PDA

View Full Version : I Need a price check on a Small paver gob.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-30-2008, 07:22 AM
I had a woman call me yesterday,wanting me to put a patio out her back door .When I got there it way smaller then what see kinda told me on the phone .The size is something around 6x10 so 60sf to 100sf job .
Its on the back side of a house(wheel barrel is the only way of getting every thing back there )
grade is flat.
Pavers will be used (belgard or Cemex unless she like the paverstone from homedepo )
The gob is going to be done correct with platepaker gravel and sand.Just wondering how you guys charge for such a small area.
Buy the job ,hr ,sf
I kind would like to see what the average price pr SF you guys are getting .

Top Dog Pavers
08-30-2008, 10:53 AM
You need to price excavation+ materials + labor+ profit...we all have different needs....I cant do a job for under $1500, no matter how small.

08-30-2008, 12:53 PM
You need to price excavation+ materials + labor+ profit...we all have different needs....I cant do a job for under $1500, no matter how small.

Is That $1500 for labor only !!

LB1234
08-30-2008, 08:34 PM
there is no such thing as an average charge per square foot. It differs with so many factors. Only way I get a per square foot price is AFTER the job is finished. The price I quote is per job.

As an example...we did a rectangular patio about 16x24 and the square foot price came out to be about $14.86 ft2. Same house, same pavers we installed a landing about a week later for a deck steps they had put in...was about 6x9. Total cost came out to $34.38 ft2.

08-30-2008, 10:13 PM
there is no such thing as an average charge per square foot. It differs with so many factors. Only way I get a per square foot price is AFTER the job is finished. The price I quote is per job.

As an example...we did a rectangular patio about 16x24 and the square foot price came out to be about $14.86 ft2. Same house, same pavers we installed a landing about a week later for a deck steps they had put in...was about 6x9. Total cost came out to $34.38 ft2.

OK on the 6x9 @ $34 a 2ft if you don't mind me asking what was the cost per man HR and how much grading and if that just for the pavers or for clean up and grass or mulch around the patio.

LB1234
08-31-2008, 01:29 PM
OK on the 6x9 @ $34 a 2ft if you don't mind me asking what was the cost per man HR and how much grading and if that just for the pavers or for clean up and grass or mulch around the patio.

Good questions...

I performed the job over two days. Started Saturday around 7:30 am and ended around 1...that includes travel time for three of us. One guy running a second truck/trailer for materials (Sand, QP, Geo Fabric) most of the time. Two of us excavated by hand 6" down and 6" outside paver area, installed geofabric and compacted QP in 3-4 lifts. Set that to grade and went home.

Came back Monday morning. Two of us verified grade/slope and set up screed rails, screeded sand. Third guy was picking up pavers. One pavers arrived one guyu transported pavers to the pad, another placed them in, and another was running two yards of topsoil around the landing since it was set into a small hillside (hard to explain). Then we swept poly sand, compacted, and swept more sand, and watered in three times over about twenty minutes.

All in all total man-hours I estimated around 33 man-hours. Of which I wasted about a 1.5 hrs b/c we made a mistake squared the landing to the steps and had to pull up and reset. We charged around 1700 for that small landing. I inlcuded in the cost two extra yards of topsoil for grading purposes and a man-hour to seed/grade. FYI, the other landscape/hardscape work (around 9k) included repairing turf, overseeding rear yard, etc. So I included some grade work but not as much if it was just a 'solo' job.

hope this helps.

01-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Man I look back at this and Kinda crack a grin . Saying to my self what a noob. I look back at this and Say Don't price this stuff by the foot at all. Just takes time to learn how to bid on jobs. PS I did not get this job she was wanting it done cheaper then the price for the pavers with out even a base being put down !!!

dubb
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM
thats when u gotta say hell with these kindof people. i know you wanted to do the job and make a little bit of profit on it but look at all the time you wasted with this customer. you have to learn how to read people and before you even bid the job figure out the amount of money they are willing to spend. good luck in the future!!

loupiscopolandscaping
01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
1400-1500 for everything...60 to 100 sq ft be finished in a day tops with 2 guys on the job

01-09-2010, 09:32 AM
1400-1500 for everything...60 to 100 sq ft be finished in a day tops with 2 guys on the job
What brand paver is that ?
How much base?
How thick your sand ?
and is that landscaped back to a turn key job?

Pittsburgh Stone83
01-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Man I look back at this and Kinda crack a grin . Saying to my self what a noob. I look back at this and Say Don't price this stuff by the foot at all. Just takes time to learn how to bid on jobs. PS I did not get this job she was wanting it done cheaper then the price for the pavers with out even a base being put down !!!

You NEVER charge according to the square foot. Always break everything down individually. And always remember...... sometimes the best jobs go to the other guys. Meaning you should be thankful that somebody else has to deal with a dead beat client while you exhaust energy into something worth while.

Fiano Landscapes
01-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Mike,

I really appreiciate you looking to learn more about hardscapes and bidding, but I would recommend you letting this one go by. By your questions I can tell you need to learn a little about your own business (expenses, costs, and processes). I always said that I am a landscaper thats trying to become a businessman. I didn't get a business degree, and then decide to get into landscaping. That being said I have had to learn by making mistakes. Looking back on things I would have slowed down alittle and educated myself a little more about my business. There is a lot of things to learn about business, and there is no easy answer to this other than education.

I would recommend you looking into going to the I.C.P.I. course. It will give you insight into alot of these things, and situations to watch out for. As well as allow you to learn about these processes. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, because it is my intention to help you through my dumb decisions, and not looking at the big picture. If I had to do it all over this would have been my approach. Most of us men though are hard headed, and have to learn the hard way.

Good Luck!!!!

01-23-2010, 10:01 AM
UPdate This is a old post.
IM not looking to get a price for this job at all. This post was started in 2008. This job was so small . I had never ran across how to price somthing so small. (or work with a client that has no idea what stuff cost ) So Please dont pm me a price or how I should do it. I was just looking back in my old post and cracked a Grin when I read it.Since now I just weed out bad (cheap clients )
But Thanks for all the imput and ideas

ProScape Canada
02-28-2010, 01:04 AM
I'd be looking 2200-2400 for 60 sq.ft. and on one level it doesn't even seem that worth it to me. Glad you didn't get the job in a way, more of a horror story waiting to happen. I know you have your answer but for anyone else looking this up you have to consider your material, delivery (what would it cost if your machine broke to order the materials), taxes, markup on material (say 20%) and man hours (say $50-$55 per hour if your paying them $10, remember wsib, taxes, insurance, uniform, phones) and then normally I add an o-crap markup of 10%-20% (which is also my performance bond) to cover any small accidents or imperfections that may happen and the client wants repaired within 30 days (turf damage, driveway sealing, replacing bricks).

brickpuller
02-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I would charge about $1500 + materials assuming that 2-3 guys can complete it in an 8 hour day. You should really be able to do it with two guys. Better yet try to get two of these jobs and schedule a 4 man crew to finish both in one day. This was you will be sure to make a good profit and the guys won't be able the stretch the job out.

PatriotLandscape
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
A great way to qualify your customer on the spot is to drop a price range. Depending on the situation I will say a job like this is usually in the range of X-Y and see what they say. If they are not interested after that then great you didn't go back to your office spend 2 hours travel time another appointment and time wasted giving a presentation to get "Wow thats a lot more than what I was planning on spending." I always have our portfolio and have a wide range of patios/walks/wall etc. and will try to find something similar for them to look at then let them know what that paticular job was. One thing is that if if it and they like it then they WANT it and if they want it then you have the sale.

STRINGALATION
03-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Funny funnny this is and old post old post

Chilehead
03-03-2010, 02:19 AM
I really envy all of you who are getting $1500.00 for a job this size. In the Atlanta market, some of the most reputable companies would be lucky to get $800.00 for a job this size. $10.00-$12.00 per square foot INSTALLED is the going rate for your basic holland or mosaic paver. The Atlanta market has always been at the bottom when it comes to pricing for everything. Heck, retaining walls are around $18-$20 per square face foot.

mcw615
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Never bid by the square foot, always by the job. I interview the client, get the budget. Then will give them a BALL PARK estimate range by the square foot from similar jobs in the past ONLY if I don't feel good about the client seriously considering getting this work done, but every bid I look into every aspect of my costs and planned profit. If I feel I can comfortably perform their project within their budget then I will invest some time and work a consultation and be serious with them.

I recently met with a prospect about a retaining wall. She told me she was thinking in the range of 7-8k. I told her I would love to work with you, but compared to similar jobs in the past we are looking at roughly 15k. She said that is far out of her budget or would be willing to spend on a wall but thanked me for spending the time to meet with her. That is an initial consultation. After that I charge for a more in depth consultation with prospect clients, providing them with samples, options, soil testing etc.

You cant go to an lawyers office for legal advice on your situation and just to hear your legal options of what you can do without paying him a fee. Last week I had to pay $88.00 for a consultation with an oral surgeon for me to sit down for 5 min and for him to look in my mouth and look at the x-rays my dentist took to tell me $2,200.00. Forced to pay it. Some clients will ask why we and professional landscape firms charge for consultations. I explain it is our experience, knowledge, and expertise they are getting, and we work with them throughout the consultation to make sure we are meeting their needs, sure an inexperienced guy might have 'figured' out what the larger guys are charging and thinks he can charge the same not knowing what he's doing all with a free consultation, but since his free consultation only consisted of asking what they wanted and showing them two options and giving them a summed price he will only be laying a paver or building a wall to last up to his 2 year warranty, we do background research and engineering to prevent settlement which every contractor should be doing to build projects to last far beyond the warranty period and I explain that and then the client realizes there is a lot in this and should go with someone who knows what they are talking about and its a big red flag when the other guy says you don't need rock to put behind your wall, it will last as long as we build each layer level.