PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Marketing Directly to New Homes?

JimLewis
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I notice that a lot of our new landscape construction business comes from new homes that were recently moved into. Around here, new homes come with landscaping in front and nothing but dirt in the back yard - that's pretty much 99% of new homes. So everyone who buys a new home needs landscaping, lawn, irrigation, plants, trees, patio, etc.

We've been putting door hangers on doors whenever we see a newly built set of homes. But they are often hard to find. These new developments are often hidden inside existing neighborhoods and sub-divisions.

There must be some way to get a list of new construction homes that were just purchased and then send each one a letter or flyer or something as they get purchased. Anyone doing that? Anyone know how?

Bigred350
08-29-2008, 07:44 PM
The problem we have found with new homes is the homeowers have ran out of money by the time the house is finished so all they can afford at the time is to do the front yard.

We do alot of home that are 5 to 10 years old. Cause the homeowners have saved back up and want to redo all the lanscaping.

JimLewis
08-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Ok. Well I am sorry to hear that. But I have had a different experience with new homeowners. So my question still stands, anyone know of a way to specifically market toward these people precisely when the house sells? Or at least to find out where new developments are?

h400exinfl
08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Do you follow the builders? That seems to be the way to go on new homes.

forestfireguy
08-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Jim,

Here in Joisey.... we see real estate transactions in the county paper, usually listed once a week. I believe it is the county clerks office that publishes this info.

Farbio
08-30-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey Jim,

We use a local mailing service to send out postcards monthly to new construction homes. They are somehow able to get a mailing list for this. In Spokane, it is usually about 2000 address. The new construction homeowners stay on the list for three months before dropping off the list. I just started doing this in the last 6 months and have had great success. This has probably been our best advertising for landscape construction. Let me know if you have any questions.

Patatoe1
08-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Ok. Well I am sorry to hear that. But I have had a different experience with new homeowners. So my question still stands, anyone know of a way to specifically market toward these people precisely when the house sells? Or at least to find out where new developments are?

I know around here a couple town's chamber of commerce will send packages to new residents when they move into their homes. You pay the yearly fee for membership and them something around $1 per home after that.

Hope that gives you an idea.

JimLewis
08-30-2008, 03:52 AM
Hey Jim,

We use a local mailing service to send out postcards monthly to new construction homes. They are somehow able to get a mailing list for this. In Spokane, it is usually about 2000 address. The new construction homeowners stay on the list for three months before dropping off the list. I just started doing this in the last 6 months and have had great success. This has probably been our best advertising for landscape construction. Let me know if you have any questions.

THAT'S what I am talking about. How did you find this company? How can I find something like that in my area?

White Gardens
08-31-2008, 01:32 AM
Here in our area, we tend to get landscaping jobs on houses that have been owned for a long time. Usually landscaping is the last on the list of things that have been upgraded on a house.

Someone else made the comment about having money left over, I can't tell you how many times I've seen half a mil. houses that have little to no furniture in it because the money has run out.

Must be your market, and what people want in your area.

andyslawncare
08-31-2008, 02:01 AM
My dad is a realtor and through his listing company he has acess to alot of mailing lists-these lists that he can get have the sale date...I think that he can search by sale date of the house...i'm not 100% on this but I would talk to a friend that is a realtor...

PlatinumLandCon
08-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I've never advertised as a company in the 2 years of business. I did 2 small jobs last year, got referred, did more work. I find that if you do a solid job in a new subdivision, you're set for the whole street. I didn't see much action at first, but once I was sweeping polymeric and repairing turf, I got 3 inquiries.

Its hard to break into an area as an unknown guy, but I think the direct mail or bag sign method works.

Premo Services
09-05-2008, 07:14 AM
In our weekend paper there is always ads showing where new home displays are.

JohnnyRoyale
09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Try your phone company. New home = new phone service. My experience is that landscaping, other than lawns usually happens in year 2 or 3 of the purchase.

TXNSLighting
09-05-2008, 08:26 AM

You gotta get in good with the home builders and they will recommend you when the new people move in. Same for all the real estate companies. If you want new homes, thats where its at.

jaybird24
09-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I too have seen a trend in this direction. I think people are not planning on moving in 2 or 3 years anymore so they are willing to put $ into there house they have. We never do work for builders, because they usually have a very low budget to do the landscape. Once the homeowner takes over and realizes the 2' of rock along the front of the house and one tree smack dab in the middle of the yard won't do, they start getting the pocket book out. Jim, you guys do great work, and I imagine your price reflect this. You may want to target the upper eschelon hoods. I can tell you if you live in a college town, join their football booster club, football boosters usually have some dough, and want people to know it, so they like nice homes and landscapes.

EagleLandscape
09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Jim, maybe make friends with some real estate agents. Get a list of recent sells/closings?

Maybe make a deal where if an agent gives you the info, and a landscape install sale goes through they get a percentage?

only if you install though, that way you couldnt lose money.

h400exinfl
09-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm really like this thread and all the great ideas. Thanks guys.

JimLewis
09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Jim, maybe make friends with some real estate agents. Get a list of recent sells/closings?

Maybe make a deal where if an agent gives you the info, and a landscape install sale goes through they get a percentage?

only if you install though, that way you couldnt lose money.

I got too many real estate "friends" already. Most of them are more of a PITA than they are worth.

But the problem with this idea -- if it worked -- is that we'd just get a list of homes that had sold. Not what I am looking for. I want a list of NEWLY BUILT homes that have sold.

Some of you PM'd me with some really great ideas and contacts. Thanks! I haven't had much time to read them and follow up. But thanks, I will follow up on those PMs a few of you sent me. Thanks!!!