PDA

View Full Version : light landscaping- Flower bed redo.

08-30-2008, 02:41 AM
This took us 24 man hours, spread over 2 days. That includes time bringing the mini back and forth to the rental store,goin to the dump, and lunch both days :)

Next time this will be a one day job, just gotta get started earlier the first day. (we didnt start til 11 the first day, and called it quits at 5)

What we started with:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/livelifedaily/Image%20Property%20Service/CIMG0360.jpg
How it turned out:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/livelifedaily/Image%20Property%20Service/CIMG0379.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/livelifedaily/Image%20Property%20Service/CIMG0376.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/livelifedaily/Image%20Property%20Service/CIMG0381.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/livelifedaily/Image%20Property%20Service/CIMG0384.jpg

Gotta say renting the mini was $$ well spent!

08-30-2008, 03:35 AM
Oh forgot to mention, had neighbors stopping by as I finished up... getting compliments and handing out cards!!

Junior M
08-30-2008, 10:11 AM
wow that looks good..

did you really need that mini? or was the ground that hard? I would have hand dug that if i didnt own one.. renting is a huge aggravation.. But that is just my opinion..

08-30-2008, 11:04 AM
wow that looks good..

did you really need that mini? or was the ground that hard? I would have hand dug that if i didnt own one.. renting is a huge aggravation.. But that is just my opinion..

Yes we needed it! Who wants to shovel all day, when you can use the mini and be done in 40 minutes?! The ground was dry black dirt, but we were digging almost a foot deep to get down to good hard clay to build our base on. When we filled our trench with Class 5 we used 4 yards, no way I would of wanted to dig 4 yards by hand. Time is money!

Rental was only 150 including taxes and everything for a half day. Oh yeah, no agravation renting here, just swing in, sign the rental contract, load up and go, 15 minutes tops.

Kennedy Landscaping
08-30-2008, 12:56 PM
looks nice, is that the customer in pic 1?

Tyler7692
08-30-2008, 01:00 PM
What did the job totat run, if you don't mind my asking? Ballpark is cool.

08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
What did the job totat run, if you don't mind my asking? Ballpark is cool.

It was just under 2k.

looks nice, is that the customer in pic 1?

Thanks, yes that is the home owner in the pic.

Green Team Landscaping
08-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Wow. Very nice. Hahaha and what part of light landscaping means an excavator?;)

08-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Wow. Very nice. Hahaha and what part of light landscaping means an excavator?;)

haha well its pretty light landscaping, its not like it was a whole yard redo. But we may end up doing some more work at this house. :)

South Florida Lawns
08-31-2008, 01:57 PM
looks good, really cleaned it up nice. I would have just had 5 mexicans do the digging and save money. But thats just me.

shethinksmytractors_sexy
08-31-2008, 04:12 PM
why didnt you cap it? i hate seeing walls like this because they do not look finished.

08-31-2008, 07:17 PM
why didnt you cap it? i hate seeing walls like this because they do not look finished.

I offered to cap it to the customer and they did not want it.

Junior M
08-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes we needed it! Who wants to shovel all day, when you can use the mini and be done in 40 minutes?! The ground was dry black dirt, but we were digging almost a foot deep to get down to good hard clay to build our base on. When we filled our trench with Class 5 we used 4 yards, no way I would of wanted to dig 4 yards by hand. Time is money!

Rental was only 150 including taxes and everything for a half day. Oh yeah, no agravation renting here, just swing in, sign the rental contract, load up and go, 15 minutes tops.
your rental was only 150? holy crap our rental is over 200 dollars! and we get a discount! why did you dig so deep? you couldnt have dug over half a block deep tamped the dirt alot! and then put your base in? I am just wondering why you did it this way.

09-01-2008, 12:05 AM
your rental was only 150? holy crap our rental is over 200 dollars! and we get a discount! why did you dig so deep? you couldnt have dug over half a block deep tamped the dirt alot! and then put your base in? I am just wondering why you did it this way.

I wanted a good base that will not move at all. We dug to the clay, put in class 5, and packed it good with a jumpin jack tamper. This way I have no worries about it settleing ever.

Junior M
09-01-2008, 01:00 AM
I wanted a good base that will not move at all. We dug to the clay, put in class 5, and packed it good with a jumpin jack tamper. This way I have no worries about it settleing ever.
oh ok... did you know how deep you were goin to have to go?

Riley Lawn Service
09-01-2008, 01:06 AM
you should have had the grass come all the way up next to the edging it would look much cleaner

Kennedy Landscaping
09-01-2008, 01:11 AM
you should have had the grass come all the way up next to the edging it would look much cleaner

Maybe there is grass there, just under the dirt, in that case it'll grow through. But I probably would've thrown down some seed, but then again maybe the customer didn't want that. Still looks nice though.

09-01-2008, 01:18 AM
oh ok... did you know how deep you were goin to have to go?

Not specifically, just know that in this area the clay is usually within a foot of the surface.

Maybe there is grass there, just under the dirt, in that case it'll grow through. But I probably would've thrown down some seed, but then again maybe the customer didn't want that. Still looks nice though.

It is seeded. I am also going back to aerate and overseed the area that we packed down from working near it.

OUTLANDER
11-19-2008, 11:24 AM
why not if anything just a sod cutter.....(cheaper, and more efficient) for something that size

11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
why not if anything just a sod cutter.....(cheaper, and more efficient) for something that size

Because I wanted a solid base. I dont want it to look cheasy in a couple years because the base was bad. In any project the base is the most important. I have a solid packed class 5 base that will not move, much better then if it was just the sod cut out and landscaping built on top of black dirt.

OUTLANDER
11-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Because I wanted a solid base. I dont want it to look cheasy in a couple years because the base was bad. In any project the base is the most important. I have a solid packed class 5 base that will not move, much better then if it was just the sod cut out and landscaping built on top of black dirt.

i agree the base is the most important part in building walls, but that not being my point. I was refering to the excavating part...a sod cutter can cut out much deeper than just the sod, especially with several passes, and that equipment you had is kinda over doing it (for a job that size).....you wouldn't have to repair damage to the lawn as said a few posts ago also....IMO

slamjamrockinman
11-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Nice job! i love your truck lettering. Where are you from? I swear I saw that same dirtbike in your sig in the local classifieds. Is it yours??

Tyler7692
11-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Image, what did you do with the excavated dirt, haul it away? Use it in the bed?