PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes(do not move)

Pro-Scapes
08-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Well guys looks like we are in for getting put thru the washer down here again this year. I know its too soon to say but things are crazy down here.... Actually had 2 calls about installs this week tho too lol.

As people race for supplies and the tension builds I will try to keep you guys posted and I created a Gustav thread in the off topic area. Some of you have mine and Ashleys personal numbers and are welcome to contact us anytime if I dont make it back online. I think after katrina is was about 5 weeks before we were back up and running (4 weeks no power) but alas we are better prepared this time. There are 2 storms out there as of now and 2 more low pressure systems coming off Africa to watch.

I think Burt from Accent lighting is heading up this way in the next couple of days depending on what goes on (he is south of new orleans) so we should all be safe.

God bless and please rememeber to keep all thoes affect by the storms in your thoughts and prayers and not just thoes of us here at home in the USA

Chris J
08-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm here for ya Billy, so call me if you need anything including a place to escape to. I say that with reservation, as most of these storms like to veer off course and head straight for us! Be safe, and don't hesitate to call if you need something.

Pro-Scapes
08-30-2008, 12:28 AM
thanks Chris. Projected path is a bit further west than what katrina took so maybe we will be safer here. Figures after I blow a couple grand on getting things ready it wont even touch us.

David Gretzmier
08-30-2008, 12:43 AM
I hope you are safe and that all will be ok.

Chris J
08-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, makes you wonder about the weather man sometimes. I've gotten into the habit of doing exactly the opposite of what the predictions say. I can't tell you how many jobs I've cancelled because of bad weather forcasts, only to be sitting around with not even a drop of rain. Best of luck dude. Our prayers will be for you and your family and friends.

Pro-Scapes
08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
cat 4 now and 5mph short of a cat 5 storm. This is all to familiar to us. I think its pretty safe to say we will at least get some rain out of this. They forcasted us alot of rain with Fay but we didnt get it all that bad.

For thoes of you who know Burt I have been texting with him today. He and his family left Houma this morning and are now at thier cabin about an hour north of me.

Mike M
08-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Billy, let me know if you get damage.

Pro-Scapes
08-31-2008, 04:51 AM
Billy, let me know if you get damage.

The traffic on I59 past our town last night was real bad. I already have damage... to my wallet that is!

MarkOlex
08-31-2008, 12:01 PM
You guys in the south be safe. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

irrig8r
08-31-2008, 12:20 PM
The traffic on I59 past our town last night was real bad. I already have damage... to my wallet that is!

Hope you all dodge this bullet safely.

Mike M
08-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Let me look around... Nope, I have no materials or supplies in the wallet damage area. (lol).

I do, however, have a stihl farm boss and some open days if needed.

One good thing for me, when I bought my house, by code, the builder had to have a bunch of pre-cut particle board tied to the inside of my garage in the event of a hurricane, ready for mounting.

worx
08-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Billy I am just a stones throw from ya and as long as Jim Cantori doesn't show up around town everything should be O.K.:cool2:

TXNSLighting
08-31-2008, 01:48 PM
I wish the best for everyone inline of these storms. Ill be thinking of you. Were supposed to get some of it, but i doubt it will be that bad when (if) it gets here.

Chris J
08-31-2008, 03:17 PM
The offer I made to Billy goes for the rest of you guys as well. If you need a place to escape to, I'm not too far away. Just don't wait till the last minute before heading this way or you'll never get out of there.

Mike M
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
When prepping for a hurricane, does the strongest wind come from the northeast for the southeast coast (factoring angle of attack as well as counter clockwise prevailing wind?). Hanna is on course for SE coast. Wunderground.com (weather underground) has the most comprehensive data and models and graphics for current and predicted hurricanes.

Hanna:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200808_model.html#a_topad

TPnTX
09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
we got a full house, 2 rvs, and and 2 neighboring houses full of folks from New Orleans. It's been pretty tense but as of this morning it looks like the property belonging to these folks, some of them elderly, is going to be alright.

Everyone was scheduled to come in town for a Sept 6th wedding. They had to come a week early. No biggie, glad to help.

Chris J
09-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Mike, it's worse if the storm passes to your South. The North East of the storm is what produces the worse weather

Mike M
09-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Chris, do the damaging winds hitting your home come from the northeast direction? I can make sure I at least prep those windows if I don't have a lot of time.

We'll be in Columbia for my daughter on Wed/Thu/Fri, won't be home to prep for Hanna should she come this way. There is another tropical storm coming this general direction after that one, too.

Mike M
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200808_model.html#a_topad

Most of the computer models are now pointing at me, the forecast at present is a category 2.

Chris J
09-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Mike, I really don't know the correct answer to that. I believe the winds would be coming from the NE, but don't take my word for it. I just know that it's much worse if the storms pass to the south and put you on the outside edge. Much more rain, wind and tornado activity.

Mike M
09-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Billy, please check PM.

Anyone with specific experience taping windows and prepping for hurricanes please specify. Also, I need to know what some good temporary fixes are for roof or siding damage. I have sheets of plastic and staples, etc.

I am picking up basic materials in case Hanna hits us, all models still indicate a regional hit, and I am going to be out of town by tomorrow PM with my family to see our oldest daughter (this will be a good thing if there is an evacuation).

Problem is, if they issue a warning and it makes landfall here this weekend, I will be too late to prep or get supplies for repairs. So I'd rather just be safe than sorry and pick up materials now.

At the very least, I should tape my windows and be ready for power outages.

Thanks.

Pro-Scapes
09-03-2008, 08:40 AM
well my internet went down for a couple of days and the sat dish was out during the rain. We had about 35-40mph winds here and several tornadoes in the area. One twister passed behind our pond and we found 5 trees down so it wasnt that bad here. Power was out for a whopping 3 seconds.(Katrina we lost litterally hundreds of trees)

As alot of you know Burts town took more or less a direct hit but great news. Someone checked on his house and it seems he only lost a few shingles. His shop lost the skylights and has some water damage from rain I guess.

They are not letting people back in Houma until Friday at the earliest.

Chris J
09-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear your safe Billy. Now I've got to get ready for Hanna, Josephine and Ike! When it rains, it pours!

JoeyD
09-03-2008, 12:18 PM
wow! I just got back from vacation and am gettign caught up here.........glad to hear all is well down there Billy. When I saw ont he news another big hurricane was blowing your guys way i started wondering if it was going to affect you. I am glad that it sounds like you guys made it through without too much damage.

Mike M
09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Chris, Josephine is nuts. The lady on the weather channel started laughing when she said it's like a bowling ball coming at us. I'm worried about that one.

I think Hanna might go north of me now, but one model shows it coming in through my patio door.

Chris J
09-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Somehow I never get too worried about these storms. Seems like the big ones alway find their way around us. Having said that, I probably just woke up the big bear. Josephine will probably pound the hell out of us now!

Mike M
09-03-2008, 11:13 PM
correction: I meant Ike. Josephine is the one further out.

Chris J
09-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Isn't Ike the one that is supposed to go straight West, under Florida? I haven't looked at the weather in the past two days, so I need to update myself on the names/directions of each.

Mike M
09-03-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200809_model.html#a_topad

Chris, Ike is insane, it's already a cat 3, and none of the models have agreed on a course. This is a bad one.

Use wunderground.com and go to tropical storms for updates. I know stuff one to two days before the morning paper mentions it.

Chris J
09-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks Mike, I'll check it out.

Chris J
09-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Mike, I looked at your link and nothing I saw indicates a hazzard to me. I didn't even see the forcast that indicated a cat 3! Maybe I'm looking at the wrong info. Please help.

Mike M
09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Chris, wait a few days, then look out your living room window. :)

I guess everything is speculation at this point anyways, but that Ike is scary.

Pro-Scapes
09-04-2008, 09:38 AM
hanna looks pretty wide. If she comes in slow moving it would be flooding and surge I would be worried about. They say now maybe a cat 1 at landfall.

Ike does look kinda scary right now. South fla might get pounded after the bahamas by that one. If we get another one like Katrina I am moving back to Vegas. Hot and dry... the weather is so predictable.

worx
09-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Mike your right weather underground has Ike taking a northern swing much like Hanna. You can look at the "computer models" on weather underground and they all predict a track to the east side of Florida. 145 mph sustained and gusts of 180 mph!!!!!!!

Pro-Scapes
09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
sounds like Mike needs to evac and come to MS for a few days and learn how to use mapp gas lol

irrig8r
09-04-2008, 12:10 PM
sounds like Mike needs to evac and come to MS for a few days and learn how to use mapp gas lol

LOL. That was a good one... :)

Pro-Scapes
09-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I spoke to burt again today. Half his roof is gone and the fence is down. There are long lines for gas and food in houma and the power is supposed to be out for another 3 weeks. I think they were leaving again.

Mike M
09-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow. The news doesn't cover the after effects well enough.

Pro-Scapes
09-05-2008, 07:18 PM
you still at home murphy ? We are keeping a keen eye on Ike now to see if it enters the gulf. We should know more over the weekend it looks like. Hanna is just a rain storm compared to a good hurricane.

Mike M
09-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm at a hotel in Columbia, SC. My daughter's graduation from boot camp.

Ike is a real hurricane, who knows where it will hit.

Chris J
09-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Hanna was a sissy. I wanted to get blown around a bit to justify the cancellation of a job today. That's typical though; the news always blows it up to be something it's not. Much like some on this forum? :laugh: Couldn't help it, had to say it. Please forgive me lord and feed all the little people down in New Guniea.

worx
09-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Ike has turned into a monster and now ALL the computer models have it entering the GULF!!!! Expected to be a cat. 4 when it comes across the Key's.

irrig8r
09-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Not sure if I'd rather experience hurricanes or earthquakes... with earthquakes, people who have experienced them and plan ahead keep food and water and stuff in sheds or other places... but most folks really don't..

With a hurricane I guess it's more immediate... and more people are reminded to stock up before they need it..

Right now it's 99 degrees out with 12% humidity... hot but tolerable if you keep hydrated... and out of the direct sun. No earthquakes on the immediate horizon... as far as I can tell...

Pro-Scapes
09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Not sure if I'd rather experience hurricanes or earthquakes... with earthquakes, people who have experienced them and plan ahead keep food and water and stuff in sheds or other places... but most folks really don't..

With a hurricane I guess it's more immediate... and more people are reminded to stock up before they need it..

Right now it's 99 degrees out with 12% humidity... hot but tolerable if you keep hydrated... and out of the direct sun. No earthquakes on the immediate horizon... as far as I can tell...

Greg rememeber I hail from Gilroy which was very near the center for the loma prieta quake during the world series. I rememeber losing 3-4 ft of water out of our pool from the waves it created and our boat bouncing in the garage and coming thru the wall into the living room.

I have been thru blizzards in chicago... opressive heat in vegas and now hurricanes (katrina) and insane humidity. I think I would take ANYTHING short of a volcanic eruption over the hurricanes.

I would definatly take a well built home and earthquakes over 120mph wind and driving rain coupled with 4 weeks of power loss.

Chris J
09-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Hurricanes are way cool! I've delt with this crap all of my life, and I've surfed most of them. They are tremendous, but I say "bring it on!!!" Crap can be replaced, that's the reason for insurance. I hope Ike heads straight for the North East Coast. I'll be there to meet him!

SamIV
09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey all,

Have not posted in a while. We survived the hurricane here in Houma, but the area took a beating. Power lines are down everywhere along with trees and branches. Still driving around line and poles with transformers in the roads.

Most of the people came back in today. Food and gas is hard to come by at times. You have to be in the right place a the right time. There is free ice and water if you don't mind waiting line for a few hours. My wife got lucky today and got us much needed supplies. There is food and water but the lines are sometimes unbearable. Only allow a few people in the stores at a time.

Further down the coast there is no electricity or water. We have water and sewage but no electricity. I know New Orleans is constantly mentioned on TV, but this is where the storm came in. We are very happy there was very little storm surge. We were expecting 6 to 9 foot in the city of Houma. Got no water to speak of, only wind damage.

The buzz of the generator is in the background, but my Coppermoon, Unique, and Cast equipment sits in the dark as most of the city. We are expected to get electricity by October. Only lights you see are because of generators. It is very eerie here at night. Curfew at 8:00 pm, the sound of generators, but still very dark.

Chris J
09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Burt, I sympathize with your situation, but I'm happy to hear your safe. If you'd like to come over to Jacksonville, I'll be happy to put you and your family up until the dust settles. Seriously! Please don't hesitate to come. I'm just a single guy, so you would have the house to yourselves most of every day (and most nights). Again, if I can be of any assistance to you please call me.

SamIV
09-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I appreciate your offer Chris. Last night we got electricity, before the hospital. We are one of the few neighborhoods that has electricity. Don't know how they picked us but I am grateful. And cable came on here also. We all don't have to sit in the same room and listed to the radio. Most of the city will be out for a couple more weeks.

All these little conveniences that are at our whim on a daily basis, we take for granted. Flipping on a light switch, toilets that flush, water out of a faucet, air conditioning. A hot shower will be nice.

Thanks again Chris for your hospitality. Billy also has been offering his help with roofing, food, fuel, ice, generator, and countless other offerings that I can't remember on an hourly basis. He was ready at a moments notice to help. Thanks again Billy for your concern. Good luck to you Mike in NC. We have another one coming in our direction.

Sincerely,
Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
come on it wasnt every hour it was every 2 hours i was trying to help!

Anyways Ike looks really pissed off right now so we gotta keep a keen eye on him. It would take a cat 5 direct hit for us to consider leaving our house since all the large trees around the house are GONE from katrina.

Not Sure if I got the heart to go thru rebuilding again. Im really missing the 120 and dry heat of vegas right now.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Just Tracked IKE on the NOAA site... Looks like we might get to do our week in the Keys after all.

If that things strengthens when it gets into the Gulf, Texas could get hit pretty hard.

Currently 120mph winds and right over Cuba, moving west at 13mph.

Pro-Scapes
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
If you cant do the keys consider taking the vacation and volunteering for the red cross in the area that gets hit. Its an experience that will change your life. The projections moved slightly north last night and now includes the MS gulf coast and worse yet new orleans and houma

Chris J
09-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I used to feel sorry for us Floridians when it came to the barrage of hurricanes upon us every year. Seems like the folks from the bayou, and adjacent cities, are getting pounded more and more frequently.
Hope you guys can manage it all.

Mark B
09-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I hope you guys in TX are holding on and are strapped in somewhere.