PDA

View Full Version : Compost

Smallaxe
08-29-2008, 07:20 AM
I am thinking, during the winter, I would like to make compost, from manure only. Like the stuff they sell in bags. Manure of course is only 'green' and should be mixed with a 'brown' on a 25:1 ratio, however, the 'brown' is likely to cost money and take longer.

Does anyone know the technique for manure only composting or the best source to discover the technique?

Thanks for any and all ideas.

NattyLawn
08-29-2008, 08:07 AM
The more experienced with making compost will chime in, but if you're going to use manure, why not use worms to break the manure down?

ICT Bill
08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
WORMS, it is a wonderful food or them. You can often have a 10 to 12 week turn around time, depending on the size of the bed
Of course which ever way you go you will have to keep it in a fairly warm environment unless the piles are huge or buried underground like silage

treegal1
08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
ok so from what we have gathered horse manure is 25-35:1 from the start or end..... so you really dont need to add anything to it to compost........... maybe some diversity. if there is a lot of wood and not just manure then you will be adding N. it takes 50 lbs of worms per horse to stay on top of production. up north they have insulated bins or just add some green manure to the ends of the beds for heat(you have to have an old spot in the beds the worms can get out of the heat)

treegal1
08-29-2008, 08:28 AM
also, Bill, a one day turn around is possible with the worms.

lbs of worms is usualy the same as the food per day lbs eaten.

DeepGreenLawn
08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
will worms eat the shavings too? I may have asked this before...

treegal1
08-29-2008, 09:14 AM
of course!! one lip and no teeth may take a while...........

ICT Bill
08-29-2008, 09:15 AM
also, Bill, a one day turn around is possible with the worms.

lbs of worms is usualy the same as the food per day lbs eaten.

That's true, I was thinking starting from scratch, like he will be doing, it will take some time to gain momentum and get them established and happy

DeepGreenLawn
08-29-2008, 09:24 AM
what would be a way to speed that up? Or just keep the shavings out if possible?

treegal1
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
bill, even from scratch you only feed what they can eat in a day or 2, large piles that get worms tossed in are not going to decompose real well. just my exp.LOLOL

deep, you need a fungus amoung us!!!!LOLOL even harderLOLOL

treegal1
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
hey I thought it was funny, a fungus among us(grin).

on a more serious note, winter compost, not my winter the Canada type...

the first thing that comes to my mind is thermal mass and insulation/aeration. you have to have a big pile and a cover that only lets a small amount of air/heat escape, maybe your pile is only going to have 1/2 new compost and a "blanket" of finished compost on the top. maybe it just does not cook the out side? in the spring take the outside and restart it. and use the inside of the pile to do what you want.

see the thing is its like a good pizza crust you need to save some of the day before mix to add to the next days mix, they call it the mother dough, you have to have a mother compost to start it off with, we have ordered over the years a lot of different compost and worm casts just to add to the diversity.

Smallaxe
08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the ideas. This will hopefully be a project this winter in Florida, not in Wisco, so temp. concerns are not an issue. Where we go down there, is sandy to the point of - even under the leaf litter there is little in the way of residual OM on the forest floor. Except perhaps in the spring fed lowlands. [I did not get a chance to study the soils there.]

Getting worms to go into the piles and doing the 'eating' vs. actual heat 'composting' - IS a good idea. When I gather the manure I will have to gather their worms along with it. :) I will of course, lt them know what I am doing.

If Bill is correct on a 10 - 12 week turn around time that should be just about right. I might even find piles ready to go. Lots of horses in that neck of the woods.

Now to find a year round LCO to do follow-up on the organic lawn process on the targeted markets. Thanks again.

treegal1
08-29-2008, 09:49 PM
give me a call we have compost and manure in 13 county's now.

Marcos
08-29-2008, 10:12 PM
hey I thought it was funny, a fungus among us(grin).

treegal, how about this one: :)

"No one knew-'er like the horsemanknew-'er!"

My uncle used to sometimes mutter this when we were working in the barn cleaning horse stalls.

This was so 'innocent and funny' when I was 6, 7 maybe 8 years old.

Now that I'm 40-something, I sort of wonder now...if it didn't have some type of 'hidden' meaning at that time, that was intended to fly right over my naive little toe-head! :rolleyes:

treegal1
08-29-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah my great grand dad used that one, he was a horse man till he died, started in the cavalry, on 1922.

it has several meanings, just depends on what side of the horse your on.LOLOL

treegal1
08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
my old mans quote was" never teach a pig to sing"

Smallaxe
08-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I figured you were down there some place :) The Horseman knew 'er a little closer to GA.
Northern chicks are jammin'.... :)