PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Trees

DeepGreenLawn
08-29-2008, 09:17 AM
What is the proper way to light a tree? I know there is a wide range of trees so lets break it down.

Massive Oak (I am sure just a canopy hang?).

Medium River birch.

Small crape myrtle.

What I am looking for is how you climb the big guys and how you attach the cords to the trees/branches.

hotrod1965
08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't typically climb trees unless we are branch wrapping them.

I would recommed a good sturdy extension pole to reach those lights high into trees.

DeepGreenLawn
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I figure zip ties are the best way to attach them to branches?

hotrod1965
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I only use zip ties if the strand is not wanting to stick to the branches. Most cases the branches will hold the lights just fine.
The last thing you want is to have to cut a bunch of zip ties when you take the lights down!

DeepGreenLawn
08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
ok... I just didn't know if you wanted them straight or not... I guess the branches will keep it straight enough... the zip ties could be spread apart for added stability due to wind and such?

David Gretzmier
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Use zip ties if you belive the customer will pay you for the tripling of time to install and take down. otherwise, with time, you will learn how to install with an extension pole how to put lights on trees that will not come down with normal wind and storms. sorry, but my lights don't come off my trees that I do, but they do sometimes with the new guy. it's an experience thing.

turf hokie
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I never even considered zip tying lights to a tree. You will quickly figure out how to get lights to stay in trees wether it is a branch wrap or a canopy wrap. I have not had lights come out of a tree yet using ladders and extension poles. A bucket truck for the bigger trees.

It would take way too much time to take down if everything was zip tied.

hotrod1965
08-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I can think of about 5 zip ties I used last year, and it was for some funky trees.
I can't imagine cutting a bunch of ties down! Time is money!

turf hokie
08-30-2008, 10:41 AM
We use electrical tape sometimes to secure the cords to the trees when we set power but that is it and easier to take down than a zip tie that needs to be cut.

addictedtolandscaping
11-06-2010, 06:18 AM
You guys are 100% right on the zip ties here. New guy (that would be me) did about 17 trees last year zip ties them where I thought they would need it, and what a fantastic pita!!!! all n all it took 4 days to put them up and 3 days down. Part of the issue is the customer only wanted to buy 50 sets of 100 count and I had to stretch them, so it was move here there yadada. Any how I love the fact that w tornadoe (ok a little extreme) could have come thru and they would have been fine and no broken wires, but like I said a fantastic PITA!.