PDA

View Full Version : Another Bark Blower Thread!

Meadowbrook
08-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok, so what is everyone's opinion on bark blowers? I've been checking some out, doing research, finding a few used ones & of course, looking on here to see what people said. The goods that I have found are: major time savers, possibly using a bit less mulch (?), and a great finish (Which apparently is a commodity around here lately). The bads that I've found are: A lot of dust if it's dry or windy (without liquid injection), clodding, machines jamming up (which is probably operator error), inability to do smaller tree rings, and that's about all. I'm not really into spending $30k for one right now, but I have been looking at a couple older models of the FINN AEM 20. Has anyone had any experience with a machine like this? If so I'd like to hear about it, good & bad. Thanks all!

Chris

USI Lawns
08-31-2008, 02:46 PM
I've worked for a company that had bark blowers and yes they are dusty. When you get close to houses the dust rolls up in the air and covers you and the window seals, make sure all windows are shut. They are also loud. The person has to normally fill it with a pitch fork, this gets very hard on your back. But on steep slopes and wide open areas they are great. Its a big investment it could be worth it, if you put down alot of mulch. My old company put down around 25,000 yrds in a year. I'm sure the blower paid for itself pretty quick. Hope this info helps.

Meadowbrook
09-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow, 25k yards a year. Thats a real nice amount of mulch. We do about 1k to 1500 yards a year right now without a blower. I'm almost positive we can do more. I've been outbid on a couple of jobs because we don't have a blower & the other companies do. They can charge less because of using less labor. I just wanted to get everyones opinion in one location rather than searching on here for a long time.

As far as hard on the person's back to keep feeding the hopper, IMO, it's just as hard filling a wheelbarrow, it's just not continuous work like with a blower. Do you actually use less mulch? Or is that just a marketing ploy that the mfg.'s use?

Chris

USI Lawns
09-01-2008, 10:09 PM
You may use less mulch, but to me it wouldnt be the selling point to buy one. On a daily averege 2 men would put down 40yrds, during the busy season. The guy in the back of the truck would be worn after this. Not sure how long he would do this before quiting, we went though many laborers. I'm on my own now without a blower,most of my jobs are small now. Its a big purchase to own one. Best of luck.

Meadowbrook
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree, whomever is shoveling the mulch out of the truck is gonna be a tired pup by the end of the day, but changing positions can't hurt either. Everyone would have to be trained as to how to spread mulch using a blower, when the guy on the truck tires out, he can go hold the hose for a lil' bit & rest while the guy that was blowing mulch can shovel for a while.

Chris

syzer
09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Ok, so what is everyone's opinion on bark blowers? I've been checking some out, doing research, finding a few used ones & of course, looking on here to see what people said. The goods that I have found are: major time savers, possibly using a bit less mulch (?), and a great finish (Which apparently is a commodity around here lately). The bads that I've found are: A lot of dust if it's dry or windy (without liquid injection), clodding, machines jamming up (which is probably operator error), inability to do smaller tree rings, and that's about all. I'm not really into spending $30k for one right now, but I have been looking at a couple older models of the FINN AEM 20. Has anyone had any experience with a machine like this? If so I'd like to hear about it, good & bad. Thanks all!

Chris

-Can be dusty, we use water injection, so there is VERY little problem with this.

-Machine jamming up is rare, and if its not then its operator error, or a poor machine or hose.

Smaller tree rings can be done, its a matter of experience. Worse case scenario you take three seconds and pat it down with your foot, or have the clean up gu touch them up. Usually not necessary.

One thing that ticks me off is wet died mulch from spring rains. This will stain everything it touches, plant leaves, siding, etc. You have to be good and creative to handle these issues. This is the only big negative we have found.

My guys put down around 25 yards in two hours, two guys on the machine.

Good Luck

Before being finished with stickers, simulators, etc.
http://www.precision-aquatics.com/gallery/albums/album04/1_G.sized.jpg