PDA

View Full Version : compost tea

phasthound
08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
There were about a dozen or so of us at Elaine Ingham's compost tea class yesterday. It was great, wish I had the time to be there for the full 5 day course. Maybe someone else will chime in about those days.

Probably the most important thing I learned was that heat & UV does not have the detrimental effect on microbes as I had thought & have heard mentioned many times. Elaine recounted a study she had done where they were applying tea with one of those large pivot sprayers used in agriculture. It took 36 hours for the sprayer to complete its circuit. She suggested to the farmer that it should be shut down between 10 AM & 2 PM during the hottest & most intense UV hours. Farmer said no. She tested foliar for live microbes before & after, all areas increased by the same amount regardless of temp & UV at time of application.

treegal1
08-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I had wondered why no one ask me about the light in my brewer. you know you can bend the growth curve with light.......... leds are cool...........

how was the food???

cudaclan
08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
But UV sterilizers are used to control algae in ponds (?). There has to be some casualties.

treegal1
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
UVGI utilises the short wavelength of UV that is harmful to forms of life at the micro-organic level. It is effective in destroying the nucleic acids in these organisms so that their DNA is disrupted by the UV radiation, which is a form of ionising radiation. This removes their reproductive capabilities and/or kills them. The wavelength of UV that causes this effect is rare on Earth as its atmosphere blocks it. Using a UVGI device in certain environments like circulating air or water systems creates a deadly effect on micro-organisms such as pathogens, viruses and molds that are in these environments. Coupled with a filtration system, UVGI can remove harmful micro-organisms from these environments.

phasthound
08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
how was the food???

I choked on the kelp, but the molasses was good. :)

treegal1
08-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I choked on the kelp, but the molasses was good. :)no fish oil?? patis is one of my all time favorites

Tim Wilson
08-30-2008, 11:32 AM
There were about a dozen or so of us at Elaine Ingham's compost tea class yesterday. It was great, wish I had the time to be there for the full 5 day course. Maybe someone else will chime in about those days.

Probably the most important thing I learned was that heat & UV does not have the detrimental effect on microbes as I had thought & have heard mentioned many times. Elaine recounted a study she had done where they were applying tea with one of those large pivot sprayers used in agriculture. It took 36 hours for the sprayer to complete its circuit. She suggested to the farmer that it should be shut down between 10 AM & 2 PM during the hottest & most intense UV hours. Farmer said no. She tested foliar for live microbes before & after, all areas increased by the same amount regardless of temp & UV at time of application.

I use light with my brewers always; translucent barrels. Since I had to brew in our 1200 gal. outside under the sun (100F+ outside) and saw that there were enormous numbers of microbes, I've practiced this.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
bar,

i know you asked doc I some other good important questions? care to share?

phasthound
08-30-2008, 05:42 PM
bar,

i know you asked doc I some other good important questions? care to share?

Charlie, ya should a been there. :)

I did ask a lot of questions. Trouble is, I just absorb things & they don't come out again til I need them.

Maybe the other Jersey boy can chime in when he gets home.

08-30-2008, 07:32 PM
:)

Trouble is, I just absorb things & they don't come out again til I need them..

I know the feeling:)

Prolawnservice
09-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Hands down, microscope day was the best, you missed a good one Barry.

09-01-2008, 07:38 AM
prolawn,

did you pick up a new scope?

phasthound
09-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Hands down, microscope day was the best, you missed a good one Barry.

I'm still trying to figure out how to clone myself so I can be in more places at once. :)

Prolawnservice
09-01-2008, 09:10 AM
prolawn,

did you pick up a new scope?

No, I took Tim's advice and used the one I had(AO 10 series), glad I did, Thanks Tim! It does have better quality optics than the one they recommend. They recommend the Leica because it is a "tough scope (can take some abuse) at a decent price" but there were several in the class with different scopes. I had a good handle on how to use my scope going into the class, but it was a great deal of confirmation. I also wasn't sure how to set the kohler (my scope guy did it for me) I didn't realize it was that simple.

Tim Wilson
09-01-2008, 11:01 AM
No, I took Tim's advice and used the one I had(AO 10 series), glad I did, Thanks Tim! It does have better quality optics than the one they recommend. They recommend the Leica because it is a "tough scope (can take some abuse) at a decent price" but there were several in the class with different scopes. I had a good handle on how to use my scope going into the class, but it was a great deal of confirmation. I also wasn't sure how to set the kohler (my scope guy did it for me) I didn't realize it was that simple.

I'm glad the AO 10 worked for you. You never did email me for the manual and Kohler instructions. Did you make sure your condenser was centered. Probably. They are good little scopes (for brightfield) and blow away the Leica CME.

It sounds like the scope class has been upgraded. When I was at the lab years ago the teacher did not know what Kohler was so I taught her.

Did the brewer produce dense, long fungal hyphae like the video footage on my website?

I believe Matt owns the lab. Testing his own product. Hmmm. Sounds like me. Guess he better send out to New York.....

I believe each lab pays $100K to Elaine for the name. Could be wrong.

Tim