PDA

View Full Version : sprinkler heads

bayaa
01-29-2002, 04:08 AM
when it comes to fix spray heads made by toro and rainbird is one better than the other or they just the same except for how their nozzles are screwed in. What do you guys use when it comes to rotors or gear driven heads, I've always used hunter pgps or pgms. Has anybody used Toro or rainbird rotors. What im asking here is are all these diffrent sprinkler equipment companys the same or is one better than the other?

HBFOXJr
01-29-2002, 07:20 AM
Hunter I20 rotors and Hunter Institutional sprays with RB nozzzles.

Rain Bird has the best nozzles in sprays and rotors. I just don't like Rain Bird or their rotors.

SprinklerGuy
01-29-2002, 08:49 AM
HB?
Just curious as to why the hunter bodies and RB nozzles. I do the same usually though I hate VAN nozzles and when I need adjustable I usually use the hunter nozzle which I also hate.

HBFOXJr
01-29-2002, 09:19 AM
Origonally I used all RB, got familiar with specs and capabilities. Liked the results. RB has an excellent selection too.

We stock each circle radius 8'-15' in half & full, use vans for any other pattern so thats a total 3 nozzle types for each radius. Then we stock center, end and side strips in the 4xXX size. Those 15 nozzles usually give us what we want. Occasionally we have to get some bubblers or streams but we've pretty much tried to cut that stuff out.

gusbuster
01-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Harold,

Have you ever used the U-series nozzles from RB?? We've been using them for the last 4 years with excellent results. Use to use the MPR version, but have swithed since. Use to have bad coverage when soding.(yes I have head to head to head coverage.)

Also, Why don't you like RB bodies? Just up to recently, Hunter bodies haven't been reliably stocked at my supply house. Use to be cheaper to get the RB 1800's than hunters. Now it's not that much different.

John

bayaa
01-30-2002, 01:32 AM
Gusbuster
Do you charge by the sq. ft. for sod and sprinklers or by the job?

Planter
01-30-2002, 01:33 AM
Gusbuster,

I use Hunter nozzles and bodies. The bodies are about $0.15 cheaper here and the nozzles are about $0.25 to $0.31 cheaper. I would like to use the Rainbird U nozzle but they are about $0.40 more than the Hunter. I've had good success with the Hunter body, but I'd like to use the Rainbird 1800. I think it's easier to take apart and service.

I have a friend that uses Champion nozzles, they are cheaper than the Hunters.

We live in Rainbird country, with the 1800 being the most used spray and the MaxiPaw the most used rotor, with a smattering of R50s and some of the newer Rainbirds.

We live a few miles from Orbit, but no one here uses them, except the homeowner installed systems. We just fix them (often) by replacing them with Hunters.

HBFOXJr
01-30-2002, 07:17 AM
I use Hunter bodies 'cause I get points for buying Hunter products. The Institutional sprays are great with a a pressure reg and check valve included.

I did use RB 1800 series from the day they were introduced. We thought they were hot stuff coming from the brass age. They are an excellent head but Hunter now has it matched.

U nozzles, didn't know they existed but looked in the catalog at specs. Same spec as MPR which is ok. I've just never had the problem with coverage with mpr nozzles, but obviously if they make these, someone has.

My bad experience was about 20 yr ago when using RB brass nozzles on the 1800. They are dual orifice too. The job had a booster pump and we had head to head but brown spots a few feet out from the heads. I changed one or two nozzles to plastic mpr's and fired it up with out the pump. Visually it looked better and in a few days the turf was better too. From then on it was mpr nozzles.

I'm wondering if too high a pressure at the head has caused you coverage in the past. Anything more than 30psi at the nozzle on a spray makes coverage deteriorate.

gusbuster
01-30-2002, 11:30 PM
Harold,
Just like you, I'm an old hand at this. I only deal with fixed spray sprinks due to size lawns I work with. So can't realy speak about the best rotors or impacts.

The reason we switched to the U series nozzles is due to high wind situation that I get sometimes here. With regular mpr nozzles and new sod jobs, the combo of high wind and warm weather would cause poor coverage right in front of the head. Since switching to this nozzle, never have had a problem in the last 6 years. The bottom orifice shoots a flat 8'spread.

John

jman00
01-30-2002, 11:49 PM
when you say you live close to orbit, do you mean their plant or their offices. rotor heads are made in the hunter factory on this side of the country. they are assmebled by the same workers. i think that that is odd.

Planter
01-31-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by jman00
when you say you live close to orbit, do you mean their plant or their offices. rotor heads are made in the hunter factory on this side of the country. they are assmebled by the same workers. i think that that is odd.

I live about 20 miles north of the main office and warehouse. I knew the rotors and nozzles looked exactly like Hunter's, but I thought they were cheap foreign knock-offs. Is the plant owned by Hunter or is it a sub-contractor for them?

Kevin

HBFOXJr
01-31-2002, 08:02 AM
So wind is the evil enemy of good coverage. Do you have high city water pressure where you are?

Around here if it is over 60psi you think you in tall clover. Either side of 50psi is the norm if there is a norm. Most of the time I try to engineer for at least 35psi at the head.

gusbuster
01-31-2002, 09:26 AM
Harold,
I can go from 25psi with a 3gpm flow up to 130psi(i think thats the highest i've seen. Depending on what city I'm working in average is around 45 to 50 psi. Just depends how far away the city block is from a well source or tank source.

John

HBFOXJr
01-31-2002, 11:16 AM
How about some input on svc contracts if you use them.

SprinklerGuy
01-31-2002, 12:15 PM
yeah, comeon give up the info.....i'll send ya a copy of mine!

gusbuster
01-31-2002, 09:02 PM
Harold and Tony,
I don't do service(sprinkler)maintenace contracts. Plus, many people either fix it themselves or have their own gardner. Majority of any maintenance\service incedents happen on my own maintenace clients.(helper kicking sprinkler that type of stuff.)
Re- programming of timers, that kind of stuff, if one of my maintenace clients, part of service, but non-client min.$25 service call.

John