by the end of the summer. We'll see what 09' brings for us

thats about where i wanna be. get around 25 full service then take on all the extra work i can. i got one appartment complex that I just got the plowing for that I am hoping I can get the mowing. It would be about a $80 a week job only down side is no contract. but at this point in the biz $80 a week is a lot for me.

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Born2farm, that would be a nice job. Don't worry about not having contracts. I don't have contracts for any of my accounts. Just do what you say you are going to and do a good job and you don't have to worry.

Junior M
01-02-2009, 10:50 AM
This is kinda off topic, but I was just looking at a Sears catalog, and they had a "Craftsman Professional 36in WB" in there, it was the same thing as your Cub Cadet. Thought that was pretty funny. I bet it sells for cheaper than your 36in does..

born2farm
01-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Born2farm, that would be a nice job. Don't worry about not having contracts. I don't have contracts for any of my accounts. Just do what you say you are going to and do a good job and you don't have to worry.

Im not worried about the contracts. Its a good thing since I cant legally sign a contract. Hopin to just hit resi hard for a few years to get a name established.

KCfireman
01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
KCfireman, thats what I plan on doing. As of right now all my current customers are secure for this year. I am planning on putting flyers out in neighborhoods where I already service lawns to try to tighten up my route. I am going to start cold calling commercial places next week and hopefully will be turning in a few bids. I am also going to be bidding a very large church in february that would be a full day of work for a crew so I hope I get that job. The park that I bid last year will be up for bid again in July so I plan on bidding again because the current company is doing a very bad job. I hope this year turns out to be good.you can just say KC.:waving:

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Haha my bad KC. Here is a pic of the backyard of a very nice lawn that I mow. I overseeded this lawn this year and its awsome.

lawn crafters
01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks man. If things keep going as they are and as planned I will have a 3 man crew working 5 or 6 days a week at the end of this year. I already have at least 100 yards of mulch lined up for march. Thats where the money is!!

lol i thought you were going solo in 09

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I worked solo for a few months in '08 and just about killed myself. Most of my lawns are full maintenance with lots of flowerbeds and I just couldnt do a good enough job solo. Not enough hours in a day and I just about burned out. Right now I have an awsome helper, Pablo, and if I get enough work this year which its looking like I will he will be running a crew.

freshprince94
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Haha my bad KC. Here is a pic of the backyard of a very nice lawn that I mow. I overseeded this lawn this year and its awsome.

Nice striping. Did you use the Z or the w/b on that yard?

Kennedy Landscaping
01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Then are some nice stripes....

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Freshprince, I used my 48" tank on that yard. It was really pissing me off today. The striping rollar broke off for some weird reason and it was clumbing terribly. I had to cut that yard 3 times to make it look good, and then rake up some clumps. Pissed me off.

born2farm
01-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Nice stripes. Looks like a nice lawn if there wernt so many brown spots..lol

lawn crafters
01-02-2009, 07:53 PM
what do you do at full maintenance accounts. just trying to compare different lco's to myself. to improve my services

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 08:22 PM
For my full maintenance accounts I mow weekly year round, trim all hedges as needed, prune plants when needed, keep all beds weed free, fertilize 6 times a year, and mulch in the spring. Mulching is separate from the price though.

freshprince94
01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Freshprince, I used my 48" tank on that yard. It was really pissing me off today. The striping rollar broke off for some weird reason and it was clumbing terribly. I had to cut that yard 3 times to make it look good, and then rake up some clumps. Pissed me off.

That stinks, I've heard that the Cub Cadet's have clumping issues sometimes. Down here with all the rain we get and the thickness of the grass, in the summer there's so many clumps its crazy.

SNAPPER MAN
01-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Freshprince, I don't know if you have realized it but Texas is just as far south as Florida. I mow grass that is just as thick and moist as you do in florida. You make it sound like I'm in fricken Canada sometimes.

freshprince94
01-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Freshprince, I don't know if you have realized it but Texas is just as far south as Florida. I mow grass that is just as thick and moist as you do in florida. You make it sound like I'm in fricken Canada sometimes.

Lol, I'm not trying to. Texas actually seems very similar to FL, but I have never been there so I can't compare the too.

lawn crafters
01-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Lol, I'm not trying to. Texas actually seems very similar to FL, but I have never been there so I can't compare the too.

how old are you fresh prince?

South Florida Lawns
01-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Yes but we get more humidity. In the mornings the grass is as wet as if it just rained.

SNAPPER MAN
01-03-2009, 03:46 PM
South Florida, the grass is the same way here. In the morning it is soaking wet. It is usually at least 80-90% humidity here during the spring and summer

SNAPPER MAN
01-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Small mulch job today. Today we mowed two restaurants, two offices, and two houses. These are pics of the small mulch job we did at one of the offices. Let me know what yall think!

SNAPPER MAN
01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Here are the after pics.

born2farm
01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Looks good. I like your rig now that you got it all letterd up. It looks a lot more proffesional.

SNAPPER MAN
01-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks. I think the only thing lettering is good for is looking professional. I have not recieved a single phone call from the truck lettering or trailer signs. I think they just give it a clean professional look. I never expected to get any work from it anyways.

born2farm
01-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes it does make you look more professional. I mean who would a customer want to hire.

You that pulls up in a fully letterd truck and trailer or me who pulls up in just a plain pickup with a strobe light and a regular trailer. I think I will play a big part in growing your company.

Keep up the good work.

SNAPPER MAN
01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks. I honestly doubt it makes a difference to the customer because most are not home when I service their property. I know a couple guys who have decent sized operations but dont letter their trucks and trailers for insurance reasons, they also dont have uniforms to save money. Idk to each is own.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-03-2009, 05:08 PM
That new mulch looks 100x better! Good job

SNAPPER MAN
01-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I finally remembered to take some pics today. I was talking about getting more work a while back in the thread and just yesterday I recieved a call from a large residence that I bid about a month ago. It was nice to get the job even though I was $3k higher for the whole year than the othe guys :)
Im going to be turning in some bids for apartments and restaurants this week. I hope I get a couple. So anyways here are the picks.

SNAPPER MAN
01-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Here are the last couple.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Looks good. Are the stripes with or without the sulky?

SNAPPER MAN
01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
I was using the TANK on all the yards pictured.

JosephLawnCare
01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
DAMN, your tundra is bad ass!! I like your rig. Is your trailer a 14'?

SNAPPER MAN
01-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Haha thanks man. I love my tundra. I also have a F-150 that we usually use for work but I wanted to drive my baby this weekend lol. The trailer is 12'and it works great.

JosephLawnCare
01-17-2009, 10:19 PM
12'? Around here a 12' is only a single axle. Was that custom made for you?

SNAPPER MAN
01-17-2009, 10:32 PM
12 ft. tandam axle trailers are pretty common around here. The trailer was custom made for me by my dads fabricators at his office. It is built far superior to most trailers sold at dealers. The trailer works great for me.

freshprince94
01-17-2009, 11:43 PM
12 ft. tandam axle trailers are pretty common around here. The trailer was custom made for me by my dads fabricators at his office. It is built far superior to most trailers sold at dealers. The trailer works great for me.
I love my custom fabbed trailer...unfortunatly it looks like I won't be able to get another one made when I move up to a 6x12.

Nice stripes and work btw. I hope to move into the commercial side of things once I get a bigger trailer and my ZTR.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-18-2009, 01:01 AM
I love my custom fabbed trailer...unfortunatly it looks like I won't be able to get another one made when I move up to a 6x12.

Nice stripes and work btw. I hope to move into the commercial side of things once I get a bigger trailer and my ZTR.

Gonna have to get a truck before a bigger trailer I would think?

SNAPPER MAN
01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Haha ya Austin I agree a 100%. Thank god I'm not going to neeed a new trailer for a long time because I'm planning on buying an Isuzu Npr with a landscape body in a year or so.

freshprince94
01-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Gonna have to get a truck before a bigger trailer I would think?

Yeah I'm either gonna get a truck or a SUV.

SNAPPER MAN
01-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Dude get a truck. Its a necessity for running a lawn and landscape business, and it also looks alot more professional even if you dont letter it.

sgl41377
01-18-2009, 12:20 PM
A stick edger is good for large commercial properties. I do like to use a line trimmer for edging but do notice using a lot more trimmer line when doing so. Sometimes it is worth it to make it look good. I usually try and rotate it a little to make things faster.

freshprince94
01-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Dude get a truck. Its a necessity for running a lawn and landscape business, and it also looks alot more professional even if you dont letter it.

Yeah...I want to get a F-250 in the next year or so but a new mower is my priority, so I'll make do with the van for a little while longer.

nnj18
01-18-2009, 03:09 PM
looks good man! like your signature lmao (inside joke).....stripes lookin a lil wavy in pic #2 post #316......just lookin for something wrong lmao :laugh:

Kennedy Landscaping
01-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Definetly go with a truck and don't look back.

KCfireman
01-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Dude get a truck. Its a necessity for running a lawn and landscape business, and it also looks alot more professional even if you dont letter it.Not nescasarily. There's a guy here who pulls a 16ft trailer w/ (2) 52" wrights and a (1) 36" wright all with his 97' Chevy Suburban and he has about 83 lawns.

Nick's Lawn Care
01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Hello, you have a nice little setup!

Do you have any close up pictures of the Ms-361, im thinking about buying one? How do you like the saw?

Thanks, nick

nnj18
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
MS361 is a great mid-sized saw!

SNAPPER MAN
01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Jared, Your funny. I try..I try I cant always be perfect though lol.

Nick, thanks it works great for me and has made me some decent money. Go back to post #116 and the first pic there is a pretty close up pic of the saw. It is a great saw and has alot of power.

Nick's Lawn Care
01-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Jared, Your funny. I try..I try I cant always be perfect though lol.

Nick, thanks it works great for me and has made me some decent money. Go back to post #116 and the first pic there is a pretty close up pic of the saw. It is a great saw and has alot of power.

Ohhh i miss that page, sounds like ill be getting one pretty soon i hope...

keep up the good work!

SNAPPER MAN
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Ya go fot it. It's a great saw and has worked good for me. I do tree work but just not all the time, I dont advertise but if a customers asks me to do something I can do it. You gotta know how to do alot when your in this industry.

Kennedy Landscaping
01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
You ever get that chrome in for your Yota yet? If so pics would be great. ;)

teamgreendude
03-21-2009, 01:19 PM
You say that you had your blowers stolen and you replaced the BR-600 but in the pic of your blower rack I see not only the BR 600 but also an ECHO PB 410 behind the gas can. You never said you replaced the echo and its definatly not a 755.

ANd do you have a license to be using that pesticide sprayer?

dude lay off don't trash us young people just because were young doesn't mean were not hard workers. Oh yea I'm a technician so just keep quiet if your going to bash other people for doing what they love to do great work snapper man keep it up.

drains
03-23-2009, 12:40 AM
What brand of trailer is that? Did you buy it locally? Looks nice!! Keep up the good work!!

drains
03-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Found my answer elsewhere in the thread. It's nice to have "people" eh? Good luck to you.